Cadillac Owners Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 2.0T 6spd stalling...

22K views 91 replies 21 participants last post by  Hoosier Daddy 
#1 ·
First post on here unfortunately is to complain about my new ATS. The car keeps stalling while in neutral when slowing down in traffic or stopping at a light. The idle stumbles a bit then its off. Its getting to be really annoying and I know if I go to the dealer it won't do it. Anyone else have this issue and know of a fix ?

#5 ·
The car has 1500 miles. I have been running premium fuel from day 1. I was told it will either A. go away. B could be only when it is a full tank of gas (canister would need to be replaced in the tank. or C. camshaft actuator needs to be replaced. I will fill it full of gas this week and see if it does it. If not then I have to watch and see if it tries to stall and I give it gas it doesn't help. Then its the cam actuator. There is a rod in the camshaft actuator that gets stuck. It can wear down in time and that would make the problem go away. I will know more in a week or so.

#7 ·
Hello Exclusiveink,

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you as part of the Cadillac community. I am sorry your ATS is stalling also. I understand your frustration with this situation, especially after only owning the vehicle for 4 months. If you would like to further discuss this concern with us, please reach out via private message and include your contact information and VIN.

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#8 ·
The day before yesterday my car stalled again. It had not happened in over a month. And earlier today it stalled again. It always happens when I have the gear in neutral slowing down to come to a complete stop. As soon as I stop,the car just turns off. It doesn't make any noice or shake like when you stall a manual car when you release the clutch too fast. It simply turns off. I had a little over half a tank of gas and my car is at around 1900 miles now.

#13 ·
Hello Exclusiveink,

Welcome to the forum! We are happy to have you as part of the Cadillac community. I am sorry your vehicle stalled again as you were turning. I understand how this can be a frustrating situation to deal with when your vehicle is new to you. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your current situation. Please contact us via private message and include your contact information, VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#17 ·
Hello mechevar,

I am sorry your vehicle stalled twice this past week while waiting at lights. I understand your annoyance with this situation. Are you going to bring it by the dealer to have them check it out? Let us know if you would like to further discuss this concern with us. We can be contacted via private message and look forward to assisting you throughout this matter.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#18 ·
Just now becoming a part of this forum, so please excuse me if I plow any old ground. I have a 2.0T with 6-speed manual. Current mileage is 10,331 after just shy of 6 months. Mine had the coast & stall issue, too. I thought it was an unhappy Turbo or wastegate. I took it to the dealer (who has treated me quite well, by the way) for an oil change. They were able to address this issue with a sensor. No issues since for that form of stalling.
A couple of weeks ago, I went back for the next oil change, which they said needs to be at less than7500 miles on the turbos. They kept the car for a week to change the pan gasket and other seals that were causing an oil leak.
Last Friday, I left work for lunch. When I shifted to 2nd, the car stalled for just a second (totally dead), then picked up as normal. I was wondering how the heck I did that...
Next stop light, I turned left, shifted to 2nd, and it died hard. I was stuck in the middle of a very busy Ft. Worth street for 45 minutes waiting on a tow. Definitely an electrical issue. Flashers worked, but nothing else. OnStar was dead. Had a long armed friend reach the trunk release to check the battery. Nothing evident. As of yesterday, it had a melted fuse block (don't know which one). Changed it today. Now it needs one of the computers. If it arrives tomorrow, we will see if it works.

#21 ·
Wow, same intermitent problem for me with a "quiet stall" while coasting to a stop. If I recall, my foot has completed depressed the clutch each time. It happened 4 times in a two week period. I brought it in for service and they couldn't replicate the problem and thus could neither diagnose or fix the problem. I have had the car back for two weeks and it hasn't happened again.

#22 ·
Hello sd vidiot,

I am sorry for the intermittent stalling issue you are experiencing with your ATS. I understand how this can be frustrating to deal with. I see you have already worked with the service department at the dealer in the recent past, and they were not able to duplicate the issue at the time. I am glad the past couple of weeks your car has been running smoothly and I hope your vehicle continues to run like this. If additional concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to contact us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#23 ·
I'm really glad to hear (sorry) that others are having this problem also. I've recently given up on GM fixing it, or not just blaming me and doing nothing to alleviate the issue. I've spoken with the GM reps here, don't waste your time!.. Someone calls you and sets up a case, then after about a week they reiterate what the dealer said and does nothing for you, and I mean nothing.
The dealer installed a data logger in mine and with the results back blamed me. Said I was stalling the car. I was dumbfounded by this. I explained that wasn't the case, I was definitely in neutral when it happened..

I'd love for this to be fixed, luckily at times it won't happen for a month or so but then it will do it a couple of times in a short period of time.

I'd like for all of us to band together on an email or something and push this at GM to fix, it's ridiculous and I've wasted a lot of time working with the dealer and customer support to only become more angry and to be blamed for the issue.

I will file my problem with the NHTSA this weekend and post the case # or whatever it gives me.

#24 ·
Here is what my dealer told me on Friday. They claim to have reached out to both the ATS quality brand manager and the ATS powertrain manager. They were unable to duplicate but believe this scenario is likely: IF you are in any gear but first with the clutch out (even .5" off the floor) and the RPMs fall below 600, the ECM assumes a stall is emanate and kills the engine preemptively. I contend that if your foot is off the clutch all the way, in a gear, that the coupling of the trans to the flywheel will slow the engine to below an appropriate started recognition speed and stall the engine on its own, it does not need help. The idea of killing the engine at speeds < 600 even with the clutch "out" is insane. All it takes is a little stumble because of the AC compressor kicking on and engine speed could easily fall momentary and safely recover. It seems they are trying to save the clutch with software when I contend the benefit of the engine running should be afforded to the driver, for safety. I understand the concept of what they are trying to do and why it could makes sense. However, it obviously is effecting real world driving in situations that surely are not intended for the ECM to intervene. I've asked the dealer to have the ATS powertrain manger contact me, the dealer acted like they would try but made it seem unlikely that they would be willing to have a conversation with me.

#26 ·
Hello jae7373,

Thank you very much for keeping us updated on what the dealership has stated. I apologize that you are not satisfied with the respond you have gotten from them. If you would like to discuss this issue further, or would like any assistance in setting up an appointment with another dealership for a second opinion, please feel free to private message us. You can also contact us at socialmedia@gm.com if you are unable to contact us via private message. Please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#29 ·
Hello JLGT,

I am sorry to hear that your ATS stalled 5 times today. I would suggest taking your vehicle into your Cadillac dealership and having them look into this concern. I would be more than happy to assist you in making the appointment if you would like. Please feel free to private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with if you would like any assistance working with your dealership. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#30 ·
And I thought I was just being foolish since I was driving auto for so long....Anytime I put into nuertral to pass a speedbump theres a chance of it happening...at least a total of 10 times in the 3 weeks I've had the car (as I pass speedbumps daily)....

Love to know what the reason is..

#33 ·
I think it's great (obviously its sucky but you know what I mean) that you have correlated it to speed bumps. I've thought it was random to this point, so if it could be duplicated easily by driving over a speed bump, we might have a chance of figuring out the problem.

----------

One more thing... I thought if we could tweet @Cadillac @GM @NHTSAgov every time it happened we could illustrate the frequency so GM knows its an issue. I put a #lemon at the end but perhaps a #ATSStall would be more descriptive. Who's with me?

#32 ·
I'm in the Lemon Law process with GM as well. Mine stalled again this morning, slowing down at a stop light, in neutral. So far its a joke, GM's alternative dispute team offered me free maintenance for 2 years, seemingly unaware that all new Cadillacs come with 4 years of maintenance included. Plus you know a free oil chance will do wonders for random stalling.

#38 ·
See listen carefully if the dealer can't duplicate it you are SOL. SOL. That's how GM has been getting away with this issue. No code NO can do. So you are SOL every time you take it back the guarenttee answer is no problem can't duplicate no fix no pass go for you.gm is out to f. Everyone they can you can lemon law all you want BUT I say again no code no duplicate you are screwed

----------

I should know I was one of the first to lemon law this car and no resolution so far be prepared for arbitration GM does not listen. It's all about money

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.