I can't believe Gas Cover Lock is Option on $40000 dollar car!! - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, I can't believe Gas Cover Lock is Option on $40000 dollar car!! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by YankeeVic See, told you....
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: I can't believe Gas Cover Lock is Option on $40000 dollar car!!

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeVic View Post
    See, told you.
    GJB likes this.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    Great, now you're gonna have PETDA all over you.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    This item (gas cap lock) just happened to 'push your button'; for me, I'm thinking a high dollar car (no specific amount here) should still come with a spare tire and jack and an automatic transmission dipstick tube (for checking level and more importantly checking color). If Cadillac had chosen to include a locking gas feature, someone else could just as easily pick something else esoteric to 'vent' about and we would probably have this same sort of thread. You pays your money (and you takes your choices).
    Yes. Although this thread turned into one of these, the original post was not like that. The OP didn't say the lack of a locking gas door was a big deal, just that he was surprised. I don't mind that at all. But of course what I mind doesn't really matter any more than how much it matters to someone else that a car doesn't have some feature.

But it gets tiresome to read about people who complain (sometimes bitterly) about not having some feature that they absolutely needed yet didn't read the brochure or ask before buying. But I guess they have a positive aspect too in reminding others they dodged that bullet (thru planning or luck).
    rustybear3 and 73JPS like this.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Great, now you're gonna have PETDA all over you.

----------

Yes. Although this thread turned into one of these, the original post was not like that. The OP didn't say the lack of a locking gas door was a big deal, just that he was surprised. I don't mind that at all. But of course what I mind doesn't really matter any more than how much it matters to someone else that a car doesn't have some feature.

But it gets tiresome to read about people who complain (sometimes bitterly) about not having some feature that they absolutely needed yet didn't read the brochure or ask before buying. But I guess they have a positive aspect too in reminding others they dodged that bullet (thru planning or luck).
    most ppl go in with a maximum dollar ammount tht they plan to spend and dont wanna go over that by a penny. which is a good mindset i think. so when they start putting those price tags on little options, u start taking those options off. its not that they dont read a brochure. i think u and rustybear dont read the posts all the way and end up assuming alot of stuff. like when rustybear thought i wanted to put cameras on the gas tank lol. but anyway, the locking gas cap must have thrown the price tag in the "too high" zone so they didnt opt for it. the result of that is a 40k dollar car that doesnt have a locking gas door. which does sound dumb i think. its not that cadillac gave u the option of not paying for it if u dont want it, mr cadillac fanboy, theyre just milking ur money from every single possible nipple u thought u didnt have.

huna is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 AWD Premium Thunder Gray, Caramel, with peanuts

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    i was about to post something about how u missed the point of what i said then i saw ur post count and sht uve spent a large chunk of ur life on this website.
    I think I do get your point, I just think you've picked a feature that is arbitrary, and there are always going to be some features that are standards on some brands and not others, or even not available at all. And we shouldn't be bothered by it other than our own value/need of that feature. Should an engine block heater be standard? Etc. But just because I disagree doesn't mean I think you're DUMB, I just disagree. FYI this message and most of my others were auto-generated by my "ATS auto-post app."
    rustybear3 and Hoosier Daddy like this.

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by huna View Post
    I think I do get your point, I just think you've picked a feature that is arbitrary, and there are always going to be some features that are standards on some brands and not others, or even not available at all. And we shouldn't be bothered by it other than our own value/need of that feature. Should an engine block heater be standard? Etc. But just because I disagree doesn't mean I think you're DUMB, I just disagree. FYI this message and most of my others were auto-generated by my "ATS auto-post app."
    I respectfully disagree.

The (electronic) locking fuel filler cap was a feature on my past Cadillacs, and was on my other cars - except the Grand Cherokee, which was a fully loaded 'Overland', which also lacked the (electronic) locking fuel filler cap feature - but guess what - the current 2014 models DO!!! Customers do care!

I predict that ALL Cadillacs will eventually get the electronic locking fuel filler cap - the cost of this feature is insignificant, and surely outweighs the negative marketing that omission surely creates.

As to other features - they SHOULD be available as 'line item options', not as 'packaged/bundled only options'. This would make a lot of these discussions go away. But as is - the cars are quirky configured, and it is a shame that the bundling is so poorly configured, almost as if to create value for the uplevel models. Heck, put the bigger engines only in the uplevel models, and make the money that way...

I know, the euro-brands behave very similarly (especially BMW), but the Asian brands include a lot more in a comparable model.

I like to see a list for 'luxury' or 'upscale' sedan in terms of which features are considered inclusive of such a moniker. Any feature that can be retro-fitted is a minor one - either add-on later or go after market. But features that require specific wiring harnesses, or need to be including during car manufacturing, and become prohibitively expensive when retro-fitted, should be either included (Go Cadillac!) or a line-item that can be checked off on ANY model trim, and not as a 'bundled' option (unless it is dependent on some other components).

Or to put it like this for the marketers - I would have gladly paid another $1,000 for some 'line item options', rather than the $4k or $9k for the up-level models....

GJB
    GJB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

People seem to forget that this is a car "Business" and decisions are made based on many factors a key ones being sales price to number of sales and cost to profit margin. My thought is that a standard locking gas cover/cap feature was determined from sophisticated research to not be significant enough to impact sales, It was also made available in a package for those who had to have it. You spend money to make money and spending money on standard gas lock does not make money. Capitalism is a beautiful thing...

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    To everyone in this thread that is complaining about a locking fuel "door" not being a standard option....how many of you actually have the option?

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by ewired View Post
    To everyone in this thread that is complaining about a locking fuel "door" not being a standard option....how many of you actually have the option?
    I wonder how many cars were even produced with that option. I bet it sure would have limited your selection choices off dealer lots. So to get what you want with the Security package I would think most with it would have been a factory order.

sclin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

fuelcap.jpg

For a $40,000 car do you want to protect against this act? (check out the attached image). I am so disappointed after I purchased a 2013 SRX and found out there is not even a option to add a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by sclin View Post
    Attachment 120265

For a $40,000 car do you want to protect against this act? (check out the attached image).
    I just had a rider for that added to my asteroid damage policy.
    73JPS and GJB like this.

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

OMG..be careful, your sarcasm will be considered annoying and offensive.... By the way, how long before we get "I can't believe my ATS doesn't have a piss in the tank filter"? .......should be standard...Oh, I did it again...crude humor...
    GJB likes this.

GJB

[QUOTE=blue_skies;3598537]I respectfully disagree.

I predict that ALL Cadillacs will eventually get the electronic locking fuel filler cap - the cost of this feature is insignificant, and surely outweighs the negative marketing that omission surely creates.

Blue, Not going to argue most of what you said even though I'm not in total agreement but I had to call you out on the "cost of a feature being insgnificant". When you are building and selling every single penny has an impact on total production just like extre weight on the car, a pound or two may be insignificant but not when you are trying to achieve something.

If you can tell me one person who walked away from an ATS purchase solely over the locking Gas cover I'll take a leak in sclin's ATS and maybe it will be caught on dash cam.

----------

If you eat asparagus before you fill your tank do you get a higher octane?

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    If you eat asparagus before you fill your tank do you get a higher octane?
    First of all, I only p155 in the tank of my diesel truck and that's because I'm too cheap to PAY for urea injection chemicals when I can do it for free.
    Second, I only eat asparagus beforehand for St. Patrick's Day.
    73JPS and GJB like this.

GJB

Quote Originally Posted by sclin View Post
    Attachment 120265

For a $40,000 car do you want to protect against this act? (check out the attached image). I am so disappointed after I purchased a 2013 SRX and found out there is not even a option to add a lock.
    Maybe the argument should be to use the 40K spent on the ATS to move to a better neighborhood. The day there is an old guy in my driveway drinking beer and filling tanks I’m moving.

TonyT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS
    Just to let everyone know I ordered the upgraded security system on my 14 ATS I looked all over for the release that opens the fuel filler door I couldn't find it anywhere, guess what, there isn't one.....lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.