Winter tire considerations
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Winter tire considerations in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey Everyone, I have a few questions regarding winter tires. I have a 2.0T Premium RWD Manual with the staggered ...
    adiaz2331 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium RWD 6-Speed

Winter tire considerations

Hey Everyone,

I have a few questions regarding winter tires. I have a 2.0T Premium RWD Manual with the staggered setup. Here goes:

- If I purchase a set of 17's or even 18's, should I purchase them staggered as well? Will purchasing the same size all the way around compromise the dynamics of the car? (Mind you during the winter I won't be going nuts, just basic travel, but I am in the North East, Rochester NY to be precise)
    - In anyone's opinion, would it seem feasible to just run with a good all-season tire instead of purchasing winters?
    - Does anyone have any opinions on a good tire?

I'm sure there are more questions, but this is what came off the top of my head. Thanks in advance for any advice.

EDIT: The first question is assuming I'm buying wheels as well of course.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Re: Winter tire considerations

I would get them all the same so you could rotate them every year. I have an AWD Premium with 18 inch tires all around. I bought Winter tires and rims from Discount Tire Direct. They have great deals around Thanksgiving. I also bought 17 inch instead of 18 because they were cheaper and thats the size they suggested for better Winter driving traction. Also being able to take off your stock tires and rims and put them away for the Winter is a big plus. I would definately get Winter tires because your car is RWD, if you had a AWD car then maybe you could get away with all seasons. I live about an hour south of Buffalo in the Chautauqua snow belt and AWD and snow tires are a must. I got a great deal on Hankook Winter tires and they were awesome last Winter for me. They are rated one of the best Winter tires on the market at a fraction of the price of other tires. I would also buy regular tires instead of run flats and don't bother with the tire monitor sensors. Just carry a couple cans of fix a flat in your trunk during the Winter.
    Jones atsnh likes this.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Go with a square set of 17s. Doesn't Rochester get a ton of lake effect snow? My wife used to run studded snows on her GLI when she went to UB. It's a must.

Buffalo and Syracuse get a ton of lake effect, Rochester is actually safe most of the time. We get a good amount of snow, but nothing crazy.

JSATS - What size 17's did you wind up going with? I saw some Hankook's on Discount Tire Direct (I've ordered from there for the last 3 cars) lol, and the prices weren't bad of course for a package with wheels. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adiaz2331 View Post
    Buffalo and Syracuse get a ton of lake effect, Rochester is actually safe most of the time. We get a good amount of snow, but nothing crazy.

JSATS - What size 17's did you wind up going with? I saw some Hankook's on Discount Tire Direct (I've ordered from there for the last 3 cars) lol, and the prices weren't bad of course for a package with wheels. Thanks.
    I ended up getting four Hankook I cept EVO W310 225/45R17XL Winter tires and four Liquid Metal rims for 1155.00 dollars. They had a special at the time and I got two 100 dollar Visa gift cards with them. My final cost for the four tires and rims was 955 dollars all mounted, balanced and delivered to my door. it also included lug nuts and required spacers. I was very pleased with the tires. They were very quiet and provided great traction in all Winter driving conditions. You would never you were driving a car with snows on it. After I took them off for the season they still looked new.
    adiaz2331 likes this.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Looks like I can get that set for around 1067, without the tpms modules, with the free mounting and balance, so I can just throw them on. The spacers came with the installation kit I'm assuming? Now I just have to decide which finish I want, the black powder coat or silver. They have a ton of wheels in the interactive car setup, but don't have the ones I'm looking at of course! lol

Quote Originally Posted by adiaz2331 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Looks like I can get that set for around 1067, without the tpms modules, with the free mounting and balance, so I can just throw them on. The spacers came with the installation kit I'm assuming? Now I just have to decide which finish I want, the black powder coat or silver. They have a ton of wheels in the interactive car setup, but don't have the ones I'm looking at of course! lol
    I would wait till the fall before buying. They have great deals around black Friday. I dealt with a guy named Dave and he was great. He turned me on to a deal they were having on EBay and walked me through the buy so I got all the right stuff. That's how I got the 200 dollars worth of gift cards.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    You could check with your local Cadillac dealers to see if they have any "take off" oem rims. That's how I got a great deal on a winter set for my 05 CTS several years ago.

RocketDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat

What's this "snow tire" you're speaking of? We get about 5 inches a year in north Alabama and just stay inside until it melts ... or slip and slide around.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS
    I would get them all the same so you could rotate them every year. I have an AWD Premium with 18 inch tires all around. I bought Winter tires and rims from Discount Tire Direct. They have great deals around Thanksgiving. I also bought 17 inch instead of 18 because they were cheaper and thats the size they suggested for better Winter driving traction. Also being able to take off your stock tires and rims and put them away for the Winter is a big plus. I would definately get Winter tires because your car is RWD, if you had a AWD car then maybe you could get away with all seasons. I live about an hour south of Buffalo in the Chautauqua snow belt and AWD and snow tires are a must. I got a great deal on Hankook Winter tires and they were awesome last Winter for me. They are rated one of the best Winter tires on the market at a fraction of the price of other tires. I would also buy regular tires instead of run flats and don't bother with the tire monitor sensors. Just carry a couple cans of fix a flat in your trunk during the Winter.
    I'm just north of you in the buffalo south towns and my last several cars I just bought tires and rims from tire rack....I got an awd ats but I haven't yet decided if I'm going winter tires for it or not. I'm leasing for the first time ever so I'm not sure about spending at least a grand for the 3 winters I'll have the car. Since its awd, I thought maybe I'd wait and see how it is in the snow before I spend the money. I'm afraid I'll just end up spending the money.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrayon View Post
    I'm just north of you in the buffalo south towns and my last several cars I just bought tires and rims from tire rack....I got an awd ats but I haven't yet decided if I'm going winter tires for it or not. I'm leasing for the first time ever so I'm not sure about spending at least a grand for the 3 winters I'll have the car. Since its awd, I thought maybe I'd wait and see how it is in the snow before I spend the money. I'm afraid I'll just end up spending the money.
    I can see your point about leasing and then having the extra tires and rims after your lease is up. What you need to consider is will you have to buy a new set of tires anyway before your lease is up? Remember here in WNY you will have your snows on your car for 4-5 months. All those miles you will save may take you right through your lease with the original tires. My last car was an Audi that I kept for 50 thousand miles and three Winters. I paid 900 dollars for Winter tires and rims and then sold them for 450 when I traded in the car. Those tires only cost me 450 bucks for three Winters use and I was able to save all those miles from my regular tires and rims. I think where we live the Winter tires are a great investment.
    Hoosier Daddy and GJB like this.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I can see your point about leasing and then having the extra tires and rims after your lease is up. What you need to consider is will you have to buy a new set of tires anyway before your lease is up? Remember here in WNY you will have your snows on your car for 4-5 months. All those miles you will save may take you right through your lease with the original tires. My last car was an Audi that I kept for 50 thousand miles and three Winters. I paid 900 dollars for Winter tires and rims and then sold them for 450 when I traded in the car. Those tires only cost me 450 bucks for three Winters use and I was able to save all those miles from my regular tires and rims. I think where we live the Winter tires are a great investment.
    I agree here. On a lease, you should expect to purchase a replacement set of tires midterm. Might as well go for the winter package. The main cost will be the charges to mount the sets between seasons.
    GJB likes this.

Yeah I'm definitely going to go the route of purchasing the whole set with wheels and tires, probably the same ones mentioned near the beginning of the post. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, very helpful.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Good point! Thanks for the thoughts. Never really thought about the fact that I'd probably be be buying a set of tires before the lease is up anyways....I guess the cost of winter tires and/or wheels will eat up at least half the difference.

thedead is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 Premium RWD

Sorry to grave dig here... But with a RWD Premium (staggered), if going the same size all around do you need spacers? What size/type?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.