Upgraded audio - Page 2
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Upgraded audio in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Well, my 10" sub is installed in the storage bin under the floor (where the spare would be) and takes ...
    cullama213 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo

Re: Upgraded audio

Well, my 10" sub is installed in the storage bin under the floor (where the spare would be) and takes up ZERO trunk space and I can still throw anything I want in the trunk as the equipment is all protected by Caddy themed grilles.

I will try to get some photos posted this week so everyone can see the fruits of my labor

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by cullama213 View Post
    Well, my 10" sub is installed in the storage bin under the floor (where the spare would be) and takes up ZERO trunk space and I can still throw anything I want in the trunk as the equipment is all protected by Caddy themed grilles.

I will try to get some photos posted this week so everyone can see the fruits of my labor
    sounds sweet (conceptually of course I haven't heard it), sounds like you replaced the foam bin and floor, did you remove the bose sub to let the sound pass into the cabin? I dont have the fold down or pass through so wondering about sound, i'm also guessing this is amplified, how did you interface it with the Bose.

duneless likes this.

Alright, figured out how to post some photos. Sorry they are upside down and low quality, if you click on them they flip and look much better.

At the moment, the system is not playing as I work around 55 hours a week and only get to work on this in my spare time. Everything you see was fabricated by me in my garage.

The two amps will integrate with the Bose system after the factory amp via a Rockford Fosgate 360.3. Basically I will send the high level inputs into the RF unit and convert it to RCA level. The RF unit has crossovers, time alignment and EQ built in.

As for the factory sub, I will be pulling it out and using that hole as my main 'vent' for the new sub I to the car.

Here are some build pics... Note the use of aluminum on the sub box to match my new aluminum trim on my interior...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The use of fiberglass reinforced body filler is to assure tight tolerances with the factory trunk panels...

image.jpg

image.jpg
    duneless and quaraong like this.

As it progresses, I will post some more pics...

As it progresses, I will post some more pics...
    Awesome, I applaud your ingenuity.... one question, what are your thoughts on the Bose active noise canceling dialing out some of your improved bass mistaking it for road noise? assuming it's familiar with its own sub/amp and their specs/parameters and not familiar with your upgrades?

If it does cancel something out, then I will end up disconnecting the mics.

To be honest, I really can't tell that the ANC does much anyways.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    If it does cancel something out, then I will end up disconnecting the mics.

To be honest, I really can't tell that the ANC does much anyways.
    It has an option to turn off under audio settings. Don't disconnect mics lol

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    Unless he's trying to get hired by Edmunds. One of their writers (with engineer in his title) said he was going to cut the wires to the vibrating seats. Apparently wasn't an advanced enough engineer to just turn the option off.
    Guy.Seminerio likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    Where is there an option to turn it off? I must have missed that, and yes I am an engineer! Haha

Where is there an option to turn it off? I must have missed that, and yes I am an engineer! Haha
    you can't turn off the ANC I think the setting being referred to is the Bose audiopilot(which is defeatable) which adjusts eq and volume levels based on road noise increase heard through the mics …same mics different function ANC listens for road AND engine noise and specifically targets them with a cancelation noise (opposite phase generated signal introduced into the audio signal sent to speakers)

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    you can't turn off the ANC I think the setting being referred to is the Bose audiopilot(which is defeatable) which adjusts eq and volume levels based on road noise increase heard through the mics …same mics different function ANC listens for road AND engine noise and specifically targets them with a cancelation noise (opposite phase generated signal introduced into the audio signal sent to speakers)
    Ok, I know where Audiopilot is... Didn't think there was a away to defeat ANC (I actually asked Cadillac and they said to disconnect the mics)... People in the audio scene, of which I am a part of, do this sort of thing in the higher end cars all the time...

Ok, I know where Audiopilot is... Didn't think there was a away to defeat ANC (I actually asked Cadillac and they said to disconnect the mics)... People in the audio scene, of which I am a part of, do this sort of thing in the higher end cars all the time...
    I know there are 3 of them....... i don't recall if onstar uses them too, I do know onstar tries to have the car mic'd up so they can communicate with all passengers, like in escalade there are 2 onstar mics in front one for each front seat and another in back for the rear passengers. In the ATS I don't know if they're shared or not

Got the sub wired up this weekend... Sounds great and no issues with the ANC, at least from what I can tell.

Now I need to add some sound deadening...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.