A Letter to Cadillac
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, A Letter to Cadillac in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Please powers that be at Cadillac make the front verticle LED light pipe standard across your entire line in 2015..... ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

A Letter to Cadillac

Please powers that be at Cadillac make the front verticle LED light pipe standard across your entire line in 2015.....

There was a movie in the '80's titled 'Making the Grade' where a kid is giving lessons on how to dress acceptably, in the scene he takes three polo shirts and lays them down one at a time. First he puts down the Ralph Lauren and says "Preppy come lately", then a polo whose logo is a gator riding a horse and says "Preppy come never", and finally he puts down a LaCoste and says "Preppy forever".

Audi, having ascended to it's current heights, on the back of Quattro, and overcoming a PR and sales disaster brought on by '60 minutes' faked unintended acceleration story.
    "Preppy come lately"

Lexus, steadily marching to it's heights from a humble Mercedes knock off in 1986 when Toyota figured out no one here would spend over $30,000 on a Japanese car, solution, fool us Americans with a trumped up luxury brand.
    "Preppy come lately"

BMW, having ascended to it's current heights in the '80's on the back of the excellent 3 series and putting performance parts in practical cars making them fun.
    Arguably "Preppy come lately"

Hyundai, having not learned the Lexus lesson, and testing the star quality of their brand with the Genesis then doubling down on this strategy with the Equus, and still hasn't figured out that Luxury cars are optional, not necessary for daily transportation needs, and that as options for well heeled buyers those buyers value brand and image over a great value and that sometimes luxury is being able to afford the more expensive choice.
    "Preppy come never"

Mercedes Benz, having invented the car, was a high end brand and stayed a high end brand for over a century, and have a track record of bringing technological and safety innovations to us that we didn't even know we wanted, much like Apple has for consumer electronics.
    "Preppy forever"

Cadillac, has a history much like Mercedes Benz, yet they relinquished their leadership role and squandered their brand equity in the '70's, '80's, and '90's.
    they should be "Preppy forever", but 30 years of brand damage, and a great turnaround in the 2000's leaves them a "Preppy come lately".

I say all this because I think Cadillac needs to give a little more to it's customers. Love it or hate it Lexus' new grill is distinctive, as is BMW's quad round headlights and kidney grill, Audi's rings are world renowned and historic, Lastly and most notably, Mercedes' 3 point star is probably in the top five of most recognized icons.

Cadillac is getting there, but needs a push, the previously mentioned German marques are without fail or exception distinctive, and instantly recognizable, at a glance you instantly know what's rolling your way. I believe Cadillac is poised to join their ranks, yet too often I'm asked what is it that I'm driving, distinctive, though 'Art & Science' may be, it seems the wreath and crest has lost its mindshare.

I believe lighting can be a small push in the right direction, there is absolutely no mistaking BMW's quad round headlamps, and they just heightened and enhanced them by making them visible in daylight with the halos an effort so successful it sparked an industry of copycat halo applications for virtually every car made. Audi has had similar success with the LED DRL, there's even a commercial featuring a disgruntled tow truck operator talking about never having hooked one and when he says "those eyes" you immediately know what he means, also these too have spawned an industry for lighting upgrades and have set styling trends among nearly every brand. Cadillac has this too, but in my estimation, by only applying the LEDs to half their cars, they're doing a disservice to the cars, the brand and us customers, fans and enthusiasts.

My wish is for Cadillac to embrace the vertical LED, brand it, market it, make it as integral a part of the brand as the fangs are to a roaring tiger, but you won't get there, if your newest car, the car that's powering tremendous sales growth for you only has them on a portion of those produced. I'm not asking for all the equipment of the top model for the price of the bottom, I'm asking for a beautiful character feature be divorced from the options list and added to the styling and brand list. By doing so, I believe you'll make the pull of a brand people aspire to so much greater.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Wookie
    Ormond, gohawks63 and ATom92 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: A Letter to Cadillac

I see your point! Just a short comment: You mentioned Audis and their LED DRL. Audi A4 and ATS are in the same class. If you want to buy an A4 and get LED DRL, you need to pay more and buy premium plus or prestige trims. The base trim, which is called premium, comes with Halogen lights:

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a4

I am not saying that the Cadillac needs to follow the same marketing strategies that Audi does. I just wanted to keep the comparison fair.

I see that some complain about specific options that they think must be standard. Example: cold weather package. We had many threads about such things. I personally prefer to have options to choose from, and don't want to be forced to pay for something that I don't need or like! I live in Hawaii and I don't like to be charged for something like heated seats, etc! But this specific case, LEDs, makes more sense than others, if you are arguing it is somehow connected with the image of the Cadillac.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I agree that the Light blade should be included on ALL Cadillac's. I understand things like MRC, HUD,H.I.D etc should all be reserved for higher levels, but the LED light blade is what gives the car its distinctive look. I was watching a snippit on the ELR and the Cadillac designer said

"The Cadillac's distinctive Light blade is a feature we want on all cadillacs, as a way to really set ourselves apart from others"

This is really the only thing I was pissed off with when I got my car, I shouldn't have to shell out to much higher levels just for something thats supposed to be the eye catcher that sets this car off. The base ELR gets it, the base CTS gets it.. hell I dont even HAVE a base ATS and I dont get it? I mean sure mmaaayyybbbeee if you get a bare bones 2.5, but at LEAST put it on the 2.0, its so damned cheap on there end. Its supposed to be Caddys new looks, two vertical light blades on the front of ALL cars, they want it to be there brand image and they should get with it.

***oh and base XTS doesn't come with the lower light blades either which again I find incredibly petty.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

It should definitely be available on all trims. As long as its an option, customers should be happy. If Cadillac wants to make it standard for THEIR benefit, I wouldn't complain but they have done the analysis and think it's not in their best interest. As pointed out, some insiders want it to be a universal signature but more would apparently rather have the money generated by people moving up in collections to get it.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Brand identification is important and Wookie and Stevo make a valid argument the vertical LED are signature so put it out there GM its a real asset so flaunt the LED on all trims and option the bulbs/adaptive stuff.

I have never liked the Cadillac too big, crest, coat of arms emblem, It's smoking jacket ascot stuffy and if I could I would remove it from everywhere on the car. I like the Cadillac brand and its history to include the "lesson years" but now that the brand is finally morphing back to mainstream desirable they need to update to something that does not scream old and dated without losing their lineage.

But as some younger owners have mentioned this is not their Dad's Cadillac because their dad owned a BMW, so maybe this is new to them and they don't have the same reaction to the emblem that I do

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee
    Please powers that be at Cadillac make the front verticle LED light pipe standard across your entire line in 2015.....

There was a movie in the '80's titled 'Making the Grade' where a kid is giving lessons on how to dress acceptably, in the scene he takes three polo shirts and lays them down one at a time. First he puts down the Ralph Lauren and says "Preppy come lately", then a polo whose logo is a gator riding a horse and says "Preppy come never", and finally he puts down a LaCoste and says "Preppy forever".

Audi, having ascended to it's current heights, on the back of Quattro, and overcoming a PR and sales disaster brought on by '60 minutes' faked unintended acceleration story.
    "Preppy come lately"

Lexus, steadily marching to it's heights from a humble Mercedes knock off in 1986 when Toyota figured out no one here would spend over $30,000 on a Japanese car, solution, fool us Americans with a trumped up luxury brand.
    "Preppy come lately"

BMW, having ascended to it's current heights in the '80's on the back of the excellent 3 series and putting performance parts in practical cars making them fun.
    Arguably "Preppy come lately"

Hyundai, having not learned the Lexus lesson, and testing the star quality of their brand with the Genesis then doubling down on this strategy with the Equus, and still hasn't figured out that Luxury cars are optional, not necessary for daily transportation needs, and that as options for well heeled buyers those buyers value brand and image over a great value and that sometimes luxury is being able to afford the more expensive choice.
    "Preppy come never"

Mercedes Benz, having invented the car, was a high end brand and stayed a high end brand for over a century, and have a track record of bringing technological and safety innovations to us that we didn't even know we wanted, much like Apple has for consumer electronics.
    "Preppy forever"

Cadillac, has a history much like Mercedes Benz, yet they relinquished their leadership role and squandered their brand equity in the '70's, '80's, and '90's.
    they should be "Preppy forever", but 30 years of brand damage, and a great turnaround in the 2000's leaves them a "Preppy come lately".

I say all this because I think Cadillac needs to give a little more to it's customers. Love it or hate it Lexus' new grill is distinctive, as is BMW's quad round headlights and kidney grill, Audi's rings are world renowned and historic, Lastly and most notably, Mercedes' 3 point star is probably in the top five of most recognized icons.

Cadillac is getting there, but needs a push, the previously mentioned German marques are without fail or exception distinctive, and instantly recognizable, at a glance you instantly know what's rolling your way. I believe Cadillac is poised to join their ranks, yet too often I'm asked what is it that I'm driving, distinctive, though 'Art & Science' may be, it seems the wreath and crest has lost its mindshare.

I believe lighting can be a small push in the right direction, there is absolutely no mistaking BMW's quad round headlamps, and they just heightened and enhanced them by making them visible in daylight with the halos an effort so successful it sparked an industry of copycat halo applications for virtually every car made. Audi has had similar success with the LED DRL, there's even a commercial featuring a disgruntled tow truck operator talking about never having hooked one and when he says "those eyes" you immediately know what he means, also these too have spawned an industry for lighting upgrades and have set styling trends among nearly every brand. Cadillac has this too, but in my estimation, by only applying the LEDs to half their cars, they're doing a disservice to the cars, the brand and us customers, fans and enthusiasts.

My wish is for Cadillac to embrace the vertical LED, brand it, market it, make it as integral a part of the brand as the fangs are to a roaring tiger, but you won't get there, if your newest car, the car that's powering tremendous sales growth for you only has them on a portion of those produced. I'm not asking for all the equipment of the top model for the price of the bottom, I'm asking for a beautiful character feature be divorced from the options list and added to the styling and brand list. By doing so, I believe you'll make the pull of a brand people aspire to so much greater.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Wookie
    Great points made.

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    Add LED front indicators.

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    I see your point! Just a short comment: You mentioned Audis and their LED DRL. Audi A4 and ATS are in the same class. If you want to buy an A4 and get LED DRL, you need to pay more and buy premium plus or prestige trims. The base trim, which is called premium, comes with Halogen lights:

http://www.audiusa.com/models/audi-a4

I am not saying that the Cadillac needs to follow the same marketing strategies that Audi does. I just wanted to keep the comparison fair.

I see that some complain about specific options that they think must be standard. Example: cold weather package. We had many threads about such things. I personally prefer to have options to choose from, and don't want to be forced to pay for something that I don't need or like! I live in Hawaii and I don't like to be charged for something like heated seats, etc! But this specific case, LEDs, makes more sense than others, if you are arguing it is somehow connected with the image of the Cadillac.
    totally agree, wasn't saying Cadillac needs to be apples to apples with competitors, but sear our eyeballs with something positive that is unmistakably Cadillac
    ben.gators likes this.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I guess I would agree had I not opted for the premium ATS. The only problem with making it available on the other trims is you water down the significance of owning the premium model. Those who bought the premium trim paid thousands of dollars more and having the fancy lights make them feel like they received their money's worth. All those other things that come with the premium option are not noticeable like the led lights and even the upgraded wheels. When I see a ATS with the LED lights they get my attention right away and I know they are either a performance or premium ATS. They make the car stand out for sure and as far as I'm concerned that's the way it should be. Like any eye candy you have to be willing to pay for it and when it comes to the ATS that means you need to buy either the performance or premium trim.
    rustybear3 likes this.

hood101010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance

Nearly everything has LED DRLs these days, including many sub $20k sub-compacts. To me it is a classic example of american car manufactures just making bad choices. I think balance sheets and profit margins trump good design choices. Not only do the lack of LEDs take away from the character but the huge fake mesh grill inserts really cheapen the look. The LED runners paired with aggressive grilles and lower fascias with clear aero functions are whats hot. The ATS fails in all 3 of these. Hey I still bought the car and did get the LEDs but I take a long look at the new IS and A4 everytime I see one. The new MB E350 front end and lights are incredible by the way! The new CTS looks pretty good but I need to see one in the wild.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    I have never liked the Cadillac too big, crest, coat of arms emblem, It's smoking jacket ascot stuffy and if I could I would remove it from everywhere on the car.
    The emblem in the back would probably be easy to remove. The lettering is held on with just double side tape. The emblem probably also. The one in front (on non-driver assist) is removable but then you would have to replace it with something else. A mock machine gun barrel with boot like on a WW2 tank would be nice.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Led lights should only be on the back of the car. Since they look like ass.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Let's see... I paid near $50,000 for my Premium ATS and others who paid between $31,000 and $41,000 want their vehicles to stand out the same as mine. It's called incentive to move up model wise.....we are talking almost $20,000 difference between the Base & Premium; a pretty substantial sum....and yes, for that kind of money, I want the models to stand out! If I remember correctly, the ATS was meant to be the entry level model...not on the same level as say a CTS, which by the way increased it's base model by $7,000. To get the LEDS on a base CTS versus a base or Luxury ATS is about a $7,000 to $16,000 difference. The step up from an average Luxury ATS ($40,290) to a Performance which has LEDS (42,790) is not that much IMO. The bottom line: the ATS is supposedly Cadillac's entry market vehicle, more concerned with attracting those buyers who were previously locked out of the Cadillac market economically. I have no problem having extra niceties such as lighted LEDS, HIDS, and lighted handles reserved for Performance and Premium models as incentives. As JSAT pointed out, it's part of the buyer's feeling they are getting their money's worth in additional eye candy for spending thousands more for a Premium or Performance model. When you see a Cadillac ATS coming at you with those LEDS, you know it's one of 2 top of the line models; making it extra special!
    JSATS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    I guess I would agree had I not opted for the premium ATS. The only problem with making it available on the other trims is you water down the significance of owning the premium model. Those who bought the premium trim paid thousands of dollars more and having the fancy lights make them feel like they received their money's worth. All those other things that come with the premium option are not noticeable like the led lights and even the upgraded wheels. When I see a ATS with the LED lights they get my attention right away and I know they are either a performance or premium ATS. They make the car stand out for sure and as far as I'm concerned that's the way it should be. Like any eye candy you have to be willing to pay for it and when it comes to the ATS that means you need to buy either the performance or premium trim.
    like you've noted, they do make the car stand out, but i disagree with your assertion that it dilutes the value to premium/performance buyers. To your informed eye, you can spot the difference and see the value in that, to the general public some Cadillacs look 'Meh' some Cadillacs look 'Wow' should the person that saw the 'Meh' car be turned off to the brand because of it that dilutes the significance for all of us, and premium/performance buyers have the privilege of paying more for the loss of brand cachet.

Quote Originally Posted by hood101010 View Post
    Nearly everything has LED DRLs these days, including many sub $20k sub-compacts. To me it is a classic example of american car manufactures just making bad choices. I think balance sheets and profit margins trump good design choices. Not only do the lack of LEDs take away from the character but the huge fake mesh grill inserts really cheapen the look. The LED runners paired with aggressive grilles and lower fascias with clear aero functions are whats hot. The ATS fails in all 3 of these. Hey I still bought the car and did get the LEDs but I take a long look at the new IS and A4 everytime I see one. The new MB E350 front end and lights are incredible by the way! The new CTS looks pretty good but I need to see one in the wild.
    Agreed, there's a hint of logic in JSATS post above that alludes to if you buy a KIA Forte for half as much as our cars but has the same 'fancy lights' they somehow made a better purchase than lower trim Cadillac buyers that they 'received their money's worth'. I don't believe he thinks that, because its obvious anything Cadillac > anything KIA in terms of brand. A case in point would be Rolex, they don't leave their brand identity or distinguishing touches off a $5000 Explorer just because you didn't buy a $27,000 Cosmograph Daytona, what you do get from Rolex for paying more is a nice set of upgrades and features (Complications) otherwise you get the same build quality, same identifying features, or in other words the same brand. if they used Cadillacs logic Rolex, would leave their logo off the crown and only have it on the watch face for the less expensive model, instead they employ Tudor, a less expensive brand to leave these things off of, and for similar reasons GM has Buick.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Let's see... I paid near $50,000 for my Premium ATS and others who paid between $31,000 and $41,000 want their vehicles to stand out the same as mine. It's called incentive to move up model wise.....we are talking almost $20,000 difference between the Base & Premium; a pretty substantial sum....and yes, for that kind of money, I want the models to stand out! If I remember correctly, the ATS was meant to be the entry level model...not on the same level as say a CTS, which by the way increased it's base model by $7,000. To get the LEDS on a base CTS versus a base or Luxury ATS is about a $7,000 to $16,000 difference. The step up from an average Luxury ATS ($40,290) to a Performance which has LEDS (42,790) is not that much IMO. The bottom line: the ATS is supposedly Cadillac's entry market vehicle, more concerned with attracting those buyers who were previously locked out of the Cadillac market economically. I have no problem having extra niceties such as lighted LEDS, HIDS, and lighted handles reserved for Performance and Premium models as incentives. As JSAT pointed out, it's part of the buyer's feeling they are getting their money's worth in additional eye candy for spending thousands more for a Premium or Performance model. When you see a Cadillac ATS coming at you with those LEDS, you know it's one of 2 top of the line models; making it extra special!
    I'm not saying you don't deserve more for paying more, you absolutely do, it must be that way, what i'm saying this one feature, not heated seats, or mag ride or HID, or 19" wheels or even leather need to be free for the masses, heck no. I just think like BMW's Halos the LED strip stands apart from those and is a distinguishing mark for Cadillac as a whole not just models and trim packages. another example of this, except for the all black apple tv virtually every apple product ships with white accessories, its part of their brand and the experience of unboxing their products from the headphones of their lowliest MP3 player to their most expensive Laptop, this is consistent, and Cadillac has an opportunity to achieve the same AND have much better equipped expensive cars, and lower equipped less expensive cars.
    MoistCabbage likes this.

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

I don't know what Audi is doing now with their trims but my first Audi was a premium model and you couldn't get the LED lights with it. The next Audi I bought was the premium plus and it came with the LED lights and fancier rims. When I bought my ATS I just assumed that if you wanted the extra eye candy then just like
    audi you had to go with the upper trim levels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.