After Market Wheels Void Maintenance and Warranty?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, After Market Wheels Void Maintenance and Warranty? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I've had my ATS for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. What I'd like to do is ...
    RonboATS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Thunder Gray

After Market Wheels Void Maintenance and Warranty?

I've had my ATS for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. What I'd like to do is install some after market wheels because the base model stock wheels are a little boring. The wheels I'm looking at are the same dimensions as the OEM wheels (17"x7.5). When I called my local Cadillac service department they told me that the after market wheels would nulify the rotation portion of my 4 year maintenance plan and would void the warranty for the suspension.

Has anyone else run into this? I could understand if I were upgrading to 20" or greater but a stock sized wheel?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Re: After Market Wheels Void Maintenance and Warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by RonboATS View Post
    I've had my ATS for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. What I'd like to do is install some after market wheels because the base model stock wheels are a little boring. The wheels I'm looking at are the same dimensions as the OEM wheels (17"x7.5). When I called my local Cadillac service department they told me that the after market wheels would nulify the rotation portion of my 4 year maintenance plan and would void the warranty for the suspension.

Has anyone else run into this? I could understand if I were upgrading to 20" or greater but a stock sized wheel?
    Regarding the warranty, you just have a bad dealer. It's been my experience that dealers who say things like that are ones who have been burned for not following some rule and are now afraid to wipe their noses without prior approval. Now Cadillac isn't likely to officially help unless they already have a directive that specifically says other wheels will NOT void a warranty. And doing things like that are NOT in a manufacture's best interest. Every written rule has a price and potential risk. They expect some common sense. Your dealer doesn't have any. So even if they changed their mind, you really don't want to be doing any business with them you don't have to because they are a ticking time bomb.

Legally, Cadillac can not void a warranty on factory parts unless an aftermarket part caused it to fail. A judge or arbitrator would NOT find that a same sized wheel within the wide range of factory wheel weights could have any impact on the reliability of any suspension part. Now if you threw some 50lb wheels on there and drove on train tracks until something popped, maybe.

As for not rotating your wheels, did they show you anything from Cadillac saying that? The wheels obviously won't add any work. BUT, what happens when they break or scratch one? The dealer would be liable for replacing it. Same would be true of a factory wheel in theory but they may be thinking they could lie and tell Cadillac there was a defect with a factory wheel which is likely the kind of thing that got them in trouble before and why they are gun shy.

I don't think any competent and honest service department should refuse to rotate aftermarket wheels particularly if they are cheaper than the factory, and don't requre special handling OR you give them a cap for any damage the dealer does to them. Do you want someone working on your car who thinks they might not be able to rotate wheels without damaging them?

I'd go somewhere else.

Thanks for the response Hoosier! I greatly appreciate the insight. I actually purchased the car from a dealer 45 minutes from my house because the local dealer (the one who said wheels would void warranty) didn't act like they wanted my business. I'd hate to drive the 45 minutes for service every time though.

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by RonboATS View Post
    Thanks for the response Hoosier! I greatly appreciate the insight. I actually purchased the car from a dealer 45 minutes from my house because the local dealer (the one who said wheels would void warranty) didn't act like they wanted my business. I'd hate to drive the 45 minutes for service every time though.
    yeah voiding warranty is a sticky subject, Hoosier is spot on in everything he said, now is your dealer wrong? not entirely, but common sense applies here, you'd only not have the warranty on the parts you replaced, but even then that's not voiding the warranty put the original back and no ones the wiser or will even question the warranty. then there's dealer installed parts, if that particular dealer installed chrome wheels with the gold wreath and crest from vogue on a DTS they sold (very popular thing to do at old cadillac stores) do you think they would deny rotating those aftermarket wheels, .....hell no....bottom line is your dealer sucks unfortunately.

as a side note drop a hint as to hometown or zip code so that your ATS brothers and sisters can figure out good dealers from bad, no need to name the dealership

Thanks Wookiee! I'll create a sig or add to my info but I'm in the panhandle of Florida. Close to Destin.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.