New ATS owner, one month in
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, New ATS owner, one month in in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Traded in my ailing 1999 Bonneville SE w/ 138k miles on it for this 3.6L AWD Performance ATS w/ sunroof/cold ...
    thereddog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance

New ATS owner, one month in

Traded in my ailing 1999 Bonneville SE w/ 138k miles on it for this 3.6L AWD Performance ATS w/ sunroof/cold weather package/18" wheels/navigation

Could not be happier. This car was a "demo" model that had 5100 miles on it from the dealers wife driving it. Car is in great shape and I saved a few bucks in the process.

Odometer now reads 7341 miles, happy to be here
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: New ATS owner, one month in

Hello and welcome! Nice car, nice color, and nice wheels! And I am hoping you have saved more than "a few bucks in the process!"

thereddog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance

Thanks!

Also, I just wanted to mention that I work for GM at the Tonawanda Powertrain location in Buffalo. I'm an Electrical Group Leader for the Gen V (4.6 V6, 5.3/6.2 V8) engine line but also worked LGE (2.5/2.0T) last year. So if anyone has questions, I might be able to answer. My concentration is maintenance though, so most of my knowledge deals with CNC machines and robot automation.

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by thereddog View Post
    Thanks!

I'm an Electrical Group Leader for the Gen V (4.6 V6, 5.3/6.2 V8) engine line but also worked LGE (2.5/2.0T) last year. So if anyone has questions, I might be able to answer. My concentration is maintenance though, so most of my knowledge deals with CNC machines and robot automation.
    Welcome and enjoy your ATS. Is the 5.3 suposed to consume oil? Of course the cunsumption is within "GM tolerance" but a quart ever 2k in my Trollblazer seems unusual.

tonka9 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 4 Premium 3.6

Nice car thereddog. I'm sure it has to be a bit of future shock to go from your '99 Bonney to the new ATS!
    When I hear of Tonawanda I can't help but think of my brother's 1969 Camaro SS 396 350 HP that he bought new. It had giant chrome valve covers displaying a sticker that
    said Built by Chevrolet Tonawanda.
    Enjoy your new car!

ATSturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Its a great car I would say better than my last one for sure and I had a bmw before

Muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.5 lux

Ok ? Why does the 2.5 l engine. Vibrate and shake. At a stop lite or idle. Other than that smooth. Could you please provide us a reason. Thanks

----------

Please can you address the 2.5 engine question. Lol I have a 1957 v8 yellow engine from tonawanda plant and is still running smooth 3 on the tree.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Ok ? Why does the 2.5 l engine. Vibrate and shake. At a stop lite or idle. Other than that smooth. Could you please provide us a reason. Thanks
    A few of all the ATS engines shake too much at idle. And the same for other brands' direct injection engines. It seems to be the nature of the beast. At least one manufacturer added small port injectors to solve the problem.

I also think some owners complain when the car is really ok. They just wanted or expected the car to be smoother or noticed it isn't as smooth as it used to be but may still be within the specs for the car.

I suspect the reason some engines idle too roughly while identical engines don't is the programing is just not compatible with tiny variations in production tolerances because they are trying so hard to increase mileage and cut emissions. People who have their car tuned for better performance (I'm not aware of any for the 2.5), invariably say the roughness is gone if they had the problem before. That's why I think the automakers are just playing things too tight. The automakers may even be in a bind regarding regulation if they make a change they know impacts emissions or mileage in a negative way AFTER the cars have been certified.

It's been disturbing for me to see how many of the cars with the problem haven't been fixed. Some rough running 2.0Ts were due to factory assembly problems and those did get fixed but the ones that don't fall into that category don't seen to get fixed, at least so far. If they are, I don't remember anyone who posted they had the problem ever post it was fixed.

Some owners report their dealers (and Cadillac) tell them their cars are performing per spec based on computer data but that is disingenuous. There are no sensors in the car that measure vibration in the contact points between driver and car. You can bet the engineers had goals for that and did have sensors in test cars to make sure they met them. If they don't come up with a magic bullet software fix, I think they need to put those types of sensors into cars that owners and dealers agree shake too much and take special action for ones that don't meet the design goals. If they can't legally fix the programing or can't maintain special programing for different cars, maybe they can replace whatever parts make that car just a bit more than the programming can handle.

Thank you very very very much for that explanation daddy now I wish GM would respect your input so we can put this issue to bed and move on with a top notch car. I appreciate and respect your feedback

JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
    Thank you very very very much for that explanation daddy now I wish GM would respect your input so we can put this issue to bed and move on with a top notch car. I appreciate and respect your feedback
    Don't give up Muffin there are many people who work for Cadillac and GM who care about us. The number one most important person is a good dealer that will stand by you. Either your dealer will help you or go find one that will. Without dealer support you will get nowhere.

I hear you thanks 2 dealers so far no help at all especially the one who said cant help you car is not defective it's the nature of the beast he told me.then he said his usual sorry and said its your car we can't help you All I want is to get out of this and upgrade to a turbo. But nope no help. Thanks for the encouragement

----------

Hey I really like the car otherwise. But if GM keeps pushing me away I will not go for the turbo I will just get my other vendor car. And be not quite as happy but at least I know the engine in other vendor car is smooth and reliable.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.