What RPM do you shift at?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, What RPM do you shift at? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Automatics Need not Apply Random I know, but coming from N/A and S/C engines it almost seems like the turbo ...
    Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

What RPM do you shift at?

Automatics Need not Apply

Random I know, but coming from N/A and S/C engines it almost seems like the turbo doesn't like to be shifted low, and is really temperamental with launch RPMS. It almost seems easier to shift the aforementioned engine types at lower RPMS than this one.

I usually shift at 3.5K RPM and launch at 1.5, anything less and the car seems not to like it very much, am I wrong? The car also seems to stall REALLY easily if launched at just a hair too low RPM.

What RPMS do you guys with manuals shift at? and I'm talking normal driving not "spirited" lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You "launch" at 1.5K during normal driving?

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

Re: What RPM do you shift at?

I agree that it will bog down in first if I am not careful to give it some RPMs, probably around 1,500 as you say. When i have the stereo up loud and can't hear the engine well, that is when i tend to bog off the line. The gears are really short on this car, especially compared with my Saab 9-5. For example, it seems comfortable at 35-40 MPH in 4th, keeping a minimum of 2,000 RPM. My Saab runs in 3rd at that speed (5 speed box, however). Thus, I find myself shifting pretty quickly in the ATS into second and using the strong torque in second and third. Under casual driving I shift at no more than 3,500 maybe a few hundred less. Even for brisk acceleration, I shift at 4,500 to 5,000. Like most turbos, it does not seem to do much good to rev above 5,000.

roadpie4u is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

During normal driving?

I shift before 2500rpm, usually around 2000... At 45mph I'm going into 6th gear and on flat terrain it seems quite happy there plugging along. I can't imagine being in 4th at 45mph - the slightest throttle tip-in would have the turbo spinning and you'd surge forward. What sort of mpg do you guys get driving in that part of rev range?

...we need a boost gauge...

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    During normal driving?

I shift before 2500rpm, usually around 2000... At 45mph I'm going into 6th gear and on flat terrain it seems quite happy there plugging along. I can't imagine being in 4th at 45mph - the slightest throttle tip-in would have the turbo spinning and you'd surge forward. What sort of mpg do you guys get driving in that part of rev range?

...we need a boost gauge...
    I would love Cadillac to offer a boost gauge, even as an accessory.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

normal driving i shift before or at 3000. normal driving takeoff i dont launch at all. i ease off the clutch until the car starts rolling. i dont apply accelerator until the clutch is completely off. that might be wrong i guess but im very careful with the clutch. i do all this fast enough not to be really slow at the start off at a red light.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I've tried letting off at lower RPM to launch, but it bucks like a wild bull lol. Maybe its just me, but whatever its a lease.. if the clutch is worn when it goes back then so be it

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual
    I find that I don't have to boost the RPMs at launch; I only hit the gas once I reach the friction point. It shifts into 2nd the smoothest at between 2500 and 3000 RPM, but shifts aren't as smooth until it warms up. In normal driving I shift into 3rd at 40 km/h (25MPH), 4th at 50 (35MPH), 5th at 65 (42 MPH), and 6th at 80 (50 MPH).

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I don't have an ATS but have only owned MT cars. How can you say where you normally shift? What is normal. The reason I drive MT is I want to decide when to shift not the car. Locally I have my Lincoln in top (fifth gear non-OD) by 35 mph (usually skipping 4th gear), merging on the highway I'm in third until I reach traveling speed (as long as that is under 85) and then shift (usually right into 5th if I am done accelerating).

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    I don't have an ATS but have only owned MT cars. How can you say where you normally shift? What is normal. The reason I drive MT is I want to decide when to shift not the car. Locally I have my Lincoln in top (fifth gear non-OD) by 35 mph (usually skipping 4th gear), merging on the highway I'm in third until I reach traveling speed (as long as that is under 85) and then shift (usually right into 5th if I am done accelerating).
    itll take too long to explain. the rest of us understood what he meant.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.