Disabling hill assist? - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Disabling hill assist? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I saw someome have to be shown the trick of using the auto-release feature of the electronic parking brake on ...
    pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Re: Disabling hill assist?

I saw someome have to be shown the trick of using the auto-release feature of the electronic parking brake on a CTS-V wagon as a quasi hill assist after he burned out the clutch on his super steep driveway. I'm sure he'd love hill assist.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee 01 View Post
    What is so bad about the hill assist? I like it. This will also save wear and tear on the clutch over time.
    Well, since you asked, these are my answers: (1) I am used to the very slight roll-back on a hill, and it's absence is slightly disconcerting (but by no means something to which I cannot adapt), and (2) I actually prefer to allow a car to roll in a given direction without actually having to apply power in certain situations, a finesse move that the "hill-holder" prevents unless I wait for 3 seconds, which is a time interval that is irritating. Finally, and with reference to (1) above, I recognize that it (3) contributes to a certain laziness in footwork to which I am unwilling to succumb at this point in history.

If the hill assist saves wear and tear on the clutch, I'll credit it with an extra 3 days of clutch life (a number I admittedly pulled out of my arse), which I will gladly trade for the freedom of being able to control the car myself without artificial intervention .

All joking aside, though: the entire reason I enjoy driving a manual transmission is that it provides a sense of control over the powertrain of the vehicle that cannot be had with any automatic powertrain system. Whether or not this sense of control is less efficient or less durable is not the point: I am simply not interested in computer or electro-mechanical controlled interference in every single freakin' aspect of my driving experience. The hill assist is just another example of driving freedom interference with virtually non-existent benefit for those skilled with a clutch.

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    All joking aside, though: the entire reason I enjoy driving a manual transmission is that it provides a sense of control over the powertrain of the vehicle that cannot be had with any automatic powertrain system. Whether or not this sense of control is less efficient or less durable is not the point: I am simply not interested in computer or electro-mechanical controlled interference in every single freakin' aspect of my driving experience. The hill assist is just another example of driving freedom interference with virtually non-existent benefit for those skilled with a clutch.
    Well written.

Off the top of my head I can see several areas where the hill hold would become an annoyance. Parallel parking on a hill - I generally use the engine to move in one direction and gravity to move the car in the other. Rocking the car out of the snow - again power in one direction gravity in the other to build up a rocking motion and get going again.

With most manual transmission customers dedicated MT drivers I do not see the need to offer this feature. I definitely do not understand why it is easily defeatable via the CUE.

1formula is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

i only own manual transmissions and this is my first with hill assist. LOVE it. GREAT feature.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by 1formula View Post
    i only own manual transmissions and this is my first with hill assist. LOVE it. GREAT feature.
    Although I don't think it's a bad feature, I do not love it; like Stevo, I just wish it could be turned off. Forever.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I feel like it just causes a lot of unnecessary clutch riding

1formula is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    I feel like it just causes a lot of unnecessary clutch riding
    quite the opposite for me. i always envied those old subaru drivers that had it (and i had a manual subaru withOUT it and was bummed)

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

History lesson for the day.

Studebaker was first to offer "Hill Holder" (designed and trademarked by Wagner Electric and built by Bendix) in their 1936 President and continued to offer it into the '60's. Several US, European and Japanese companies have offered it too. Bert
    1formula likes this.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I just feel like thats another .5-1 second longer I'm riding the clutch to get it going and its still being held in place for no reason, whereas without hill assist I could just rev it, drop the clutch and be off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.