Big change in gas mileage
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Big change in gas mileage in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I got my ATS in February. The first couple of months I was averaging 20-21 mpg. This past month, the ...
    gmesam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t; manual, black on black

Big change in gas mileage

I got my ATS in February. The first couple of months I was averaging 20-21 mpg. This past month, the average has gone way up to 24-25 mpg.

I'm driving the same commute, which is maybe a little more city than hwy. Three factors have made a difference:

1- Weather has gotten warmer. I can definitely see an increase in mpg as the weather warmed up. (I'm in Detroit)
    2- Past first oil change. I got my first oil change last month; it might be a coincidence, but I've seen a good jump since. It might be just getting more miles on the engine...
    3- Smarter driving habit. I'm still driving enthusiastically here and there, but I'm taking better advantage of the manual to reduce rpm's at steady-state speeds on a regular basis.

That last point is the best part of a manual: efficiency when you want, power when you want.

Anyone else see the same?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: Big change in gas mileage

first couple of weeks was averaging 12 -14 average mpg now in low 20's past first oil change as well I really think its break in, I'm driving it harder than the more timid getting to know it miles.

Muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.5 lux

This car is smart it's your driving habits.i take it easy with mine and getting anywhere from 24 to 30 miles to a gallon. Very pleased

gmesam is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0t; manual, black on black

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    first couple of weeks was averaging 12 -14 average mpg now in low 20's past first oil change as well I really think its break in, I'm driving it harder than the more timid getting to know it miles.
    12-14?? Wow, how did you do that?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I would say, that after my first OCI MPG may have gone up 1-2mpg over what I was getting to be dead on the 24 mpg combined rating. That's was with a much more aggressive driving pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by gmesam View Post
    12-14?? Wow, how did you do that?
    lol.....I don't know, I'm not overly concerned with fuel economy but i was getting upset the first week i had the car, so each time my average bothered me I'd reset it. some clues are mine was an early build, and the early cars had to be extensively quality control driven by dealer as part of PDI and then they had to call onstar to verify the test miles had been put on it. clue two it had been dealer traded twice. so when i bought it it had 190 miles on it, i'm guessing that was enough time for it to learn stupid test drive people. so reset at delivery it settles at 14 mpg, i reset a month later it jumps up from 14 mpg and settles at 17, i reset last month and now it settles at 23 mpg.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

my car is almost 4 month old and in the beginning i was not getting more then 19 combined now i am getting 24 to 25 gas milage deffinetely improves after engine brakes in. I have not changed my driving habbits i step on it when i want to. Mine is tunned

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

Any car will get better MPG after the first oil change. That is why I do mine at 600-1000 miles. At least that has always been my experience with cars.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    Any car will get better MPG after the first oil change. That is why I do mine at 600-1000 miles. At least that has always been my experience with cars.
    i read somewhere that the first oil they put in ur car has some specific characteristics to help break in the engine. so they recomend u to keep that oil in the engine for as long as the car needs. like at least one full oil change cycle (until 20% oil life remaining for us i guess). but i have nothing to back this up with. just something i remember reading somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    i read somewhere that the first oil they put in ur car has some specific characteristics to help break in the engine. so they recomend u to keep that oil in the engine for as long as the car needs. like at least one full oil change cycle (until 20% oil life remaining for us i guess). but i have nothing to back this up with. just something i remember reading somewhere.
    this is true but varies by manufacturer

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    this is true but varies by manufacturer
    Honda was the only one to do this, on some of their engines.

there is no 'break in oil' in use by any other manufacturer.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I was honestly also getting only 15 during the first 5 or 600 miles, but we all like to see what the car has. Now that a couple thousand miles have gone by and I'm driving it more normal, I'm now getting about 22 and on a recent sort of long distance trip I got 25. Not too bad.

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

blech I got 23 on a trip from cleveland to michigan and back. EPA estimate says 30 I - that is a good 20% below that. That is not good. My trip was
    filled up at Bp - Premium - got on 2 -90 west to 480 to turnpike to 280 to 75n got off on Alexis - 5 mins to my brothers house. Seriously this trip was 99.99% highway miles never going above 75 (a lot of construction on turnpike so some 50-60 mph stretches...) and 23 mpg. The day I got my Passat TDI SEL - I made the same trip - 53 mpg. some 10 mpg over the epa estimate....I know it's not apples to apples but really 23?? blech.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Hope it improves with more miles. Others have. I didn't know AWD was rated at 30 highway.

Lots of headwinds? Did your brother have 91 on his breath when you said goodby?

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

Lol 93..at least I think it is 93 these days. We shall see if it improves. ..i can sell the ipad might cover 10 tanks lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.