Decisions, decisions...
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Ancient Mariner
  • 2 Post By pever
  • 1 Post By ben.gators
  • 1 Post By Siren05
  • 2 Post By Ancient Mariner
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Decisions, decisions... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; First post, but I've been lurking doing a lot of research for. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new ...
    Ancient Mariner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Performance

Question Decisions, decisions...

First post, but I've been lurking doing a lot of research for. Anyway, I'm in the market for a new small(ish) premium sedan with AWD as a must (Canada and it's winters...eh!). Other than that, it's wide open - so I've looked at the usual Euro suspects (3 series, C class, A4, S60) along with a couple others (Acura, Infiniti, etc). Been doing this for a while now and had almost overlooked Cadillac's new ATS as I had previously looked at a CTS4 but just a bit too big for what I'm looking for and ruled that one out. So started checking on the new baby Caddy and finally went in and tested one from local dealer stock. I like bells and whistles and gadgets LOL, so I took out the "one with the mostest" that they had on the lot - a Black Diamond Performance 3.6 AWD model with everything except Nav and adaptive cruise. What can I say? I was/am VERY impressed! Car is very responsive, nice power with truly surprising hanlding ability and just the right size! I've always been into performance cars (have owned various over the years that I modified and raced - F-bodies, Mustangs, Shelby, AMG) and not looking for that kind of thing in this car, but it's abilities for a small 4 door sedan are a pleasant surprise in what will be a workhorse daily driver for sure. But yea, with that said I do realize I'm preaching to the choir here . So what I'm really looking for is for those who've owned, or cross-shopped that same competition I mentioned above, what was it the put you over the edge to choose the ATS? Also, and I have read through various "issues" here, are there are real platform wide know problems with this car? I don't think I read anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    MotoDC likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Same sort of situation here. Took me 3 months to pull the trigger. Audi dealer is across the road from the Cadillac dealer and several times I drove across the road for a test drive comparison. The Audi is de-contented. Try to get their adaptive cruise control - costly and factory only orders (for Canada). The S4 drive might be nicer, and the A6 compares nicely, but overall the Audis I looked at cost more and gave less. I have the Premium 2.0T AWD and find it has all the acceleration and braking I want for daily driving - I don't track. Love the seat adjustability and room in the front. I am over 17,000 km in 6 months - once a week or so I drive up to 8 hours round trip. I use the adaptive cruise control and HUD a lot. NAV is "okay" but can be glitchy for sure. I have had a LOT of nuisance problems: ticking heater noise, oil pressure line, gas tank valve, shift console light blinking on/off, seat position module, seat back (not sure yet), power steering... all minor really and they pick it up from me leaving me a caddy so the repairs are not that big a deal. I figured in a first model year car that I would see early-adapter problems so I have not been disappointed. I like the OnStar offerings and their iPhone app. I do find the Bluetooth unsuitable at highway speeds even though the car is VERY quiet inside. Just a poor sound for the person on the other end when I am at speed. The Toronto area did not get much serious winter weather so I cannot really say about AWD handling. If you get the sunroof, there will still be lots of room in the front but look closely as it cuts into head room at the rear.
    MotoDC and Groomie like this.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

After 5-6 months of search and research, and test driving different fun, sporty cars, including 3 series, A4, TT, A5, I couldn't pull the trigger on any of those cars, but one day I stopped by the Cadillac dealership and test drove an '13 ATS 2.0L turbo performance, and two hours later I left the dealership in my new '13 ATS 2.0L turbo performance! ATS is that good!

As for the problems, 1- every mass produced car comes with problems and ATS is not an exception. 2- 2013 is the first year of the ATS, so there might be some small problems here and there that needed to be addressed. Other than this no major problem has been reported.
    MotoDC likes this.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

My 2.0T is flawless. It's been tuned by trifecta so it's now very quick..love it.

I drove and priced all the same cars.i own a race built STI for beating up really fast cars on the track so my ATS only serves as a great quick cheap daily work horse.it handles amazing making me push it faster in the corners.
    MotoDC likes this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

But yea, with that said I do realize I'm preaching to the choir here . So what I'm really looking for is for those who've owned, or cross-shopped that same competition I mentioned above, what was it the put you over the edge to choose the ATS? Also, and I have read through various "issues" here, are there are real platform wide know problems with this car? I don't think I read anything like that.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!
    First, What's your Budget? A fully loaded ATS4 3.6 is approximately a $55K vehicle all said and done.
    Second, are you dead set on a brand-brand new car? IE are you willing to search for a few weeks/months for a good 1-2 model year old CPO?

Just spitting out some answers for you based on what you've mentioned. I would give a CPO B8 S4 prestige a look, but that's because I prefer to own a car for the car's sake and not because of what technology it has. A loaded 1-2 MY prestige will be in your price range, and be a better driver's muscle AWD car while still having lots of tech. If such things are important to you.

If you're not looking for a slightly used but still under warranty car(or have little concern for ensuring that you're choosing the creme of the crop of driving vehicles), The only other vehicle I might consider is a 328 or 335xi, which will end up costing you more for the same car as an ATS4. What you will find though, is that while the ATS4 has lots of technology, the car's suspension is on the firm side of firm, and the seats are supportive for driving, but not for long distance trips. This is where the B8 and 3 series step in and offer a 'softer' grand touring car vs a racer like the ATS. Now, I like that in my car, but some people don't. The B8 and 335i will soakup bumps better, and are easier to live with if you're not the type to take a friday off to just go out and drive.

the 3.6 ATS4 is in a weird price point that makes it an attractive buy from both a drivers car perspective , and because of GM's trim package makes it a good value for price as well. I wouldn't consider the merc or A4 simply because they're overpriced or under powered. I would also avoid the infinity, mostly because there's no way you could convince me of paying a base MSRP of 37K for the same car that was introduced in 2006.

And Acura? Everything from Acura sans maybe the RL belongs in the 'half luxury' laudells of Buick and Hyundai's genesis line. You can get a 'lot' of gadgets and a supple ride if you want to sacrifice everything else. Styling is generally horrible and I'm convinced they've been floating on the brand name and resale value for the last few years.

If all you *really* care about is gadets and technology, the lexus IS is pretty unique in it's application of such. I have my own opinions of the car from a styling perspective, but there's no denying that it's infotainment is a stand-alone in it's application of an actual mouse (not that this means it actually works. I find it worse than CUE) the Gauge cluster is also similarly dazzling, and that it's also rated as a good driving car. The only sacrifice in the IS is adaptive cruise control I believe. The upside is that, fully loaded, it comes in the cheapest, a 350AWD with luxury trim package rings under 50K.

Quote Originally Posted by pever View Post
    ...Love the seat adjustability and room in the front. I am over 17,000 km in 6 months - once a week or so I drive up to 8 hours round trip. I use the adaptive cruise control and HUD a lot. NAV is "okay" but can be glitchy for sure. I have had a LOT of nuisance problems: ticking heater noise, oil pressure line, gas tank valve, shift console light blinking on/off, seat position module, seat back (not sure yet), power steering... all minor really and they pick it up from me leaving me a caddy so the repairs are not that big a deal. I figured in a first model year car that I would see early-adapter problems so I have not been disappointed. I like the OnStar offerings and their iPhone app. I do find the Bluetooth unsuitable at highway speeds even though the car is VERY quiet inside. Just a poor sound for the person on the other end when I am at speed. The Toronto area did not get much serious winter weather so I cannot really say about AWD handling. If you get the sunroof, there will still be lots of room in the front but look closely as it cuts into head room at the rear.
    The sport seats are very nice for sure, especially the adjustable side bolsters and thigh support. I also have a Ford Edge with adaptive cruise and yes it's great on the highway, but I'm on in that mode a lot just mostly city stuff, so not a biggie. I agree on how quiet the ATS is too, my wife (who'll be driving it mostly) kept specifally mentioning that part. Except when you hit the gas, the V6 emits a very nice growl up through the rpm range, that's also noticeable on the rev-matched downshifts when in manual mode. Another plus though I guess! We get a lot of snow in my area every year so I also go with dedicated wheels/snow tires on whatver we drive.

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    After 5-6 months of search and research, and test driving different fun, sporty cars, including 3 series, A4, TT, A5, I couldn't pull the trigger on any of those cars, but one day I stopped by the Cadillac dealership and test drove an '13 ATS 2.0L turbo performance, and two hours later I left the dealership in my new '13 ATS 2.0L turbo performance! ATS is that good!

As for the problems, 1- every mass produced car comes with problems and ATS is not an exception. 2- 2013 is the first year of the ATS, so there might be some small problems here and there that needed to be addressed. Other than this no major problem has been reported.
    That first part is probably a good way to look at - we've looked at all those like I mentioned, but just can't seem to pull the trigger. The ATS is different .

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    My 2.0T is flawless. It's been tuned by trifecta so it's now very quick..love it.

I drove and priced all the same cars.i own a race built STI for beating up really fast cars on the track so my ATS only serves as a great quick cheap daily work horse.it handles amazing making me push it faster in the corners.
    That's the roll mine will be playing too, comfortable daily driver for her with a bit of fun thrown in when I have it LOL.

Yea that 55k figure is sorta my upper limit and that's why the 335ix got ruled out. But again this will be a daily workhorse, mostly for her, I have a Ford Edge for my own purposes there. The other stuff is strictly for the toy - just recently got rid of my Shelby GT500, so looking around for something to replace that. Variety is the spice of life!

----------

Woah...I had a long post with quotes addressing the other inputs as well but it didn't snow up?! I can't type is all again LOL, so I'll just add thank everyone for their thoughts and impressions so far, much appreciated!

Well looks like a decision has been made, picking it up later today!
    MotoDC likes this.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Congrats! What trim/color did you buy? I think many of us had do go through the same process, we liked and wanted the ATS but we had to rule out the competitors for piece of mind. No regrets.

It's a Performance 3.6 AWD, Black Diamond with light platinum/jet black. I'm sure there's probably some package content differences between Canada and the U.S. so the titles may not mean much but it has Cue w/Bose Surround, Driver Awareness Package, Leather Seating Package, and sunroof. I "think" the Canadian "leather package also includes what is called the cold weather package in the U.S. i.e. heated steering wheel, heated seats, and remote start. Basically everything except Nav and adaptive cruise. Bright sunny day too today at pick and that Black Diamond is absolutely crazy in direct sunlight!!! I'll get some pics up later

Her birthday too, so that worked out - killed two birds with one stone ... pickup at the dealer below. Now we're off for a little weekend road trip getaway and to put some break-in miles on it. Thanks again to everyone for the input, it really is a very surprising car to drive!

DSC02115b.JPG

DSC02129b.JPG
    ben.gators and MotoDC like this.

Diamondeye24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None
    That is so cool. Congrats on the car and the birthday.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MotoDC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium, 3.6L AWD

She'll have loads of fun! Congrats!

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Very Nice! you're a smart man.

"Happy wife, happy life" LOL. Put about a thousand klicks on it over the weekend; car performed flawlessly, of course .
    ben.gators likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.