3.6L turbo kit or Supercharger?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 3.6L turbo kit or Supercharger? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I was hoping d3 would have something by now, but anyone know who is in development and or a release ...
    tomuchwrk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L Performance 2wd 42k miles

3.6L turbo kit or Supercharger?

I was hoping d3 would have something by now, but anyone know who is in development and or a release date of a turbo kit or supercharger for the 3.6?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: 3.6L turbo kit or Supercharger?

isn't this 3.6 the whore of the V6 GM family? isn't there a blower kit out for this engine at all? You'd figure there would be as the LFX is used in EVERYTHING

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

There are kits for the Camaro. KPE is looking at producing an ATS version of their Camaro supercharger kit. I have no idea when it will be ready or if it has the green light yet.

that could be interesting. I wonder how much work it would be to retrofit?

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    There are kits for the Camaro. KPE is looking at producing an ATS version of their Camaro supercharger kit. I have no idea when it will be ready or if it has the green light yet.
    I think the supercharged Camaro produces over 400HP! what about the transmission and the rear end of ATS? They are strong enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    I think the supercharged Camaro produces over 400HP! what about the transmission and the rear end of ATS? They are strong enough?
    I read somewhere in these forums that the auto trans is rated for not much more torque than the NA V6 puts out. But i don't know if that was accurate AND these things are not exactly that simple. For example, I believe the torque ratings are almost always based on the highest gear. So if the overall gear ratio is such that a car can't pull max engine torque RPM in high gear then it could be safe to have more engine torque than the trans is rated at. If the Camaros use the same trans and gearing, it would be safe for us if it is for them.

Another consideration is the rear end. Manual trans cars and Premium cars get a bigger, stronger diff than all other ATSs.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I read somewhere in these forums that the auto trans is rated for not much more torque than the NA V6 puts out.

Another consideration is the rear end. Manual trans cars and Premium cars get a bigger, stronger diff than all other ATSs.
    That's what I remember too! But from engineering point of view, and also based on common sense, I really doubt they put a transmission on a mass produced car that is rated very close to engine's max torque. There should be always a large gap between these two numbers. However, GM is infamous for making such stupid decisions. Example: 2006 Impala SS. Or 2004, 2005 V1s! those Vs and regular CTSs share the same rear end and shafts!

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    That's what I remember too! But from engineering point of view, and also based on common sense, I really doubt they put a transmission on a mass produced car that is rated very close to engine's max torque. There should be always a large gap between these two numbers. However, GM is infamous for making such stupid decisions. Example: 2006 Impala SS. Or 2004, 2005 V1s! those Vs and regular CTSs share the same rear end and shafts!
    Ratings aren't immediate failure points. And you are right that manufactures will overbuild if its cheap to but sometimes cut things too close by normal people standards. The current generation Mustang V6s have a drive shaft that fails very often over 120 MPH. Why? because marketing wanted to be able to say over 300 HP and over 30 MPG. They got the last 10th of a MPG with a flimsy drive-shaft. That required them to add a 114 MPH governor. Of course they never told customers why there was a 114 MPH governor so the common conclusion was the base tires weren't rated over that. So people changed tires and bypassed the governor and ended up with a torn up undercarriage or worse. I never saw any forum posts about anyone dieing but most dead people don't post either.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I would be concerned about the drive-shaft before anything else.

The F/I Camaro's out there are running manual transmissions, they do run a stronger auto than the ATS (the 6L50E) but it's also a heavier car. Neither trans has had extensive aftermarket research to say if they're stout under pressure or not. I'm pretty sure there are only 1-2 companies doing stall converters for the 50E.

This particular trans has seen use in the E90 316-330i, but more importantly in the X3 and X1 which are smallish SUV's with curb weights tipping 4,000lbs in the case of the X3. The 3.6 & 2.0T ATS are probably running the most power and torque of any 6L45E car, but they're also 35-3600 lbs. I would say it has a harder life in the X3, but certainly GM is making full use of it's capabilities in the ATS given the exact same power train gets a whole different trans for an additional 2-300lbs structure.

There's no way it'll be in an ATS-V(I suspect the same 8 speed from the V sport, or a 6L80E), so the best answer here would be that; trying to figure out the breaking point for this trans is best left out of the picture. There will be no aftermarket upgrade opportunities.

Any update on this?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.