Anyone else have the 2.5 engine and would you buy it again.
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Anyone else have the 2.5 engine and would you buy it again. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Now maybe being 67 has something to do with my choice of engines and how I drive, but quite frankly ...
    Felton10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5 luxury, 2014 ATS 2.0 luxury

Anyone else have the 2.5 engine and would you buy it again.

Now maybe being 67 has something to do with my choice of engines and how I drive, but quite frankly after driving the 2.0 in a loaner ATS (and having to actually look at the badging on the back of the car to verify that I had a 2.0), I am not sure it is worth the extra 1,800.

I have read everything about why would you would want a Malibu engine in a Caddilac and quite frankly that doesn't bother me. So maybe I can't get to 60 in 6 seconds-it takes me a second and a half longer. All I know is that I had a Saab 2.0 Turbo and that was a much better engine than the 2.0 in the ATS. Much more responsive and no studdering.

What are others opinion who have a 2.5 and would you get the same engine again after having driven it.

PS-I obviously noted the drop off in responsiveness and power from the 2008 CTS which I traded in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: Anyone else have the 2.5 engine and would you buy it again.

I drove all three engines before I bought my car.

the 2.5 has its place, if performance isn't your top priority its fine, 200hp is good, BMW has a 200ish HP car, no big deal. But the LTG is muuuccchh quicker than the 2.5, the thing is the torque band in the LTG is much flatter than the 2.5, so it doesn't seem much quicker, but watch that speedo climb.

a guy around my age was at the track with us with a 2.5 and he was WRINGING that car out and could not keep up with me.

Thanks for the input. Based on the "auto owned" of each poster-most owned 2.0-few if any 2.5s. So I didn't think I would get a whole lot of responses. Putting the car in the sports mode helps smooth over some of the rough issues with the engine. Could have gotten same trim level on a 2013 CTS with the standard V-6b for $ 700 less, but looked exactly like the 2008 CTS I traded in and the technology was 5 year old.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

yeah CTS is dated, the 2014 is much better, up to date tech/interior/materials etc.. but more expensive lol, ATS is muuuccchhh better than the outgoing CTS

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    I had the 2.5 for a loaner. It wasn't horrible but it was alright. I tried several 0-60s and couldn't get anything less than 10 seconds.

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by donavo
    I had the 2.5 for a loaner. It wasn't horrible but it was alright. I tried several 0-60s and couldn't get anything less than 10 seconds.
    I rented one for a few days. I found it to be responsive and fun to drive. Car and Driver tested a 2.5 and managed 0-60 in 7.4 seconds. Compared to my Altima (0-60 high 7s per auto mags), I noticed that the 2.5 ATS was a bit quicker. Despite this, it doesn't quite have the effortless acceleration you'd expect from a luxury car. Still, I would not scratch the capable 2.5 off of your list.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck C View Post
    I rented one for a few days. I found it to be responsive and fun to drive. Car and Driver tested a 2.5 and managed 0-60 in 7.4 seconds. Compared to my Altima (0-60 high 7s per auto mags), I noticed that the 2.5 ATS was a bit quicker. Despite this, it doesn't quite have the effortless acceleration you'd expect from a luxury car. Still, I would not scratch the capable 2.5 off of your list.
    There's really no reason the 2.5 Exists at it's price point here in the US. It would make sense in Europe, where all of the tiny little benefits to the 2.5 really add up over there--people would be even happier with a 160-170HP engine in a car of this size infact. Ironically, it's not however.

The 320 and C250 at least have significant price differences between the lower and mid-tier models.

The 2.5 isn't cheap enough vs the 2.0T here, and in standard trim, it sacrifices even more than just the powertrain (read: Brembo brakes). Also, I've never seen a 33K no-frills 2.5 car on the market, they're usually trimd up to luxury with a roof and maybe nav (read $38K car). IE you can't even find them for the very reason it exists; to get in the 33-35K range.

I suppose maybe if you're on the bleeding edge of making financing and your cash-down payment work, and the dealer doesn't have any 2.0T's on the lot trimmed under 40K, but they *do* have this 2.5, and if you don't really care about back roads shenanigans and just want a solid grocery getter, *and* you're looking for something with as little as possible to go wrong, It might make sense.

Otherwise.. ehhhh no. The 250 and 320 have 3-4K price difference separating them from the mid-tier models, more to the point in the case of the merc (I see loads of 250s) It's the only way to get a 30mpg highway Mercedes.

xtheunknown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.5L

I have a 2.5 and I haven't driven the 2.0T yet, so I can't really answer the question. My biggest wants in the car are more features and AWD, so I might be forced to buy a 2.0T to get that. The car is plenty fast enough for me and a joy to drive.

PAO56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 SRX Performance (Red), '13 2.5 Base ATS (Opulent Blue)

I have the 2.5 base model...with CUE as the only option and quite happy with it....its my commuter car so I wasnt really interested in all the upgrades and bells/whistles for either the luxury/performance trims.....read 103 miles round trip a day commute..so averaging 2K miles a month in it.....love the car...just completed the first oil change....getting 30 MPG on average and priced at just under 33K with the purchase in April. Dealer had 2 base models on the lot...and seems to keep 2-3 on the lot on average. Now with that said the road trip family car is a 12 SRX Performance model.....I wouldnt hestiate taking the ATS on a long road trip....

Traded my 09 CTS with 42K and an 11 Subie Outback in on the SRX and my 12 Subie Impreza Limited in on the ATS.

Muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.5 lux

Absolutely not now that I have had this car for 3 months. It's a rough running engine.since then I have tested the turbo and that seems to be some what better.the unfortunate part GM won't let me out of the 2.5 unless I pay about 70 more a month I pay 299.00 for 2.5 if I would have known about the 2.5 I would have gone turbo. But I did not expect that GM cadillac would sell us the 2.5l without informing us to be prepared for how the 2.5l idles and shakes.to me that's shameful and then tell us it is working with in GM specs which drives all of us the shaking owners crazy.i waited 11 years to make a decision on buy another American car or get a KIA. I am highly disappointed in the fact that GM has a CAR OF THE YEAR and that's why I put my faith in this American made car and now we are getting shunned by our own American CEO. Amassing to say the least. SO I SAY AGAIN PLEASE ANYONE READING THIS DO NOT BUY THE 2.5l. Good luck

If you look in the tech section you will find that all the engines shake when idling. There were 182 comments from most having the turbo and v6 engines. So it is not just the 2.5 that has this problem. Mine 2.5 idles rought when it is cold and then as it gets warmed up-seems to be fine. Many people say that their car has actually stalled on him. Mine never has. Obviously it shouldn't shake and idle rough and maybe they will find what causes it. At least you are not alone if that is any comfort.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

4 cylinders have a lot of NVH problems because they're inherently unbalanced designs. Which is why BMW used I6's throughout even their lowest trim products with the E90. Why Audi uses hydro dampers in their I4's and Cadillac uses active dampers in the 2.0T. it doesn't completly solve the problem because the LTG uses a low idle anyway and at times you're reminded it's still a 4cylinder, but it helps certainly.

Complaining about a product you paid $35K for which uses the exact same engine as a $22k Malibu is irony in it's finest.

Absolutely not now that I have had this car for 3 months. It's a rough running engine.since then I have tested the turbo and that seems to be some what better.the unfortunate part GM won't let me out of the 2.5 unless I pay about 70 more a month I pay 299.00 for 2.5 if I would have known about the 2.5 I would have gone turbo. But I did not expect that GM cadillac would sell us the 2.5l without informing us to be prepared for how the 2.5l idles and shakes.to me that's shameful and then tell us it is working with in GM specs which drives all of us the shaking owners crazy.i waited 11 years to make a decision on buy another American car or get a KIA. I am highly disappointed in the fact that GM has a CAR OF THE YEAR and that's why I put my faith in this American made car and now we are getting shunned by our own American CEO. Amassing to say the least. SO I SAY AGAIN PLEASE ANYONE READING THIS DO NOT BUY THE 2.5l. Good luck
    for $70/month, I'd make the switch. $840 a year is chump change.

Thank you felton10. Appreciate your response

----------

Ats cadillac way above a Malibu don't even go there. Not my fault they used the same engine.why I don't do the straight 70 bucks a month more is because a turbo can be had for 299.00 also. So why punish me to pay more when i don't need to

----------

Mine vibrates in park. And shakes in drive at stop lights. Even when at normal operating temp so I not so lucky

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Muffin
    Thank you felton10. Appreciate your response

----------

Ats cadillac way above a Malibu don't even go there. Not my fault they used the same engine.why I don't do the straight 70 bucks a month more is because a turbo can be had for 299.00 also. So why punish me to pay more when i don't need to

----------

Mine vibrates in park. And shakes in drive at stop lights. Even when at normal operating temp so I not so lucky
    Does anyone believe that the type of gas used may have an effect? When reading through other threads, it seems like there's a correlation between gas quality and idle: i.e. high quality gas (top tier gas like Shell) leads to better engine smoothness at idle. I've also read that a performance tune may eliminate the issue.

Sorry sir tried that. Still same issue. Thanks. O and also someone on this forum say after first oil change it was better.well oil changed on July 17 2013. And tires rotated and did not change a thing about the 2.5l still hoping

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.