Considering a new ATS, or some luxury AWD
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Considering a new ATS, or some luxury AWD in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys, I think the new ATS would nicely compliment my 09 V sedan in the garage, so I am ...
    HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

Lightbulb Considering a new ATS, or some luxury AWD

Hey guys, I think the new ATS would nicely compliment my 09 V sedan in the garage, so I am looking for opinions on the '13/'14 ATS and what others who have first-hand experience could share with me.

I particularly would like an AWD model (do they come otherwise?) since I live here in New England, and with snow tires on my V last year I wasn't overly impressed, of course as I expected. I also would like to know if there are any concernable differences between the 2013 and 2014 model. I expect that I would be able to pick up a last year's leftover model (2013) or a lightly used '13 when the 2014's roll into the dealerships. When will that happen?

Could anobody help point me in the right direction to start my research and read others' reviews? I would greatly appreciate hearing the opinions on them and I think this is a great place to start. Definitely need the AWD, so please keep that in mind as it's the only reason I'm buying another car. Do the regular CTS come AWD? What about the XTS?

Thank you [in advance],
    Joe

P.S. I would be open to other luxury AWD vehicle suggestions except the Acrua TL awd. Even electric if it's cool.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: Considering a new ATS, or some luxury AWD

No major differences vetween 2013 and 2014. A fatter steering wheel hoop no frame around the rear view mirror a new purple paint color are the biggies (not). naturally the cost differences could be huge because of incentives, MSRPs hardly changed. The 2014s are already at dealers.

Yes they make RWD ATS, not just AWD. I really dislike AWD but fortunately (or maybe because of that) I live in central Arizona. I absolutely understand the need or want for AWD in some locations.

Since FWD and AWD were not in the running, I can't compare any of them to the ATS. But I researched and drove the RWD competitors (Mercedes and BMW) and with the exception of CUE, the ATS blew them away for everything I cared about. Which is the hard part about getting useful advise on the internet, different people have different priorities. For instance, I know that some people with kids or who have regular back seat passengers or play golf with Rodney Dangerfield bags have complained about the size of the trunk or rear seat leg room.

I think pretty much anyone considering an ATS should spend considerable time playing with CUE including pairing it with their phone, etc. (unless they are buying a base without CUE). It is seriously half baked at best (to be kind). I knew this before I bought but was willing to put up with it for the incredible handling, power-band (of the turbo) and looks. Many people who put the infotainment tech high on their lists have been bitterly disapointed.

And FYI, more than a few buyers of base and Luxury trims did not know until after the sale that the LED front accent lights only come with the Performance and Premium trims. Same with HIDs although those are very easy to upgrade after the fact. The LEDs though are a major expense to add later for among other reasons the units include all the hardware for the adaptive headlights.

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

I sincerely thank you for your reply. I don't know how I missed a reply in this thread since I am subscribed to it.. nevertheless thank you and I am going to the dealership to test drive one this weekend. I'm looking forward to it even more now!

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

I have had my 3.6 Premium AWD since December; absolutely the best car I've ever owned.

Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Just went through the very same process last week:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...decisions.html

To cut to the chase I looked at BMW 3 series, MB C Class, Acura TS, Audi A4, etc etc, all AWD too (Canadian winters!) and went with the Performance package 3.6 AWD. Driving the car is what sealed the deal, it truly is an amazingly capable handling car, with decent power, and a nice load of "stuff". It felt more modern than the others mentioned, is not yet a common sight on the road (it's nice to have something a little different), and with the '13 the dealer was willing to dicker on price. Some other nice points with the 3.6 in particular is it only requires regular fuel, not premium, and it even has a nice throaty growl when you get on it but is whisper quiet in normal cruising. It really is a very surprising car to drive!

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    I traded in a 2012 V on a 2.0T. Premium. Comparatively, don't expect too much. The ATS runs good as long as you don't ask too much from it. Since you have a V, I'm not sure if you are into mods, pulley, intake, etc. If you like to mod then the turbo is the way to go. You will appreciate the gas mileage. Going from 13 MPG to 21-25 MPG is terrific. Like others have said, if you want the LEDs make sure you go with the Performance or Premium. It is a lot smaller car than the CTS (you can tell it weighs a lot less too), but with the magnetic ride control, it will hang corners like the V does.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I have had my 3.6 Premium AWD since December; absolutely the best car I've ever owned.
    Hi David,

I am happy to hear your ATS is the best vehicle you have ever owned! Continue to enjoy your Cadillac If you ever have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact us.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by HUGN*RDS View Post
    I sincerely thank you for your reply. I don't know how I missed a reply in this thread since I am subscribed to it.. nevertheless thank you and I am going to the dealership to test drive one this weekend. I'm looking forward to it even more now!
    Hello HUGN*RDS,

I am glad to see the community engaged in helping you decide which vehicle to purchase! I see you are going to test drive the ATS this weekend. I hope you enjoy driving it around. Keep us updated on what you are thinking after the ride. If there are ever any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.