Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone use the sports mode and if so how often

23K views 47 replies 28 participants last post by  Dave3283 
#1 ·
Had the sports mode on my 1997 Catera (sympathies accepted). Found it made the car seem much more peppy. So when I saw it on my 2013 ATS, I wanted to try it out right away. Because I have the 2.5 engine, found the sports mode made acceleration especially on the interstate much less choppy and more controlled and even.

Wish I could leave it in the sports mode all the time because I think the car drives better in sport mode. Hopefully that won't cause any future problems. Because it holds the car in gear much longer-car seems more responsive and powerful.

Anyone else have any experience with the sports mode or any comments?

#5 ·
i honestly cant even feel the difference in steering with my manual 2.0T. i leave sport mode off at all times unless im doing curvy roads or canyons. then i turn it on but the only reason i turn it on is for me to mentally think the car is in sport mode....cus if i put an index card on my dash, hiding the sport mode indicator, i dont think ill ever tell when its on or off....lol.

#6 ·
it does work, one day my wife was driving and i snuck sport mode on and she immediately asked "what did you do? the steering got stiffer"

thats why when the app store hits CUE i'm hoping to see a gran turismo style tuning app, that would have sliders for steering, throttle response, transmission shift speed, level of stabilitrak, etc assigned to sport mode. My friends 2013 m5 does this, its really cool, its really wild how it goes from docile to violent depending on the settings.

#9 ·
iv'e only had it 4 days now and have put it in sports mode almost every time i start up. Still waiting for the rev match magic. That said I haven't driven extra hard yet...still, II would have expected to feel it on some hard braking on a downhill curving off-ramp (that used to trigger it on my Infiniti G35). does anyone know if there s a speed threshold or maybe a tranny learning curve as it adapts to the driver?

#12 ·
Steering, suspension, and transmission change in Sport Mode.

• If you do not have MRC, the suspension does not change.
  • If you do not have automatic transmission, the transmission does not change.

Steering adjustment is subtle - it is more noticeable on highway driving then on city streets.

I would almost argue that the steering in Sports Mode should have been the default, and that even stiffer steering could be added on top of it, especially at higher speeds.

As to the automatic transmission, the Sports Mode also requires a heavy foot. Without a heavy foot, you'll hardly notice the difference. But with a heavy foot you'll notice the car('s auto-transmission) becoming a lot more intelligent and guessing (correctly, mostly) what it is you are trying to do - the algorithm includes centrifugal force sensors, so it 'knows' whether you are cornering or straight-lining.

Suspension (MRC) adjustment in Sport Mode seems to be 'track mode'. I think that the engineers should have added three settings: Touring, Sports and Track mode. Touring is default, Sport changes steering and transmission, and Track adds suspension changes.

My understanding is that the 'Sport Mode' for the MRC suspension is ok on good roads (or track), but can yield a harsh ride on rough roads.

For those that have non-MRC suspension, the Sports Mode should be the default. It hardly changes the mpg results, but makes the car more lively and sporty.

As far as the original question, I always drive in Sports Mode. Strangely, on my car, this is a single button push, whereas on the Premium it requires two button pushes.

#16 ·
Got to say, blue_skies, that your explanation of sport mode is well appreciated, especially how you differentiated AT and MT equipped cars. Furthermore, I definitely agree that SM should be the default drive mode. Although SM doesn't do anything to the Lux 2.0T suspension, tightening up the steering wheel and holding gears, all WITHOUT really decreasing mpg (unless one gets carried away with a heavy foot...which is quite possible) - I have noted maybe, at most, a 1 mpg decrease, does bring the ATS a little bit closer (but still not nearly as good as) to BMW E46 road feel/handling characteristics.

#13 ·
I use the sport mode daily in my automatic FE2-suspension ATS. The transmission is terrible in touring mode. Touring mode should not exist. On the other hand, it's great in sport mode. I have to think the car would have gotten better reviews if GM had only made the default transmission mode behave more like sport mode. GM, please allow us to make sport mode the default in our cars.

#14 ·
My understanding is that the 'Sport Mode' for the MRC suspension is ok on good roads (or track), but can yield a harsh ride on rough roads..
Which is why in pothold laiden Hampton roads, I leave it in touring. In Sport, I'll bang my head on the headliner.

I use the sport mode daily in my automatic FE2-suspension ATS. The transmission is terrible in touring mode. Touring mode should not exist.
No, it needs to exist. I do not want a trans rev-matching mid corner when Cadillac's like that which might upset the car or when I'm shuffling people around.

G
#15 ·
I have an automatic, which does not change AT ALL from touring to sport. My dealer said that it’s working but that’s BS. No PAL, no rev-matching downshift on hard braking or cornering, no holding revs longer. I feel the change in steering feel but that’s it.

Can anyone point me to “official” GM or Cadillac documentation that I can use as ammunition against my dealer? Thanks. Bert

#17 ·
Then you are just not driving aggressively enough. I can definitely notice both the stiffer steering AND transmission change in sport mode. I use it frequently. The only time I leave it in touring mode is when I am on the highway and there is no traffic and I'm going a long distance.

G
#18 ·
Then you are just not driving aggressively enough.
I do drive aggressively whenever I try to get anything out of sport mode. I’ve even data-logged acceleration runs in back-to-back sport and touring using Torque Pro. Graphs don’t lie. No difference. Hard cornering? No PAL. It’s never downshifted on hard braking and/or turning no matter how fast or deep I go into a curve. Six-thousand miles now and it’s infuriating. Bert

#20 ·
I do drive aggressively whenever I try to get anything out of sport mode. I’ve even data-logged acceleration runs in back-to-back sport and touring using Torque Pro. Graphs don’t lie. No difference. Hard cornering? No PAL. It’s never downshifted on hard braking and/or turning no matter how fast or deep I go into a curve. Six-thousand miles now and it’s infuriating. Bert
I have to say, in a very short drive I tried to see if I could get all of the trans stuff to work.

No dice, it may be that I just wasn't attacking it hard enough, given that the trans did seem to wakeup on acceleration and was more eager to downshift, but going through a 90 degree at nearly 35-40mph should have produced some results.

The reason for this seems to be in the way PAL is described in a GM press release.
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...t/Pages/news/us/en/2012/Dec/1220-ats-pal.html

When the ATS is in the driver selected “Sport” suspension mode and begins negotiating curves with sufficient cornering lateral force, the transmission computer commands downshifts to ensure the right gear is readily available. The lower gears aid in both braking into and maintaining control through the turn, and then accelerating out of the corner.

With continued high-throttle driving and aggressive braking, the transmission will maintain the lower gears to assist in acceleration and in preparing for the next corner. When more moderate driving conditions are detected – lower acceleration and cornering – the transmission will upshift sequentially through the gears, and exit PAL mode.
it appears that the system possibly won't engage with a single corner, but requires multiple corners for the trans to identify that spirited driving is taking place and being the PAL mode.

Although clearly, people have had results immediately.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...8-pal-ats-performance-algorithm-liftfoot.html

#19 ·
i had a 2.5 as a loaner that was automatic (they gave it with like 30 miles on it, so i was the main "trainer" for the tranny, and i drove it HARD). sport mode just held the gear longer. i didnt have it downshift for me unless i suddenly went from gently applying the accelerator to a complete floored state. and i dont know how you guys notice the steering wheel get stiffer at all....i swear i cant tell.

#21 ·
I'll tell you what I did notice on my AWD auto in sports mode: 1. Steering definitely stiffens (though it somewhat subtle; but you definitely feel it...not as much play) and 2. Transmission ratio and shift changes are apparent; especially when you slow down....can feel the gears downshifting differently....don't have to brake as much.

#22 ·
Same here; I use the Sport Mode quite frequently on trips around town, less so on longer highway trips. I really do like the increased feeling in the steering and the transmission shift points. As my AWD Premium does not have
the Magnetic Suspension, this does not change, of course.

G
#24 ·
I think I may have experienced 4 second of altered trans logic while in sport mode Wednesday. I drove about 10 miles on the highway then took a back road for testing. After about 2 miles of WOT acceleration and hard braking I felt lt hold a gear longer at 3/4 throttle before shifting up. There was still no PAL. I lifted and the trans shifted immediately into 6th. Does anyone know if the system's controller is purely software or if there are physical accelerometers? Bert

#25 ·
It's a mixture of both, there's software to monitor throttle braking and speed, and then a few accelerometer's .

It was easy to get my 6L90E V to shift into the performance trans logic, but the ATS has much higher limits, and I suspect they tried to adjust it for that. I will say, that even with the 6L45E not shifting like it should, I didn't find myself in the wrong gear for long. This car shifts DCT quick. It just wasn't very satisfying, and even in an autocross environment, you usually just stick it in 2nd gear and leave it alone.

#27 ·
I apologize if this is the wrong forum - but my question is the same. My 2012 SRX Premium Model has an ECO button. Is this the same as the two modes in the ATS? The owners manual really doesn't explain what the ECO button does - or does not do. I have tried both ways and really can not tell what the difference is. On my Benz - all that button seems to do is just change the car to start in 2nd gear rather than first. Appreciate any input and recommendations on what mode to use as default.

#28 ·
Hello bobkat48,

When the economy mode is engaged, the transmission will upshift sooner, and downshift later, the torque converter will lock up sooner, and stay on longer, the gas pedal will be less sensitive, the vehicle's computers will more aggressively shut off fuel to the engine under deceleration and the engine operates at lower rpm's in fuel economy mode, which can increase noise and vibration; this is normal. Use sport mode where road conditions or personal preference demand more control. This setting provides more “feel,” or response to road conditions through increased steering effort and suspension control. Transmission shift points and shift firmness are also enhanced. I hope this helps! I can be reached via private message to further discuss any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#29 ·
I was not too happy with how the car handled on the highway at high speeds. There are some hills and curves on our highways here, and it felt as if the front of the car wanted to "push" out instead of take the curves. So, I decided to hit the button for sports mode. It really made a big difference. It handles so much better now! I am not going back to the other modes. By the way, on my 2014 if I turn the car off in sports mode, it stays in sports mode the next time I start it up.

#30 ·
I bought a new 2011 SRX with the downsized 3.0 engine and after several trips to the dealer after experiencing noticeable lag during acceleration I was advised to use the sport mode to decrease the pause between shifts. After several times using Sport mode I have noticed smoother shifts during acceleration and have come to depend on the sport mode especially when I need that extra burst on highways

#34 ·
yes sport mode is persistent on the '14's i got into a new one the other day and when i turned on the car sport mode was already active, and i too want this in my '13.....maybe an update to the tune, and while in the cars brain activate competitive mode for us non MRC folks....do that and i will get the wifes approval to buy the tune

#32 ·
I used sport mode in my 2008 535i exclusively. It was a very noticeable difference in steering and suspension. When I bought the ATS, I used the sport mode a lot. Problem is that I drive mostly hwy miles to and from work (70 miles total/day). During hwy driving, the car feels extremely bouncy in sport mode, whereas touring rides much smoother. I prefer more agressive sporty driving, but can't handle how bouncy the car is on the hwy in sport mode. Anyone else feel this on the hwy? I'm curious to know...

#41 ·
It 100% works. The thing is you need to drive the car more aggressive then you would normally. I have a 2013 ats 3.6. and I get on the car at times. It typically works when you are whipping around a turn (on ramp to highway) then once you get straightened out the car will hold at a MUCH higher rpm, which allowing you to take off like superman... Try and but be CAREFUL. You need to feather the gas a little....

#42 ·
Ok, Could be me and I'm goo with that. Had first oil change and tire rotation. There was an hvac update. Maybe as a result of a soft re-boot or something, but my sport mode is different. Steering is more responsive, first attributed to tire rotation. But I'm sure PAL is activating sooner. Maybe the system is relearning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.