A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek.... - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek.... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by ben.gators Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have ...
    Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators
    Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have read his comment! The truth is he is right, and now whenever I push the gas, the engine sound reminds me of blender! But again, many 2.0L turbo engines sound terrible; it is not just the ATS!
    You're right, but a bit more pleasing exhaust tone could be achieved.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: A dead on (in my humble opinion) review of the ATS 2.0T by Autoweek....

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Blimey... now correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpret your comment as follows: "The sound of my ATS didn't intrude negatively into my consciousness until I read someone's internet post... now I find the sound of my ATS objectionable (though it didn't bother me before); but that's okay, because lots of 2.0L turbo cars sound terrible."

People complaining in exaggerated terms about the exhaust note of this car: did none of you drive crappy 4 cylinders during your youth? Or are you currently still too much in your youth to know the difference?

Crap: I'm probably too OLD to HEAR the difference
    1- I wasn't a big fan of engine noise even before reading that comment. My previous car had a N* V-8 engine and it sounded great! As a result I wasn't very happy about the engine sound of my new ATS from the beginning. That post caused me to pay more attention to the engine sound and compare it with the blender and ....

2- I have driven stupid, cheap, 4-cylnder cars! But my brand new ATS is not one of them and it is not supposed to sound like them.

3- I am not saying that it is OK because the rest of 2.0L turbos sound the same. My point is that it seems that this type of sound and noise is intrinsic to 4-cylender turbo engines, and it seems that Cadillac couldn't do much better....

4- You are not too old, you are just too grumpy!

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by ben.gators View Post
    1- That post caused me to pay more attention to the engine sound and compare it with the blender
    Exactly...

2- I have driven stupid, cheap, 4-cylnder cars! But my brand new ATS is not one of them and it is not supposed to sound like them.
    And since you have driven them, you know it is totally disingenuous to say that the ATS sounds anything like them.

4- You are not too old, you are just too grumpy!
    Yes... yes I am But more to the point of my ranting, I'm just a bit of a stickler for proper use of language and description. Everything these days is sound-bite over-exaggerated, and it does bring out my cranky side. I once had an '83 RX-7 with a carbureted 13B rotary; THAT sounded like blender: somewhat tinny, consistent in timbre throughout its pitch range, but relatively smooth. So, a blender after all the stuff was chopped up, I guess

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Just to clear things up, it was me that said it sounded like a blender.

And I stand by that comment.

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    Just to clear things up, it was me that said it sounded like a blender.

And I stand by that comment.
    I wish I could say you are wrong!

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    No, I'm pretty sure I knew what I was writing when I used the term "tone", although in point of fact I did not use that term in my initial post in this thread, the one to which you were responding: is it possible you confused "tone" with "note"? The latter is actually quite commonly used to describe the overall level of aural satisfaction with regards to a vehicle's exhaust, and requires little interpretation of the contextual use of adjectives.

Overwrought and exaggerated statements tend to diminish the credibility of opinions.
    sleep is a helluva drug

I will say, since the car (and by extension the muffler) have broken in a bit more, that it's changed significantly. The chain noise is much more muffled, and while I still wish there were more intake noise, it's approximately comparable to the other D/I 4 cylinders out there. Maybe slightly better than your average econobox, but still no singer.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Someone here posted that the 2.0L turbo sounds like a blender! I hope I never have read his comment! The truth is he is right, and now whenever I push the gas, the engine sound reminds me of blender! But again, many 2.0L turbo engines sound terrible; it is not just the ATS!
    There is a fix for that. People's feeling about sounds can be influenced by things they associate with the sounds, which may explain why I find the 2.0 sounds pleasant. But I digress (I realize that's a given and this comment is digression squared). Anyway, all you need to do is to condition your mind to associate the sound of a blender with pleasure. A strict regimen of frozen margaritas should do the trick for you as well as it does for me.

EnvoyBu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6L Premium Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    There is a fix for that. People's feeling about sounds can be influenced by things they associate with the sounds, which may explain why I find the 2.0 sounds pleasant. But I digress (I realize that's a given and this comment is digression squared). Anyway, all you need to do is to condition your mind to associate the sound of a blender with pleasure. A strict regimen of frozen margaritas should do the trick for you as well as it does for me.
    Well played!

I do prefer single malt scotch though...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by EnvoyBu View Post
    Well played!

I do prefer single malt scotch though...
    That would be good if the motor sounded like bag pipes.
    EnvoyBu likes this.

General Lee 01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T, MT, RWD, BNR TUNE, WHITE DIAMOND
    It's funny how all of us new ATS owners come from different backgrounds as far as what kinds of cars/engines we have owned and driven, and then compare these favorites to the ATS. The v8 people seem to be the loudest at complaining about the sound of the 2.0 exhaust note. I haven't read many complaints from the Suburu folks, or the other ricers, or the other domestic turbo folks. I don't mind the sound from my 2.0. It is unique to the ATS and has character, as demonstrated by all the comments- good or bad. I like different. If it sounded like most other turbos or like the subies, how boring would that be?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.