Does this thing learn?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Does this thing learn? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have my Cadillac ATS performance for almost a month, and have put around 400 miles on it.... Today when ...
    ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Does this thing learn?

I have my Cadillac ATS performance for almost a month, and have put around 400 miles on it.... Today when I drove her, it really felt different, it felt very alive compared to before! I have a heavy foot and drive spiritedly! Does this car really learn? I read here that the on-board computers monitor the drivers driving habits and adjust the settings accordingly! But I didn't think that it is going to be so different and obvious....

I am happier than before, and I was happy at the beginning too!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Does this thing learn?

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    I have my Cadillac ATS performance for almost a month, and have put around 400 miles on it.... Today when I drove her, it really felt different, it felt very alive compared to before! I have a heavy foot and drive spiritedly! Does this car really learn? I read here that the on-board computers monitor the drivers driving habits and adjust the settings accordingly! But I didn't think that it is going to be so different and obvious....
    Yes it does. But I don't think its a sudden thing. Maybe a combination of that and the best possible air temp, density and humidity.

It was holding the gears longer than before, and yes, the car was still in touring mode....

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    It was holding the gears longer than before, and yes, the car was still in touring mode....
    Transmissions in some cars also learn.

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Well, since it appears to me that Caddy copied just about everything it could from the BMW 3-series (including such innocuous things as having to pull the inside door handle twice to open a locked door), they could have also copied BMW's ability to learn one's driving style. Don't know how it works, but I do know that on my 2002 325i and continuing onwards, through its Adaptive Transmission Management OBC program, the transmission is "trained" to adapt to your driving style as you drive the car (http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694128).
    ben.gators likes this.

glover is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Caddy transmissions have had adaptive functions since at least the mid 90's

ATX_BLK_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe
    Did you have your shifter pushed to the left in sport mode? That will do exactly what you described. Hold gears longer, more agressive downshifts, etc.....

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_BLK_CTS
    Did you have your shifter pushed to the left in sport mode? That will do exactly what you described. Hold gears longer, more agressive downshifts, etc.....
    I thought when you pushed it to the left it is in manual mode. Will it shift on its own?

Quote Originally Posted by ATX_BLK_CTS View Post
    When you push the shifter to left, it goes to manual mode. In manual mode the driver himself is supposed to shift using paddle shifter, if the car is equipped, or just by pushing the stick shifter itself forward or backward. However, in this mode the computer still monitors the shifting patterns and intervenes, if necessary, to protect the transmission and the engine! Examples:
    1-If you don't upshift and the engine RPM reaches to the redline, the car itself upshifts to protect the engine!
    2- You are reducing your speed, but you are not downshifting. In this case the car itself downshifts for you.
    3- Your speed is low and you are still accelerating and you want to upshift to a taller gear. In this case your shift command will be denied.

I think you are referring to numbers 1 and 2 in this list! It doesn't hold gears longer and it is not the sport mode! The computer is just trying to protect the engine and the transmission from you!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by glover View Post
    Caddy transmissions have had adaptive functions since at least the mid 90's
    My previous Cadillac was a '99 Seville STS, and it was equipped with Performance algorithm shifting, aka PAS. This system basically monitors the driver's driving patten, and if it decides the driver is driving very aggressively, the PAS kicks in. But it was very hard to get to that point and initiate the PAS system.

But in my ATS, I feel it adapts itself even for everyday driving.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gray STS View Post
    I thought when you pushed it to the left it is in manual mode. Will it shift on its own?
    No, that is how Cadillac used to engage sport mode, but with ats they broke it out of the shifter and gave it a dedicated button, manual shift and sport mode was a source of some confusion with both being in the same position

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    No, that is how Cadillac used to engage sport mode, but with ats they broke it out of the shifter and gave it a dedicated button, manual shift and sport mode was a source of some confusion with both being in the same position
    Oh, I see! After reading your post I realized that ATX_BLK_CTS drives a CTS! I thought he was commenting about his ATS and how he drives it! Thanks God it was just a misunderstanding! Yes, as you said, it seems that the ATS is different from the CTS!

ATX_BLK_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe
    Oops. I meant push to the right to sport mode.

----------

By putting it in sport mode (to the right) it starts in 1st gear which gives you faster starts, and also more aggressive shifts. Manually shifting in this mode is an option, but not mandatory. I much perfer the paddle shifters over the + - on the shifter.

----------

Caddi may have this engineered different on the ATS. Try and let us know.

----------

The sport mode button I mean......I drives much more livelyer. Happy driving ! Congrats on your ATS!

Peyton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 3.6 ATS Premium

FYI, VW has been doing the same with the door handles for at least 5 maybe 8 years. I've had 5 vws since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    I've had 5 vws since 2001.
    I can't believe they don't have a cure for that!

OK, I am lost....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.