Are you happy with the Navi system
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Are you happy with the Navi system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I am getting ready to pull the trigger and wonder if the Navigation system is worth buying. Myron...
    myronf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 turbo black/black

Are you happy with the Navi system

I am getting ready to pull the trigger and wonder if the Navigation system is worth buying.

Myron

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Re: Are you happy with the Navi system

To me it's always worth having the system integrated with the vehicle.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    To me it's always worth having the system integrated with the vehicle.
    better resale, cooler car, more tricks it can do, can get unlost, after losing your phone, nice discovery tool for places, no uglified car with window mounted phone/gps, better looking interior over base radio...... whats not to love, and its always worth it to me too
    rustybear3 and JSATS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    no uglified car with window mounted phone/gps
    Yes, this ^^ especially.

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    CUE is $1350, so not a huge option cost to add. I don't have it though. I would have gotten it if it was installed in the only manual shift available within 500 miles of me. I couldn't be picky since my #1 and #2 wants were 2.0t and MT. I have been connecting my iPhone5 to the USB port in the console for my iTunes. Cool thing is I can use Google Maps navigation on my phone, and the voice commands come through the car speakers... Music volume attenuates, then voice directions speak, then music volume resumes. Works out seamlessly. Does not work out though if listening to the radio.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Ok, I'll be the contrarian for a moment. How often do you use it? Do you easily get lost? Do you travel to new cities often? Do you go out to eat and/or drink a lot? If the answer is yes, then get it. For me, the $2000+ price was hard to justify when I have Nav on my phone as I rarely use or need it. I understand that there's more there than just the Nav there but just offering my opinion. Certainly if you think you're going to use the Nav a lot, then I agree with others that an integrated system is the only way to go.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

I have CUE and nav on my ATS performance. I have used it twice, and it was cool. But it is not exceptionally amazing or jaw dropping compared to my Google app on my iPhone, but it is convenient! One of the main problems that I have found is that, it seems that you can not search for a location by name. You need to enter the address. For example, if you are looking for pizza hut around yourself, unlike iPhone navigation and map system, you cannot simply type "pizza hut" and search for it. (or can we?!)

The good thing about CUE's nav system is that it is more polite than my iphone! For example, my iphone says "turn right" with an assertive attitude, whereas CUE's nav system says "please turn right"....

The bottom line is, nav system isn't a deal breaker or deal sealer for me!

Felton10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 luxury

Assuming you are going to continue to pay for Onstar after the free year is up-a multiple year commitment & payment will get you turn-by-turn also for the less than a monthly chg or a yearly payment for onstar alone. With the CTS I traded in- I got 3 year Onstar + turn-by-turn for 3 yrs for 599 which was the same same as the yearly 199 cost for Onstar alone.

Car companies usally charge for map updates-so you are far ahead skipping the Nav system and going with turn-by-turn via Onstar if that is important to you.[COLOR="Silver"]

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

^
    If I am not mistaken, On Star gives just verbal commands, no visual maps or direction, right? In that case, it is not very different from pairing an smart phone with car and using the car's audio system for turn-by-turn commands, right? And it is all free!

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    ^
    If I am not mistaken, On Star gives just verbal commands, no visual maps or direction, right? In that case, it is not very different from pairing an smart phone with car and using the car's audio system for turn-by-turn commands, right? And it is all free!
    Right on. And if you want to look at a map, just look at the phone screen that is sitting in the cup holder.

But to tell you the truth, if I had the choice at the time, I would have paid the extra $1350 for the option.

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee 01 View Post
    But to tell you the truth, if I had the choice at the time, I would have paid the extra $1350 for the option.
    In my opinion, this is sort of what it boils down to: if you aren't paying cash for the car and investing the extra $1K price of the option (depending on the trim level you have selected) to make a 500% ROI because you are an investing savant, you can probably live with the extra $20/month it takes to not sit there and wonder, for the next four years, if the in-house option would have been better.

'My opinion' is almost wholly based on all the times in the past I 'cheaped-out' and subsequently regretted it... which is, sadly, many times. But I have never sat in my upgraded car and said "wow, I wish I had that $10 this month..."

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

ok here are my thoughts:

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee 01 View Post
    CUE is $1350, so not a huge option cost to add. I don't have it though. I would have gotten it if it was installed in the only manual shift available within 500 miles of me. I couldn't be picky since my #1 and #2 wants were 2.0t and MT. I have been connecting my iPhone5 to the USB port in the console for my iTunes. Cool thing is I can use Google Maps navigation on my phone, and the voice commands come through the car speakers... Music volume attenuates, then voice directions speak, then music volume resumes. Works out seamlessly. Does not work out though if listening to the radio.
    you're right not much of a bump, and I'm sorry there wasn't more choice for you and I commend your doing what you can to overcome, so I'd like to make a cool suggestion..... proclips makes an awesome console mount and can accommodate any phone.. better safety, and very nice looking ...... navigon is a nice Nav program and not expensive if you buy by region, I'm aware google is free and excellent but the killer thing here is navigon has 3d textured maps a dashboard feature so gives cool additional info like speed limit on road your on, and my favorite feature is it alerts to traffic and speed cams and offers alternate routes based on live traffic conditions pretty cool, now here's the over the top cool part....navigon is garmin, garmin just came out with a universal HUD anyone can add and navigon can beam it's info to it.....sick!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    Ok, I'll be the contrarian for a moment. How often do you use it? Do you easily get lost? Do you travel to new cities often? Do you go out to eat and/or drink a lot? If the answer is yes, then get it. For me, the $2000+ price was hard to justify when I have Nav on my phone as I rarely use or need it. I understand that there's more there than just the Nav there but just offering my opinion. Certainly if you think you're going to use the Nav a lot, then I agree with others that an integrated system is the only way to go.
    Nav is$1350 to $1450 depending on trim, in addition to maps you also get the 10 speaker surround sound, even if I would never use the Nav I use that every second I'm in the car totally worth it, also worth it because when appraising your car when you trade in you get added vehicle value for the high grade audio and you get added value for the Nav worth it even more, and there may be a time where you don't get a signal having maps pre- loaded for the entire US and Canada can be a lifesaver even if its just that one time (boyscout in me 'be prepared)

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    I have CUE and nav on my ATS performance. I have used it twice, and it was cool. But it is not exceptionally amazing or jaw dropping compared to my Google app on my iPhone, but it is convenient! One of the main problems that I have found is that, it seems that you can not search for a location by name. You need to enter the address. For example, if you are looking for pizza hut around yourself, unlike iPhone navigation and map system, you cannot simply type "pizza hut" and search for it. (or can we?!)

The good thing about CUE's nav system is that it is more polite than my iphone! For example, my iphone says "turn right" with an assertive attitude, whereas CUE's nav system says "please turn right"....

The bottom line is, nav system isn't a deal breaker or deal sealer for me!
    yes you can ...... hit voice button and say point of interest and you can ask for all kinds of things like "pizza nearby" and it will list them in order of distance, or you can say "pizza in (insert town here) to search another location.

Quote Originally Posted by Felton10 View Post
    Assuming you are going to continue to pay for Onstar after the free year is up-a multiple year commitment & payment will get you turn-by-turn also for the less than a monthly chg or a yearly payment for onstar alone. With the CTS I traded in- I got 3 year Onstar + turn-by-turn for 3 yrs for 599 which was the same same as the yearly 199 cost for Onstar alone.

Car companies usally charge for map updates-so you are far ahead skipping the Nav system and going with turn-by-turn via Onstar if that is important to you.[COLOR="Silver"]
    some of your value proposition is eroded by the value add at trade in also let's say for arguments sake that half of the $1450 is navigation and the other half is the bose, so for $725 we're a lot closer to your $599 and the trade in value will easily add more than that so now Nav is cheaper than onstar, plus onstar Nav doesn't reroute you if you miss a turn, instead it tells you missed the turn and if you need rerouting it has to make another call and get new directions, lastly onstar doesn't account for traffic conditions so it can drive you right into rush hour or an accident caused traffic jam, both things Nav helps you with automatically

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    ^
    yes phone is free, but onstar and nav do more than that they both give you arrows and street names in both the DIC and on radio screen and you get distance to turn indication and a turn now chime/beep also in most places now its illegal to play with your phone while driving, so unless you pull over to ask your phone for directions you risk a ticket using it

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    In my opinion, this is sort of what it boils down to: if you aren't paying cash for the car and investing the extra $1K price of the option (depending on the trim level you have selected) to make a 500% ROI because you are an investing savant, you can probably live with the extra $20/month it takes to not sit there and wonder, for the next four years, if the in-house option would have been better.

'My opinion' is almost wholly based on all the times in the past I 'cheaped-out' and subsequently regretted it... which is, sadly, many times. But I have never sat in my upgraded car and said "wow, I wish I had that $10 this month..."
    boooyah!!!!!!!!! right on the money brother(or sister)

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

My wife and I love the Nav. While we don't do a lot of traveling we have found it very valuable the few times we have traveled. My wife uses it in her job and she finds it is a must at times. I think it's way better than any hand held GPS and the voice command is great. I feel that Nav is something that people would expect to find in a car like a Cadillac and that's another reason for having it.

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

I would get it; I've had the nav system staring with my '05 STS; each additional car ('08 & '10 CTS and now my ATS) has many improvements in the system.

Felton10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 luxury

No-not just verbal commands-they send a very simple directional (arrows) to CUE which you can acutally put it on your instrument panel as an option. Not anywhere as detailed as a map-but after you get used to it-it works just fine.

Most helpful when I get lost at night and just call Onstar and tell them to get me home-and they send directions to the vehicle. If you haven't tried it you should-you might just like it and get adicted to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.