Cadillac Owners Forum banner

GM single CD player for the ATS

35K views 87 replies 51 participants last post by  Sergio526 
#1 ·
glove box mounted plug and play single CD player for the ATS in stock at $231.00 plus $10.00-$15.00 to ship. give me a call at 703-647-8670 between 730-4 Eastern

#5 ·
It's part of the upgraded sound which is an option in Luxury and bundled with the CUE option in the base.

I was surprised to see a CD player at all and would remove mine if I wasn't worried about side effects or gaping holes in the glove box. It makes no sense to have it in the glove box. And I think virtually every ATS buyers has an Ipod or can put their music on a USB drive or SD card. So the CD drive seems redundant.

#7 ·
I was surprised to see a CD player at all and would remove mine if I wasn't worried about side effects or gaping holes in the glove box. It makes no sense to have it in the glove box. And I think virtually every ATS buyers has an Ipod or can put their music on a USB drive or SD card. So the CD drive seems redundant.
It makes sense from the standpoint that they wanted the center dash to be very seamless. Otherwise, it seems more of an afterthought and concession to a consumer base that might still be old-school enough to carry around CD's.

#12 ·
I have a digital music library pushing 50 gigabytes and 12,000 songs, that said I still buy CD's but only for the best and favorites, because they sound the best, and i like to Rip these myself to a higher quality standard than what i can download, so I'm glad i have the player, but am scratching my head why they put it out of reach. I would much rather have it where the SRX has it below the secret door, instead of that useless little cigarette box holder/ lighter covered hole.

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure they put it out of sight because it's only there so they can tell the few people who want one they can have one. That was the least valuable real estate to put it in. Since you can rip a CD without losing ANY quality, I think they probably figured people like you would rather have their thousands of song available from an SD card by voice command at any time rather than hauling around a bunch of CDs and fumbling with them on the road. It's always a drag to fall TOO far outside the majority. So people like you have to put up with a CD player in the glove box and people like me have to put up with ZERO nonmetallic paint color choices (black isn't a color LoL).

#14 ·
Just bought a Cadillac ats, I will never buy an iphone or ipod, apple makes me sick, and my ats didn't come with a cd player at all. I thought every car came with a cd player these days. guess ill have to buy 1 and then reach in the glove box everytime. I guess im diff. then most people that buy cadillacs now for some reason. I guess I don't want to be a carbon copy of everyone else, and im sick of using a computer to convert music and move around my music and I have a shit load of cds. Cadillac is no longer the standard in automobiles in my book... everyone is too eager to sell out to this mainstream idea of copying and buying music off the internet. I wish people would wake up and realize this is just another way for the government to control what can be realesed by musicians who don't sing pop songs about whatever they decide we can hear... I miss America!

#15 ·
Just bought a Cadillac ats, I will never buy an iphone or ipod, apple makes me sick, and my ats didn't come with a cd player at all. I thought every car came with a cd player these days. guess ill have to buy 1 and then reach in the glove box everytime. I guess im diff. then most people that buy cadillacs now for some reason. I guess I don't want to be a carbon copy of everyone else, and im sick of using a computer to convert music and move around my music and I have a shit load of cds. Cadillac is no longer the standard in automobiles in my book... everyone is too eager to sell out to this mainstream idea of copying and buying music off the internet. I wish people would wake up and realize this is just another way for the government to control what can be realesed by musicians who don't sing pop songs about whatever they decide we can hear... I miss America!
ur a hipster arent u. admit it.

#22 ·
copyguy101 said:
This guy must see black helicopters above. Wow.....

#26 ·
Hoosier Daddy said:
It's part of the upgraded sound which is an option in Luxury and bundled with the CUE option in the base. I was surprised to see a CD player at all and would remove mine if I wasn't worried about side effects or gaping holes in the glove box. It makes no sense to have it in the glove box. And I think virtually every ATS buyers has an Ipod or can put their music on a USB drive or SD card. So the CD drive seems redundant.
I have been using my CD unit most of this week and IMO, the Bose surround sound 10 speaker system sounds better, clearer and louder than when I listen to my XM .

#30 ·
When I was shopping for my car last month, I saw that the CD Player was an option for the glove box or as part of the Sun and Sound Package.
The immediate thought was: The CD player will soon be unnecessary for cars. I ask: Do people remember 8-Track? Cassettes? VCR?
My Olds Intrigue came with CD and Cassette combined, "Standard"! For Y2K, that was "oh, Wow!".

So the CD player option would not have been a deal-breaker for my new ATS. I have it so I can keep maybe 1 CD in the car, just as I kept 1 cassette in the Olds.

I guess I am saying embrace the future, but keep a piece from the "past" around.

#31 ·
I too had an Olds Intrigue, a 2002. I never once used the cassette player. I think I used the CD player a few times, but rarely. I then had a Lacrosse whose CD only got used on day one to play the OnStar CD that came with it. Then a 2011 Regal whose CD player was never used in 3 years. Now on the ATS I have the player in the glove box and know it will never be used since all my music is now on my phone. I'd probably do better to remove it and free up space in the glove box.

#33 ·
Wow...what an old thread. What's funny is people are concern about room in the glovebox....which I seldom ever use! I have most everything in the console cause the glove box is so small and useless...rather it house a cd player for that occasional great sounding cd you might have; it's not good for anything else other than your registration and insurance slip.

#35 ·
I have two 2014 CTS sedans. One came with a CD player as part of the leather seating package. The other does not have that option package and thus no CD player.

I had my local dealer swap the CD player but they stated that it would not work. They said it sent the CUE system into an "access mode."

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks

#44 ·
Who would want to pay over $200 for a CD player in their car when they can plug in a 32GB flash drive (holding much more than 20 songs) purchased for 10% of that?

#46 ·
I don't use the CD in my CTS often but it's nice to have.

I have around 300 CDs that go back decades and it's convenient to just grab one once in a while to play in the car. Beats going through the hassle of putting them on flash drives. Most of the time I'm happy listening to Pandora but yesterday I grabbed Boston's first album and listened to that for a while when I was driving around because I hadn't heard it in the last year or so.

Bill

#52 ·
I don't use my CD player, but I wanted it when I bought the car,

When i put my CDs on my i-pod years ago, memory was still expensive and the sound wasn't as good as the CD because the lower quality format was common to use. Today is a different story. They can be ripped in higher quality.

#53 ·
i like having the CD player...when my wife and i got together between us we had over 500 CD's they've been ripped into iTunes (on the computer) for over a dozen years...they have since been backed up onto iTunes Match, backed up again in Google Music, and backed up again with Carbonite...now i have total music freedom no matter which kind of phone i have, and no matter where i am i can get to my music...but i digress, the reason i like the CD player is the audio quality, i purchase and download songs online like most folks these days but for highly anticipated albums from favorite artists i buy the CD i then rip at a higher standard than i can buy and i enjoy the CD in the car for the highest quality audio

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.