Laundered FOB
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gohawks63
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Laundered FOB in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Threw some clothes in the washer, then dryer. Folding some after the dryer and find my FOB in my shorts ...
    mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Laundered FOB

Threw some clothes in the washer, then dryer. Folding some after the dryer and find my FOB in my shorts pocket! Tried it and it didn't work anymore. Anyhow, I decided I would take it apart and wipe any soap residual out and try it again. No good. Well next step is try to replace the battery and see what happens. The SOB worked!!! Thought I was going to have to buy a new one. What luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Re: Laundered FOB

This is good to know, as I do live in a certain amount of fear that I am going to do the same thing one day soon! This is the first car I have owned with push button start, and I keep the fob separate from my other keys (keeps it from getting hacked up ), so I am probably a prime candidate for waterlogged fob.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS
    This is good to know, as I do live in a certain amount of fear that I am going to do the same thing one day soon! This is the first car I have owned with push button start, and I keep the fob separate from my other keys (keeps it from getting hacked up ), so I am probably a prime candidate for waterlogged fob.
    Another trick is to put it in a bag of uncooked white rice and put it in the fridge. The rice draws out and absorbs the humidity from the electronics.

It's a well known trick for people who drop their phones in the water. We did it with my wife's iPhone 5.
    JChen likes this.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

The fob had been through the dryer cycle, it was dry. Still had some soap scum inside though. Tough little fob!

KXAM is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I have done that twice with my Corvette fob! Both times I used a hair dryer to dry it out for a minute or two and it worked perfectly..!!

WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Main thing is to let it dry out before you try to use it! You can also buy contact cleaner and spray on a qtip and clean the circuit board if there is any corrosion on it. I had to do this once and it worked. Again - just let it dry before trying to use it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.