Know why the ATS is high class? The eletrical connectors
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Know why the ATS is high class? The eletrical connectors in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I find that electrical connectors in a car usually is an indicator of the quality of the rest of the ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Know why the ATS is high class? The eletrical connectors

I find that electrical connectors in a car usually is an indicator of the quality of the rest of the car.
    For example,
    VAG uses a very nice fully surrounded D style connector with a quick release tab

They're a bitch to get off when the cars get old, but nothing a small screwdriver can't handle.

Mercedes and BMW follow suite similarly, both use nice spring or plastic clip quick release connectors that are fully surrounded and weather proofed. BMW likes to use more traditional PC style connectors, but they're definitally beefy and secure nicely.

Cheverolet (and by extension Cadillac) by example, has used the same style connector going back as far as the 80s.

A cheap, plastic finger clip style that's half enclosed and is prone to the fingers breaking, causing the connector to become useless, besides being relatively flimsy.

The ATS though?

On my LTG, all of the connectors are a very nice style similar to what VAG has used for the past 2 decades, a nice rectangular style fully enclosed connector with a pull-up quick release, which is superior to the audi design a bit in that the tab doesn't get stuck with grime and become a PIA to remove.

Very nice GM

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    You're right about the older Cadillacs having those horrible connectors. On my old Cadillac, those connectors might as well be permanently bonded. There is no taking it apart

ben.gators is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0L Turbo Performance, 99 Seville STS--Gone!

Re: Know why the ATS is high class? The eletrical connectors

Nice! Thanks for posting!

Small details say a lot about the quality of the entire thing. The first "quality indicator" that really impressed me was the sound of doors when you close them! In some cars, when you close the door, it sounds like you are dropping an empty can on the ground. But in the ATS, it sounds solid and it feels very controlled.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

The major connectors are Delphi, Amp, Amphenol, Deutsch, Molex, Tyco....

Many of the brands have the same connectors as the other - once patents run out they copy designs. And in the case of automotive SAE standard connectors are shared by many. I will say Delphi's Metripack connectors are becoming less and less prevalent in harnesses though.

I've done quality/destruction testing on some of these connectors, and its interesting to see which ones leak/fail first and how.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by roadpie4u View Post
    The major connectors are Delphi, Amp, Amphenol, Deutsch, Molex, Tyco....

Many of the brands have the same connectors as the other - once patents run out they copy designs. And in the case of automotive SAE standard connectors are shared by many. I will say Delphi's Metripack connectors are becoming less and less prevalent in harnesses though.

I've done quality/destruction testing on some of these connectors, and its interesting to see which ones leak/fail first and how.
    interesting post, I have to agree with the metripacks, my old C4 has them and when I found them on the LSA I cringed slightly to think there's that same connection (and problems associated) with them on my brand new car. I haven't seem them used on many other new cars, even the Japanese have moved on to fully-enclosed connectors similar to what the BMW uses but much simpler in design with only a push-down tab release.

Small details say a lot about the quality of the entire thing. The first "quality indicator" that really impressed me was the sound of doors when you close them! In some cars, when you close the door, it sounds like you are dropping an empty can on the ground. But in the ATS, it sounds solid and it feels very controlled.
    I noticed that too. There's a nice clunk, even compared to the CTS's doors which are larger, and possibly more heavy. This is a car that GM (finaly) got all the details right. From the excellent deadpedal to the door handles.

Stevo Supremo is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

heh, when I was fiddling around with the car I also noticed these connector, good eye

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.