I can't believe Gas Cover Lock is Option on $40000 dollar car!!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, I can't believe Gas Cover Lock is Option on $40000 dollar car!! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I just noticed that my car does not have gas cover release button so, I thought it is same as ...
    bly441219 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I just noticed that my car does not have gas cover release button so, I thought it is same as my Mercedes which locks during cars locked and open when cars unlocked. However, it does not lock anyway whatever I do. I searched and find out it is additional option. I can't believe it!!! I had so many cars and I thought every car has either lock feature or have cover release button inside even cheap cheap car. Why? Why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: I can't believe Gas Cover Lock is Option on $40000 dollar car!!

Quote Originally Posted by bly441219 View Post
    I just noticed that my car does not have gas cover release button so, I thought it is same as my Mercedes which locks during cars locked and open when cars unlocked. However, it does not lock anyway whatever I do. I searched and find out it is additional option. I can't believe it!!! I had so many cars and I thought every car has either lock feature or have cover release button inside even cheap cheap car. Why? Why?
    I knew before buying because it was in the brochure but was also surprised that it wasn't standard. If you park where gas theft or vandalism are a concern, you could get a locking gas cap. Not as convenient as factory locking door but may be more convenient than dealing with theft or vandalism.

It would be interesting to know Cadillac's reasoning for not making it standard. Maybe focus groups told them it wasn't important. Or maybe they realized that with the thinner lighter sheet metal in these cars a lock wouldn't keep most criminals out. If you have really studied the car you will realize the pretty extreme expensive steps Cadillac took to reduce weight. Not making a lock standard could be to save weight. I'm just thankful Cadillac doesn't charge MORE to delete features like Porsche does.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by bly441219 View Post
    our cars don't need a locking gas cap, you can't siphon gas from them, haven't been able to in a GM car for a while. this is due to an anti fuel return feature in the fuel filler plumbing that's designed to retain gasoline in the event of a rollover. a positive consequence of this safety feature is the inability to stick a hose in it and siphon gas. a negative consequence is that criminals know this and gas stealers drill into the tank and take gas from underneath. the only reason I can see for even considering wanting a locking gas cap is to prevent vandalism such as pouring something in the tank. which is probably why the locking feature is part of the optional security pkg. I live in a nice neighborhood and haven't even heard of needing gas security by anyone i know in at least 2 decades. if your parking your ATS in the street in bad areas, then get the security pkg, I'm glad I don't have to pay for something I will most likely never need.

bly441219 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Thanks guys! I guess I need to get locking gas cap. I am not afraid of loosing gas but, now kind of worried that someone might be put something or stealing gas cap for a fun. I hope no one doing this kind of activity for the fun but.... Might be jealous people on the street because, ATS is such a nice looking. Lol

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

this actually makes me worry.....someone at work who is very competitive just got a 328i....knowing him, i wonder if hed pour sugar in my tank cuz he knows i dont have a locking fuel door....looks like im installing a camera in the car.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    this actually makes me worry.....someone at work who is very competitive just got a 328i....knowing him, i wonder if hed pour sugar in my tank cuz he knows i dont have a locking fuel door....looks like im installing a camera in the car.
    You mean instead of a simple locking gas cap?

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    You mean instead of a simple locking gas cap?
    lol i seriously hate locking gas gaps for some reason....but would be a good idea.
    id get the camera cuz that gives more security on other aspects. also i wanna record my canyon runs lol. ive been looking at dash cameras for a while now.

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    GoPro

Quote Originally Posted by ewired View Post
    GoPro
    That is with a battery and not car connected, lacks a motion sensor and other options which I'm looking for, for security while parked

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Theirs tons of cars at this price range that dont have locking gas caps. Besides, cant siphon gas on new cars anyways

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by donavo

That is with a battery and not car connected, lacks a motion sensor and other options which I'm looking for, for security while parked
    Oh...you said canon runs....hard to beat the quality of video you'll get in motion with a GoPro. Especially outside of the vehicle.

As far as security while parked...are you really that paranoid? This isn't a Maybach or something, nobody's eyeing your ATS enough to warrant a Camera.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

By all means....hurry up and dump your cars...even if it means taking a loss!!!!! No locking gas cap...HORRORS!!!!!
    Even though it's an outdated and worthless option....get rid of your ATS NOW!!!! You made a mistake of a lifetime!! Forget about the fact that Cadillac made it optional.....again; that damn if you don't want it you don't have to pay for it concept.....You have a luxury car in bad neighborhoods that put sugar in your tanks............maybe it's time to move as well.....this is as egregious as the post about a luxury car like the ATS not having a change cup....seriously.....you're really upset by this?

RemaxAl is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD

You could open most locking gas caps with a screw driver. Locks keep honest people honest. A true maggot sucking thief will find a way. That's their craft.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    By all means....hurry up and dump your cars...even if it means taking a loss!!!!! No locking gas cap...HORRORS!!!!!
    Even though it's an outdated and worthless option....get rid of your ATS NOW!!!! You made a mistake of a lifetime!! Forget about the fact that Cadillac made it optional.....again; that damn if you don't want it you don't have to pay for it concept.....You have a luxury car in bad neighborhoods that put sugar in your tanks............maybe it's time to move as well.....this is as egregious as the post about a luxury car like the ATS not having a change cup....seriously.....you're really upset by this?
    Dude chill the hell out. Nobody said anything about your mother. You get mad from the smallest things lol.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    You have a luxury car in bad neighborhoods that put sugar in your tanks............maybe it's time to move as well.
    I've invented an engine that runs on sugar and am looking to move to a neighborhood like that so I can drive for free.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.