Anyone use the sports mode and if so how often - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Anyone use the sports mode and if so how often in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Can anyone else with a 2014 ATS confirm that that car stays in the sports mode when turn it on ...
    Felton10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 luxury

Re: Anyone use the sports mode and if so how often

Can anyone else with a 2014 ATS confirm that that car stays in the sports mode when turn it on if it was in that mode when you last turned it off. If so, wonder if there is any way to program that feature into the 2013 models.

Lone Star Blue is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS

I used sport mode in my 2008 535i exclusively. It was a very noticeable difference in steering and suspension. When I bought the ATS, I used the sport mode a lot. Problem is that I drive mostly hwy miles to and from work (70 miles total/day). During hwy driving, the car feels extremely bouncy in sport mode, whereas touring rides much smoother. I prefer more agressive sporty driving, but can't handle how bouncy the car is on the hwy in sport mode. Anyone else feel this on the hwy? I'm curious to know...
    Jones atsnh likes this.

Yplus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS4 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    So i really tried to hammer it today,

I did, on one ocassion, get a PAL sequence, but I had to be pulling very nearly 1G.

The PAS and PAL in this car are set to trigger in near track conditions I would say. There's nothing really in my area that's going to be tight enough to get the performance shifting to trigger except maybe pungo at the autocross course.
    It will definitely trigger PAL if you pull a high g force in sport mode. There's a long decreasing radius right turn that I know well and if I take it fast enough, it will get the downshift in for me as the turn tightens up, even without touching the brake. Keep in mind that the passenger in the car at the time had to hold on to door handle most of the turn, so yes you do need to be driving quickly...

You guys just aren't driving fast enough! Not quite track conditions, but pretty close. If a cop saw you just as PAL was activated, you'd probably be a candidate for a ticket...

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by Felton10 View Post
    Can anyone else with a 2014 ATS confirm that that car stays in the sports mode when turn it on if it was in that mode when you last turned it off. If so, wonder if there is any way to program that feature into the 2013 models.
    yes sport mode is persistent on the '14's i got into a new one the other day and when i turned on the car sport mode was already active, and i too want this in my '13.....maybe an update to the tune, and while in the cars brain activate competitive mode for us non MRC folks....do that and i will get the wifes approval to buy the tune

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    It will definitely trigger PAL if you pull a high g force in sport mode.
    Mine definitely does not trigger PAL. I can hit a curve with tires squealing and my POS trans jumps into 6th as soon as I lift and stays there long enough to blow a head gasket; mine, not the car's. Bert

ATS Toronto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Luxury RWD + Nav/18's/Awareness

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha D Blues View Post
    Mine definitely does not trigger PAL. I can hit a curve with tires squealing and my POS trans jumps into 6th as soon as I lift and stays there long enough to blow a head gasket; mine, not the car's. Bert
    Had it happen today. Was going southbound on a city street at 60 kilometres/hour and took ramp to connect with major highway eastbound. So basically a 270 degree curve. Hit the ramp at 60 kph and accelerated hard all the way around the curved ramp until it straightened out in the merge lane and I was at about 120 kph on the straight and then backed off (lift foot) as the onramp was ending and needed to merge in. Transmission held the revs high for about 3 seconds, as if it waiting for the next turn or acceleration, then it settled back down as it 'realized' that i was just cruising to merge. Very cool. My '07 G35 used to do the same on the exact same ramp so I wanted to try it (I think the G was one of the first to have this kind of intelligent auto). I did note that it took slightly harder acceleration and cornering to trigger the ATS PAL on this ramp, and that the ATS seemed to back off a bit sooner than I remember the G doing. Nevertheless, it was cool to feel it again...and 'prove' that it happens. I also remember than the G35 seemed to have a learning algorithm and that the more I did certain moves over the course of the first few months, the more often and consistently it matched. I hope the ATS transmission does the same. What a fun afternoon. I admit to getting off at the next exit and turning around to go back and do the same ramp again. Pushed it harder around the curve (amazing how this thing sticks and goes where you point it), and bingo, same thing...and it seemed to drop a gear sooner, and then hold the gear longer...though that might have been me now looking for it.

ATSturbo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium

Its sport mode only for me the first thing I do when I turn the car on

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Yplus View Post
    It will definitely trigger PAL if you pull a high g force in sport mode. There's a long decreasing radius right turn that I know well and if I take it fast enough, it will get the downshift in for me as the turn tightens up, even without touching the brake. Keep in mind that the passenger in the car at the time had to hold on to door handle most of the turn, so yes you do need to be driving quickly...

You guys just aren't driving fast enough! Not quite track conditions, but pretty close. If a cop saw you just as PAL was activated, you'd probably be a candidate for a ticket...
    That's about what it takes, I might like that on an autocross course, but it's slightly disappointing that I can't enjoy the feature without being labeled a psycho.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    That's about what it takes, I might like that on an autocross course, but it's slightly disappointing that I can't enjoy the feature without being labeled a psycho.
    Being labeled a psycho is a bad thing?

I hate it every time I find out my parents lied.

Muffin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Ats 2.5 lux

I really like the sport mode I try to remember to push the button right after i start the car. But have a senior moment once in awhile

Steve247 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6
    It 100% works. The thing is you need to drive the car more aggressive then you would normally. I have a 2013 ats 3.6. and I get on the car at times. It typically works when you are whipping around a turn (on ramp to highway) then once you get straightened out the car will hold at a MUCH higher rpm, which allowing you to take off like superman... Try and but be CAREFUL. You need to feather the gas a little....

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    Ok, Could be me and I'm goo with that. Had first oil change and tire rotation. There was an hvac update. Maybe as a result of a soft re-boot or something, but my sport mode is different. Steering is more responsive, first attributed to tire rotation. But I'm sure PAL is activating sooner. Maybe the system is relearning.

ATSigma is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve247
    It 100% works. The thing is you need to drive the car more aggressive then you would normally. I have a 2013 ats 3.6. and I get on the car at times. It typically works when you are whipping around a turn (on ramp to highway) then once you get straightened out the car will hold at a MUCH higher rpm, which allowing you to take off like superman... Try and but be CAREFUL. You need to feather the gas a little....
    I've pushed the Sport Mode button many times and I cannot notice any change at all. I'm still getting used to the car though.

I'm not really aggressive when it comes to driving so perhaps I'll give it a try and see if I notice any difference. I have a 2L Turbo so maybe it will be a different experience. I would really like the car to take off like Superman; love that feeling!

glenroebuck is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 AWD 2013

I have a lux awd 2.0l T - So what does the sport mode do?

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by glenroebuck View Post
    I have a lux awd 2.0l T - So what does the sport mode do?
    there was just like 3 pages on what it does...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.