2.0T Ats Vs Cts 3.6 2013 - Page 5
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree21Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, 2.0T Ats Vs Cts 3.6 2013 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Just didn't see the correlation between 2.4 and thread comparison 2.0T ATS VS 3.6 CTS....
    Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Re: 2.0T Ats Vs Cts 3.6 2013

Just didn't see the correlation between 2.4 and thread comparison 2.0T ATS VS 3.6 CTS.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    Just didn't see the correlation between 2.4 and thread comparison 2.0T ATS VS 3.6 CTS.

Just replying to your LOL

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    .... That said, NO car should force you to take your eyes off the road as long as all of these infotainment systems are on cars like this. It would be a helluva lot easier if I could look ahead and feel a BUTTON to change whatever it is want to change. Instead with CUE, and all systems like it, you are forced to look down for 2-4 seconds to figure out what you want to change. If you didn't know 2 seconds is an eternity in a potential crash situation. I understand why carmakers are doing this because people are used to touchscreen technology. It just doesn't belong in cars. Florida just passed an anti-texting law (like a lot of states) and to me these consoles are just as distracting, even after I got used to it. Sorry to ramble about that but hopefully the first part of my answer, assisted in answering your original question.
    That's the point of CUE...almost every function of CUE and the infotainment system can be controlled by the buttons on the steering wheel or through the Siri type commands.....very seldom do you really have to manually fuss with the screen....with practice you CAN control volume, program and song changes, etc through CUE command and buttons. Having HUD, I don't even have to glance down at the CUE if I don't want to. A regular dial and knob radio forces you to fiddle around and take you eyes off the road. If anything, CUE has made it a lot safer.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Lol. 27 hp and 17lbtq. ..good one..LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    What ever you say 2.4 Ecotec with madmabb header & zzp 2.5" catted downpipe
    Explain what? The ecotec 2.4 is an NA engine that GM used in the Cobalts, G5GT, HHR, Sky,Solstice, Malibu and whatever else.
    I think he was laughing at 27 HP from a tune. You say the 27 HP you mentioned were with headers and other hardware changes in addition to the tune. Apples and oranges.

You just won't get much HP from the 3.6 with a tune. It already requires 91 octane, so you can't even get the typical tune increases from timing and bumping octane from 87.

As mentioned, it may feel like there were big HP improvements but that's a combination of wishful thinking, throttle response and automatic transmission programming tweaks. It's pretty standard for tuners (and some auto makers) to simply increase the amount of throttle opening for a given pedal movement. So, yeah, if you get a tune and give it quarter throttle and the car takes off like it did before with half throttle its easy to be fooled into thinking it has more HP.

Don't misunderstand. I think a tune may be worth the cost for a NA engine (and pretty much mandatory if you make hardware changes), particularly if it regprograms the automatic transmission. I just don't think a tune by itself buys much HP for a NA engine.
    hauler likes this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy

I think he was laughing at 27 HP from a tune. You say the 27 HP you mentioned were with headers and other hardware changes in addition to the tune. Apples and oranges.

You just won't get much HP from the 3.6 with a tune. It already requires 91 octane, so you can't even get the typical tune increases from timing and bumping octane from 87.

As mentioned, it may feel like there were big HP improvements but that's a combination of wishful thinking, throttle response and automatic transmission programming tweaks. It's pretty standard for tuners (and some auto makers) to simply increase the amount of throttle opening for a given pedal movement. So, yeah, if you get a tune and give it quarter throttle and the car takes off like it did before with half throttle its easy to be fooled into thinking it has more HP.
    Does the 3.6 in the ATS require 91 octane? I thought only the 2.0T did. The 3.6L In the CTS does not require premium.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Does the 3.6 in the ATS require 91 octane? I thought only the 2.0T did. The 3.6L In the CTS does not require premium.
    Sorry. You're right that the 3.6 does not require 91 although the HP rating is likely based on it leaving not much to be gained with timing with gasoline. But since the 3.6 is flex-fuel if the injectors are big enough you could get a bit more HP with a E85 tune since E85 is effectively very high octane.

No, the 2.0T does not require 91 octane either although it is recommended.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Sorry. You're right that the 3.6 does not require 91 although the HP rating is likely based on it leaving not much to be gained with timing with gasoline. But since the 3.6 is flex-fuel if the injectors are big enough you could get a bit more HP with a E85 tune since E85 is effectively very high octane.

No, the 2.0T does not require 91 octane either although it is recommended.
    not all LFX engines are Flex Fuel.

any modern engine with knock sensors can run 87

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

A bit of cool info:

A client of mine works at the Milford Proving Grounds and is a powertrain engineer (I think that's his job title?). Anyway, I asked him if the ATS 3.6L was SAE tested using premium, and he told me it was tested on 87 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    not all LFX engines are Flex Fuel.

any modern engine with knock sensors can run 87
    My ATS 3.6L is Flex-Fuel capable, but I've never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    A bit of cool info:

A client of mine works at the Milford Proving Grounds and is a powertrain engineer (I think that's his job title?). Anyway, I asked him if the ATS 3.6L was SAE tested using premium, and he told me it was tested on 87 octane.
    My ATS 3.6L is Flex-Fuel capable, but I've never used it.
    The fuel they use also doesn't have the 10% ethanol mix, Same goes with fuel for their mileage testing.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Only running 94 . We have she'll V power 0 ethanol i just find my blown cars prefer to drink 94 only.
    It's better to run higher octane with Ethanol in turbo engines because ethanol has a cooler combustion
    Temperature therfore reducing instances of knock under heavy load avoiding loss of power from timing
    Being pulled.

ben.gators is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

What ever you say 2.4 Ecotec with madmabb header & zzp 2.5" catted downpipe
    That's what we have been trying to say! Just a tune, and by tune I mean the software update itself WITHOUT any mechanical change or upgrade, it would be very hard to get any considerable amount of extra HP or tq increase from a NA engine! In your case, you mechanically changed the engine too, and after all of that you got 27 hp and 17lbtq.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

The fuel they use also doesn't have the 10% ethanol mix, Same goes with fuel for their mileage testing.
    Doesn't ethanol create more power than gasoline when used in an engine? IIRC, E85 yields better power than regular gasoline, but worse FE since it burns faster.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    Doesn't ethanol create more power than gasoline when used in an engine? IIRC, E85 yields better power than regular gasoline, but worse FE since it burns faster.
    Ethanol has a higher detonation resistance than Gasoline, but it is less power dense.

IE. 87 E10 isn't actually 87 Gas, it's more like 84-85, which when blended with 10% Ethanol(which is 113), produces a blend that has a AKI of 87.

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    That's what we have been trying to say! Just a tune, and by tune I mean the software update itself WITHOUT any mechanical change or upgrade, it would be very hard to get any considerable amount of extra HP or tq increase from a NA engine! In your case, you mechanically changed the engine too, and after all of that you got 27 hp and 17lbtq.
    Quote Originally Posted by BNRacing View Post
    The LFX tune we have produces around 25-30HP/TQ. I don't have any ATS 3.6 dyno sheets but I have CTS 3.6 LFX sheets if you want to see them.

Other than that I am going to stay out of this conversation.
    EnvoyBu likes this.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    That's the point of CUE...almost every function of CUE and the infotainment system can be controlled by the buttons on the steering wheel or through the Siri type commands.....very seldom do you really have to manually fuss with the screen....with practice you CAN control volume, program and song changes, etc through CUE command and buttons. Having HUD, I don't even have to glance down at the CUE if I don't want to. A regular dial and knob radio forces you to fiddle around and take you eyes off the road. If anything, CUE has made it a lot safer.
    I'm gonna have to disagree with this one, maybe not the thread for this, but oh well. Voice commands can tune the radio, but in a PAINFUL and SLOW way. If you care about tuning the radio and browsing through a lot of stations, CUE sucks. (If you don't tune much, it doesn't matter, so I can appreciate that point of view.) Ford is bringing back the radio knobs to MyFord Touch after the disastrous market response of taking them away. Here's hoping GM follows suit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.