Disabling hill assist?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Disabling hill assist? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; dunno if this was mentioned or not, but I have a manual with no CUE and I cant for the ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Disabling hill assist?

dunno if this was mentioned or not, but I have a manual with no CUE and I cant for the life of me find out how to disable that STUPID hill assist. I looked through the owners book and found nothing (am I blind?)

anyways, is there a fuse? I looked for that to and couldn't find one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Re: Disabling hill assist?

I know how Bendix's systems work and Ill assume these function on a similar principle - if so it is a function of the ABS controller/module and is thusly impossible to disable without removing the grade sensor (which would trigger a brake fault as it is used for rollover detection).

Personally I don't mind it - I know plenty of Subaru/BMW guys (and truckers with class 8 trucks) that love the feature. Take the car to Seattle or San Fran and I think it'd be a godsend when you're tired.

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    I know how Bendix's systems work and Ill assume these function on a similar principle - if so it is a function of the ABS controller/module and is thusly impossible to disable without removing the grade sensor (which would trigger a brake fault as it is used for rollover detection).

Personally I don't mind it - I know plenty of Subaru/BMW guys (and truckers with class 8 trucks) that love the feature. Take the car to Seattle or San Fran and I think it'd be a godsend when you're tired.
    lol yeah I guess it would be a godsend on those grades, but I think the steepest grade around here is like... 25degrees? its just annoying having the brake clamp on the slightest incline, its just not necessary and drives me nuts lol

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    lol yeah I guess it would be a godsend on those grades, but I think the steepest grade around here is like... 25degrees? its just annoying having the brake clamp on the slightest incline, its just not necessary and drives me nuts lol
    I'm always amazed at how small the angle actually is on a road that looks like a huge hill: a 25 degree grade would exceed the slope of the steepest street in the United States. The street that tops the list here http://www.fixr.com/infographics/top...t-streets.html has a 45 per cent gradient, which would be an angle of around 23 degrees. An airplane on descent to a runway typically follows a 3 degree descent path, but most people on the ground watching one approach to landing will estimate the angle at much steeper than that.

Izshint dat veird?
    danscrim likes this.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    I'm always amazed at how small the angle actually is on a road that looks like a huge hill: a 25 degree grade would exceed the slope of the steepest street in the United States. The street that tops the list here http://www.fixr.com/infographics/top...t-streets.html has a 45 per cent gradient, which would be an angle of around 23 degrees. An airplane on descent to a runway typically follows a 3 degree descent path, but most people on the ground watching one approach to landing will estimate the angle at much steeper than that.

Izshint dat veird?
    I appreciate the topic. Indeed people (including me) usually overestimate how steep something is. One correction: 45% grade is 20.25 degrees.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    I appreciate the topic. Indeed people (including me) usually overestimate how steep something is. One correction: 45% grade is 20.25 degrees.
    Could be, I didn't put too much thought into the calculation; however, I made the conversion from the chart on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_%28slope%29

Regardless, I tend to agree with Steve on the HillHolder: I'm not a big fan.

anyways, not to get into anything too deep about road construction or angles... I just want to get rid of that annoying wheel clamp whenever im on an incline lol.

just doing some looking, the camaro guys figured it out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    just doing some looking, the camaro guys figured it out

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649
    Good find for anyone wanting to permanently disable.

Edit: Or maybe not. See below.
    roadpie4u likes this.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Strange... I figured removing the grade sensor would do it... but I can't believe GM made a "dummy" grade sensor for automatic cars instead of just omitting that whole layer of the harness...

Well - good to know.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

doesn't look like that will work for you guys
    might be worth trying though

reason i say so is that after looking at the camaro part numbers (for the MT vs AT yaw sensors) and then comparing to the ATS yaw sensor part number

there is only one ATS yaw sensor for both AT and MT cars unlike the Camaro that has two

so... the question then becomes can you use the camaro part number and will that talk nice with the rest of the ATS systems?
    i doubt it ... but again it might be worth someone trying just to find out for sure
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    What is so bad about the hill assist? I like it. This will also save wear and tear on the clutch over time.
    Jones atsnh likes this.

Jones atsnh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0t Premium

Also I've found that the softer you stop the less frequent the hill assist turns on. If you stop hard the hill assist activates, but if you barely come to a stop the hill assist doesn't grab.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

It does seem to take a little extra pressure on the brake pedal to activate it on my car. Soft touch, no clamp effect.

Jones atsnh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.0t Premium

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    It does seem to take a little extra pressure on the brake pedal to activate it on my car. Soft touch, no clamp effect.
    Exactly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.