A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek....
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek.... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; His comments about the engine sound and CUE ring so true, but overall he sees beyond that and gives it ...
    mbk2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 2.0T Premium

A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek....

His comments about the engine sound and CUE ring so true, but overall he sees beyond that and gives it the nod over a 335i M-Sport !

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...n=awdailydrive

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

KXAM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek....

Well, we drove all three versions and most assuredly did not care for either of the 4 bangers! And yes, I have to admit I do not care for turbo charged cars. I barely can tolerate a V6 but that is because I have most always driven big American V8's and have a C6 6spd manual as my DD. The Caddy V6 is in my opinion, enough to get this smallish Caddy around more than adequately. Will most likely also deliver decent mileage and then again, the ATS is my gf's daily driver. GF was unimpressed with the 4's and she really made them work on our tests drives. The noise about drove her nuts, that's why we went with the V6.

cbutcho is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS

I agree with the article, the sound of this exhaust system is lame!!! Wondering how GM could let it go as it ruins the driving experience to my taste. Sad because it is a great responsive and powerfull engine but the sound makes you feel like the engine is suffering and ratteling which is obviously not the case. Is it possible that the 3 engines share the same exhaust system and that it was originally designed and tuned for the V6 so that it does not match the 2.0T??????

73JPS is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

I don't have a problem with the sound of this car, but I've always driven high-revving 4 cylinders, or engines that require a certain amount of "thrashing" to get power. For me, this engine note is just fine: quiet when it's not being pushed, and there when you press it. Personal opinion, I guess.

It is quite interesting to note, however, how much of what is criticized about this car was done intentionally, http://www.esquire.com/features/cars...s-specs-1012-2 , including the exhaust note (scroll down to the paragraph starting with "Kyle Stanforth...")

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    I don't have a problem with the sound of this car, but I've always driven high-revving 4 cylinders, or engines that require a certain amount of "thrashing" to get power. For me, this engine note is just fine: quiet when it's not being pushed, and there when you press it. Personal opinion, I guess.

It is quite interesting to note, however, how much of what is criticized about this car was done intentionally, http://www.esquire.com/features/cars...s-specs-1012-2 , including the exhaust note (scroll down to the paragraph starting with "Kyle Stanforth...")
    It's not so much volume or decibles, rather tone.

This engine sounds like a chainsaw dragging against unoiled cogs. The induction noise (if you can call it that) is horrible, tinny, and just wrong. There's no turbo spooling sound even. So you're just left with a whole lot of disappointment.

Exhaust noise from outside is great, but listening to the engine from inside, it's just not very good.

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

While the exhaust note is not strong or melodious in the 2.0 turbo, it rarely is in 4 cylinder turbos. Listen to the blatty sound of some World Rally Cars. On the other hand, if you ever want to hear an awesome 2.0 turbo sound, find the video of Ari Vatanen doing the Pikes Peak Hillclimb in Peugeot group 6 car in 1989. That video will blow your sox off because of the sheer excitement of blasting sideways up the dirt road (now completely paved), and the engine sounded heroic. Regarding the ATS, at least it is not a phony, piped in sound like the Focus ST. I think it's got a good "edge" to the sound under hard acceleration. The Autoweek reviewer grossly overstated his description of the engine sound and characteristics, but that's a journalist for you, paid to sensationalize at the expense of an accurate description.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by miguelius View Post
    While the exhaust note is not strong or melodious in the 2.0 turbo, it rarely is in 4 cylinder turbos.
    Who needs melodious? just give me the 1300 HP of a good 1.5 litre turbo 4:

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    It's not so much volume or decibles, rather tone.

This engine sounds like a chainsaw dragging against unoiled cogs. The induction noise (if you can call it that) is horrible, tinny, and just wrong. There's no turbo spooling sound even. So you're just left with a whole lot of disappointment.

Exhaust noise from outside is great, but listening to the engine from inside, it's just not very good.
    I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with you on this. I don't really recall making any discriminating statements regarding "volume" or "decibels", nor does the referenced article for which I provided the link; having said that, I seem to be in the minority with respect to my opinion on the tone of this exhaust, so I'll just have to say "whatever", shrug, and move on.

miguelius is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver ATS Performance 2.0T manual

I'm with you, 73JPS. I don't think it sounds "thrashy" at all. Hey, get used to the concept, Autoweek (and some other naysayers in the automotive press); it's a 4 cylinder engine in a Cadillac, and it is the engine best suited to the ATS's character. The old Pinto based SOHC engine in the Merkur and Mustang SVO, now that was thrashy (but still cool). Man, does that Bimmer Megatron F1 engine sound mean, though, especially when moving under load. Another epic sounding turbo 4 was the Toyota GTP car in IMSA racing from the 1990s, which was also in Rod Millen's record-breaking Pikes Peak Hillclimb cars, all of which I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing. Any way you cut it, 700 or so HP out of 2 liters (well, 2.1, I think, in the Toyota) sounds awesome!

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by miguelius View Post
    Another epic sounding turbo 4 was the Toyota GTP car in IMSA racing from the 1990s, which was also in Rod Millen's record-breaking Pikes Peak Hillclimb cars, all of which I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing.
    Oh YEAH. I forgot about those.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I don't really recall making any discriminating statements regarding "volume" or "decibels"
    Probably because you confused 'audibility' for tone, and I had to guess what you meant based on your contextual use of adjectives describing noise.

For me, this engine note is just fine:quiet when it's not being pushed, and there when you press it.
    Whatever indeed.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

The 2.0 turbo engine noise is fine with me I find the road noise more annoying in the ATS
    73JPS likes this.

Probably because you confused 'audibility' for tone, and I had to guess what you meant based on your contextual use of adjectives describing noise.
    No, I'm pretty sure I knew what I was writing when I used the term "tone", although in point of fact I did not use that term in my initial post in this thread, the one to which you were responding: is it possible you confused "tone" with "note"? The latter is actually quite commonly used to describe the overall level of aural satisfaction with regards to a vehicle's exhaust, and requires little interpretation of the contextual use of adjectives.

This engine sounds like a chainsaw dragging against unoiled cogs.
    Overwrought and exaggerated statements tend to diminish the credibility of opinions.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have read his comment! The truth is he is right, and now whenever I push the gas, the engine sound reminds me of blender! But again, many 2.0L turbo engines sound terrible; it is not just the ATS!

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have read his comment! The truth is he is right, and now whenever I push the gas, the engine sound reminds me of blender! But again, many 2.0L turbo engines sound terrible; it is not just the ATS!
    Yikes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.