Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Laundered FOB

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  WannaV 
#1 ·
Threw some clothes in the washer, then dryer. Folding some after the dryer and find my FOB in my shorts pocket! Tried it and it didn't work anymore. :( Anyhow, I decided I would take it apart and wipe any soap residual out and try it again. No good. Well next step is try to replace the battery and see what happens. The SOB worked!!! :) Thought I was going to have to buy a new one. What luck. :cloud9:

#2 ·
This is good to know, as I do live in a certain amount of fear that I am going to do the same thing one day soon! This is the first car I have owned with push button start, and I keep the fob separate from my other keys (keeps it from getting hacked up :) ), so I am probably a prime candidate for waterlogged fob.

#3 ·
73JPS said:
This is good to know, as I do live in a certain amount of fear that I am going to do the same thing one day soon! This is the first car I have owned with push button start, and I keep the fob separate from my other keys (keeps it from getting hacked up :) ), so I am probably a prime candidate for waterlogged fob.
Another trick is to put it in a bag of uncooked white rice and put it in the fridge. The rice draws out and absorbs the humidity from the electronics.

It's a well known trick for people who drop their phones in the water. We did it with my wife's iPhone 5.

#6 ·
Main thing is to let it dry out before you try to use it! You can also buy contact cleaner and spray on a qtip and clean the circuit board if there is any corrosion on it. I had to do this once and it worked. Again - just let it dry before trying to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.