Seats, uncomfortable?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CZ4
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Seats, uncomfortable? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Anyone else struggling to get comfortable in their cars? I've tried almost every seat and steering wheel position, and I ...
    CZ4
    CZ4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Seats, uncomfortable?

Anyone else struggling to get comfortable in their cars?

I've tried almost every seat and steering wheel position, and I get neck and shoulder discomfort almost everytime after a drive.

My car is a 2.0T Luxury(Standard seat and suspension), no sunroof.

I'm 6'2, about 165lbs with long limbs, wouldn't consider myself very big.

Edmunds Long Term Test mentions the something similar: http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/...s-comfort.html

I find the headrest is getting in the way of a perfect seating position. The lumbar support does help my lower back, but it's almost too low, almost where my tailbone is. My shoulder also feel very cramped around the seat-belt/B-pillar area.

Anyone else have similar problems? Am I doing it wrong?
    Lorne likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Re: Seats, uncomfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by CZ4 View Post

I've tried almost every seat and steering wheel position, and I get neck and shoulder discomfort almost everytime after a drive.

My car is a 2.0T Luxury(Standard seat and suspension), no sunroof

Edmunds Long Term Test mentions the something similar: http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/...s-comfort.html

I find the headrest is getting in the way of a perfect seating position. The lumbar support does help my lower back, but it's almost too low, almost where my tailbone is. My shoulder also feel very cramped around the seat-belt/B-pillar area.

Is the headrest adjust to the most rearward position?

CZ4

Quote Originally Posted by MASCAD View Post
    Is the headrest adjust to the most rearward position?
    Yup, tried all adjustments.

For the headrest, up/down, inwards/outwards, anything I'm missing?
    I feel if i could bent the headrests back a bit, it would solve a lot of my discomfort issues.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

My car is a 2.0T Luxury(Standard seat and suspension), no sunroof.

I am sorry you are having this problem. You probably aren't doing anything wrong. You could just be someone who isn't a great match for the seats. I hope you can find the "best" settings though. I also thought the lumbar support should be higher but it was still okay for us.

While it doesn't help you, for anyone else reading this thread before buying any car, try to take an extended drive (3-4 hours) in a car with the same seats (and other ergonomics) before buying. It might be a hassle but you will likely have the car for years so make sure there aren't any comfort surprises. I knew to do that because my wife's back is sensitive but even if it wasn't that doesn't mean the seat was designed right. Fortunately for US the Premium/Performance seats felt great.

CZ4

are the front seat headrests removable? I just tried and couldn't get it out.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

The seats I found were on the firm side of firm. Not quite the concrete nature of the Recaro's in the V, but a far cry from being able to mold to whatever shape your body happens to be in.

My old B5 was worse though, I couldn't go for more than 2 hours without searing lower back pain in that car.

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

are the front seat headrests removable? I just tried and couldn't get it out.
    The owners manual (section 3) has this statement:

"The front seat outboard head
    restraints are not designed to be
    removed."

David is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 3.6; 1992 Cadillac Allanté

Everything like this is relative, of course; sorry you are having a problem. I find the seats in the ATS (I have the Premium) to be extremely comfortable; almost as good as my '92 Allanté's Recaro seats.

CZ4

What's the difference between the premium/upgraded seats vs the standard?
    I was only aware of the thigh adjust.

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual

t is getting in the way of a perfect seating position. The lumbar support does help my lower back, but it's almost too low, almost where my tailbone is. My shoulder also feel very cramped around the seat-belt/B-pillar area.

I have had the exact same issue as you, CZ4. I could have written your post! It felt OK when I was driving, but after coming out of the car, my neck, shoulders, and back felt really uncomfortable. I also felt that the headrest was too far forward in its rearmost position, and that the lumbar support was too low -- I wish it could be raised.

But I found a solution! I bought an ObusForme Lowback backrest support, and that solved everything. It looks like this:

ObusForme Small .jpeg

The lumbar support on the ObusForme can be adjusted, and there is a strap which goes around your seat, so it stays in place. It also allows the proper amount of room for your neck not to be cramped by the headrest.

You can either order one directly from ObusForme (Canadian link below), or they also have at Amazon and WalMart.

http://www.obusforme.com/sit/back-su...port-2645.html

CZ4

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    Thanks! I'll look into it. They even have burgundy/morello red

Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance
    Nooooo, that takes away all the work that has been done to remove the old man stigma.
    I'm three months in now. First couple weeks were ok, then had about a month of discomfort and playing with the settings.
    I came to realize this is a sports sedan and you have to sit in it as such.
    Have your hips slightly higher than your knees, recline the back more. Contrary to most cars, do not have the lumber support fully extended.
    Make sure when you get in the car it is butt first, then legs.

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue
    I find the seats uncomfortable on longer drives. As mentioned in an earlier post, the lumbar support is very low and is not height adjustable like it was on my BMW. Also, I can't raise the front of the seat bottom compared to the back unless I have the seat bottom very low. I had to resort to a lumbar pillow on longer drives, which helps some. The seat seems less uncomfortable on days I have worked out and stretched, but only marginally so.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.