Locking the rear seatbacks?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Locking the rear seatbacks? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; In my BMW, when I go out to dinner at a restaurant that has valet parking, I put my briefcase ...

Locking the rear seatbacks?

In my BMW, when I go out to dinner at a restaurant that has valet parking, I put my briefcase or other valuables in the trunk, flip the trunk lock switch in the glovebox, lock the glovebox and give the valet the fob only. You can't fold down the seats from the cabin side of the seats, only from the trunk side; so the trunk is secure. In my previous Audi, the seatbacks actually had key locks on them so you could accomplish the same.

Does the ATS offer a way to do this? (my car's on order).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Locking the rear seatbacks?

I know exactly what you're talking about, if you remember (or had an old enough car) Audi even went a step further and gave you a valet key that would only start the igition and wouldn't unlock any of the 'lockable' items inside the car.

On the ATS, they don't lock.

Sorry.

The glove box locks, but folding seats, no.

On the topic of valet,

The car does have a valet run feature with a 4 digit pin you can enter through CUE. I presume it's a reduced speed or power tune.

All the Valet Mode does is disable most of the Cue functions and lock the little 'garage door' storage bin behind it. Still a nice feature but I can't exactly fit my briefcase (or golfclubs or whatever) in there!

All the Valet Mode does is disable most of the Cue functions and lock the little 'garage door' storage bin behind it. Still a nice feature but I can't exactly fit my briefcase (or golfclubs or whatever) in there!
    well that kind of sucks..

Locking Seat backs isn't really the issue here though.

There's no 'restricted use' key in the car anyway.

Sure you can take the emergency key out and lock the storage bin, but when you had the fob over he can still pop the truck, or even just hit the trunk release button. The systems in the Audi and BMW work because once locked you have a separate 'ignition only' key to use that doesn't do anything except start the car.

You could buy a dash-cam and place it on the rear-view glass. Although we're presuming here that said valet is going to rifle through the whole car looking for something to steal. Most random people are put-off by there simply not being anything in sight. Me personally, I might just suck it up and place a smidgen of faith in humanity, I say that in the least trying to slap you in the face kind of way because I'm sure you have more experience in this kind of situation than I do.

No, in the Beemer there's a switch inside the key-lockeable glovebox that prevents the trunk from being opened by the fob or the trunk pop button. You flip that switch, lock the glovebox and then hand the valet the fob without the key.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

My rear seats came locked from the factory...

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by PasATS View Post
    No, in the Beemer there's a switch inside the key-lockeable glovebox that prevents the trunk from being opened by the fob or the trunk pop button. You flip that switch, lock the glovebox and then hand the valet the fob without the key.
    My Cadillac Seville STS was equipped with this system too!

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    ATS is a drivers car, not the ultimate luxury car that has every feature, convenience, and comfort known to the auto world. All this stuff adds unnecessary weights to a drivers car. For all that stuffff, prospective Cadillac buyers should look more at CTS and XTS. For a focus on driving enjoyment, ATS is your car.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by General Lee 01
    ATS is a drivers car, not the ultimate luxury car that has every feature, convenience, and comfort known to the auto world.
    ...My 22 year old Accord has a locking seatback, glove box, fuel door/trunk release lockout, and a valet key.

The extra locking systems weigh well under 2 pounds. I think Cadillac could have "splurged" for the sake of protecting the owners property.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    ...My 22 year old Accord has a locking seatback, glove box, fuel door/trunk release lockout, and a valet key.

The extra locking systems weigh well under 2 pounds. I think Cadillac could have "splurged" for the sake of protecting the owners property.
    Yeah, real drivers car there. Accord. LOL. Protect your own property. Leave it at home or park your car yourself if you don't trust the kids that are parking the cars. No big deal. Jeeeesh.

No, not a drivers car, not a luxury car, nothing special by today's standards, and that's exactly my point.

The ATS is a drivers car, fine. but owners aren't going to use them solely for driving on back roads or on track days, they're daily drivers too.

What if I want to go to a nice restaurant after hitting the driving range? Do I have to take the clubs home first?

$1,200 worth of hockey equipment with me after an out of town game. Do I need to lug it all the way up to the hotel room?

$80 set of jumper cables in the trunk, do I have to take them with me when I leave the car for service?

Not the end of the world, but it's a piece of mind/convenience thing, and obviously some people care.

I understand and respect what you are saying. It is logical, but just not for this car. This is a classic slippery slope. Where do these unnecessary additions stop? Outside of this discussion, others complain that the ATS doesn't have this, doesn't have that, etc. I for one hope that Cadillac does not listen to any of them. I love them offering a pure drivers car for once and to add all these things.... 2 lbs here, 5 there, 15 here... Where does it stop? Eventually we end up with an unexciting middle-of-the-road boring sedan that nobody gives a crap about. If buyers want all that stuff, and also want a Cadillac, why not buy the CTS instead and leave our ATS for those that want the ATS as-is? Rhetorical questions here.

Does a "pure drivers car" need active noise cancelation, a pulsating seat, radar, cameras, CUE....? 10 pounds here, 20 there... You're really putting the car in the wrong class. It's a sport/luxury sedan, not a Caterham. No need to worry if 10 pounds of convenience features were added. I'm not saying the car needs to tie your shoes and brush your teeth, but another pound to secure whatever belongings you choose to keep in the car from being tampered with by a valet or technician seems worth it to me, and many "lesser" cars have had this for years. I don't know anyone who keeps their trunk completely empty.

Cadillac offers a remote locking fuel door as an option. That seems like more of a waste of a locking mechanism to me than the ability to lock cargo.

Quote Originally Posted by PasATS View Post
    Let's not argue semantics. My point about the ATS is valid.

Not the end of the world, but it's a piece of mind/convenience thing, and obviously some people care.
    Does anything else in the cadillac Lineup have something like this? The CTS-V had the perfect solution; the seats just plain don't fold back! lol.

I'm wondering if it was simply overlooked given the emphasis on chassis tuning or if it's a North America thing. Like touchscreen infotainment.

I'd bet money that it was just an oversight.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.