Are you happy with the Navi system - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Are you happy with the Navi system in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee Nav is$1350 to $1450 depending on trim, in addition to maps you also get the 10 ...
    Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Are you happy with the Navi system

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    Nav is$1350 to $1450 depending on trim, in addition to maps you also get the 10 speaker surround sound, even if I would never use the Nav I use that every second I'm in the car totally worth it

let's say for arguments sake that half of the $1450 is navigation and the other half is the bose, so for $725 we're a lot closer to your $599 and the trade in value will easily add more than that so now Nav is cheaper than onstar
    The only time Nav is required to get Bose is in the Luxury collection. Bose is standard with CUE in every other collection, and CUE is standard in all but the base. Why Cadillac chose to not include Bose with CUE ONLY in the Luxury, is one of life's greatest mysteries.

mikesul is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I have used Onstar D&C also to find particular restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc. Just push the button and tell them what you want. No fiddling with a smart phone. The directions are concise and, if you have to deviate for something, are self correcting. After trying it in my last two CTS's that had Nav, I decided against Nav in my ATS. Riding along an interstate I get an urge for a Chik Filet sanwich, just push the button and directions are given to the closest on your route.
    After I ran the Blue Ridge Parkway I pushed the button and asked for the shortest route to Atlanta. No problem, and the routing was great. I will never keep a car long enough to pay for the nav vs. Onstar.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Aside from whether on not you should get a nav system, I'll just say that the one on the ATS works great, provided you key in the address. For the voice function to work so well with music, the nav system can't find addresses very well by voice. It's rediculous actually. However, once you do get the address entered it does fine. I like how it zooms and changes perspective as you near your turn.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

built in Nav is nice because it can work in urban canyons where tall buildings can block GPS signals, you know this is happening when your phone or handheld gps tells you to turn after you passed the street when it catches the signal between buildings. it can do this not because its gps is superior (it gets blocked too) but it has an ace up its sleeve and that's the car itself, which has its own compass, and odometer and can pass this data to the Nav so that the Nav can fall back onto a 'dead reckoning' mode.

another nice feature is the Nav will pre-emptively route you around traffic jams, accidents, construction and weather events.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    another nice feature is the Nav will pre-emptively route you around traffic jams, accidents, construction and weather events.
    Hey PO'd, are you saying that Nav will do this even if I don't have OnStar or Siris?

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Hey PO'd, are you saying that Nav will do this even if I don't have OnStar or Siris?
    Onstar not required, and incidentally onstar nav does not do this, you have to call and have the live person check traffic and send you an alternate route

XM is required, this is how CUE gets its traffic and weather

I don't know if this applies to CUE I think it does but have no way of testing this, but in the past older systems onstar could spot update map data. I know this because a friend of mine sold an escalade to Charger quarterback (Rivers) and his address wasn't in the systems database, so onstar was called to download directions to the car and it remembered it after that he then programmed it as home and sent him on his way

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

The Nav is fantastic. It has some very nice features like not only telling you need to exit but which side the exit is on (or entrance etc.) In CA this is a nice thing as entrance ramps and exits can be on the left or right side of the road with no logic used in deciding which. I also was using Nav on my way home and there was a merge and the Nav not only told me about the merge but in a little box it showed me that the left lane went left. The 2 next lanes went straight (those I needed to take) and the right 3 lanes went right. Very nice if you ask me. Hell my TomTom does not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    The Nav is fantastic. It has some very nice features like not only telling you need to exit but which side the exit is on (or entrance etc.) In CA this is a nice thing as entrance ramps and exits can be on the left or right side of the road with no logic used in deciding which. I also was using Nav on my way home and there was a merge and the Nav not only told me about the merge but in a little box it showed me that the left lane went left. The 2 next lanes went straight (those I needed to take) and the right 3 lanes went right. Very nice if you ask me. Hell my TomTom does not do that.
    there's a lot that a handheld can't do i mention some earlier another is muting the car audio unless its offering its voice prompts through the cars audio via bluetooth.

the extra info you mention is really nice, including the turn now chime/beep, one thing ive noticed is different systems (VZ nav, navigon/garmin, google, bing, GM/onstar) give different ways to the same place, the most interesting i think is google, it tries to direct you in a way that ends in a right turn whenever possible. I have at times seen my destination only to have it guide me around the block, to end in a right turn, i know UPS does this to save time and fuel.

Audioi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 AWD 2.0 Premium

The nav is great and she seems to understand my voice whenever I ask so I would say Yes get the Nav, its great!

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

The Nav is actually $795. That's the cost to add it to a Performance, which already has CUE and the upgraded audio system. IMO, it's worth it for the convenience, big 8 inch screen, and added resale. Plus it's totally integrated, and OnStar can download straight to the unit, including trips you plan on either GoogleMaps and MapQuest. Rerouting for traffic via XM is especially helpful, though it can take five minutes for the information to load. Biggest negative is the contact list, which is total rubbish. The one in the CTS did this much better.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

I think my voice command problem with the nav has a lot to do with all the new small cities popping up all over the Atlanta region. The nav knows the city, but for me it's a guess. Sounds silly, but every neighborhood around here in incorporating and I can't keep up.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Just noticed another nice feature with the Nav. If you are listening to Pandora and have the Nav screen up going to a location. If you hover over the screen the additional buttons will appear and to the right there is Play and Skip for Pandora. So you don't have to switch back to Pandora to skip a song you don't like or to pause the playing. Not sure if the feature is there for all media as I usually just listen to Pandora, but very cool they thought of that.

RocketDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat

We haven't used the Nav much so far, other than to play with it for familiarization, but so far we're happy with it. Intend to use it for real on a trip tomorrow so I'll be able to tell you better when we get back on Thursday.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.