Big ATS problem... - Page 3
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Big ATS problem... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Originally Posted by Fraggy Why should they. Even the top trim should have options. Exactly; even though I was being ...
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: Big ATS problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    Why should they. Even the top trim should have options.
    Exactly; even though I was being a little facetious....I do wish they separated the extra option packages out a little....I'd be willing to pay a little extra for individual items I really wanted than be forced into "packages" with options I don't....I just believe the more individual options, the better....isn't that the point of custom building your car?....of course, it's a great profit motive for the car builder to guide you into these packages; but in the long run, I think the increased sales by satisfying customer wants would offset this...

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3

Exactly; even though I was being a little facetious....I do wish they separated the extra option packages out a little....I'd be willing to pay a little extra for individual items I really wanted than be forced into "packages" with options I don't....I just believe the more individual options, the better....isn't that the point of custom building your car?....of course, it's a great profit motive for the car builder to guide you into these packages; but in the long run, I think the increased sales by satisfying customer wants would offset this...
    It's a hot topic on the BMW forums as well. We all want choices.

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I go with, it should be included. Chrysler includes it in all 300s other than the base and that's a lower end vehicle (at least I'm sure Cadillac feels that way).

The whole idea of packages is to maximize profits by limiting configurations. So you live in an area that does not get cold and you have heated seats you may not have wanted, so what. Do you really think you are saving $600 by having Cadillac keep it as a stand lone option? Also if you've never had them you may not know what you are missing. I have used the heated seats with the air conditioning running. Why? Just spent a day doing hard labor (digging some holes a vacation home), my back was tired and the heated seats kept the muscles relaxed during a long drive home.

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    I go with, it should be included. Chrysler includes it in all 300s other than the base and that's a lower end vehicle (at least I'm sure Cadillac feels that way).

The whole idea of packages is to maximize profits by limiting configurations. So you live in an area that does not get cold and you have heated seats you may not have wanted, so what. Do you really think you are saving $600 by having Cadillac keep it as a stand lone option? Also if you've never had them you may not know what you are missing. I have used the heated seats with the air conditioning running. Why? Just spent a day doing hard labor (digging some holes a vacation home), my back was tired and the heated seats kept the muscles relaxed during a long drive home.
    That's like saying do your really think you're saving $900 by not getting premium paint or upgraded wheels...uh....yeah, you are....and it's $450 option, not $600...you don't think that to get at that $33,000 price point that Cadillac had to take into consideration the elimination of options to achieve that? By the way, you have to move up $3000 to $33,145 on the Chyrsler 300s to get them....on Cadillac...it's only $450 if you want them on the ATS....any model...including the base...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    That's like saying do your really think you're saving $900 by not getting premium paint or upgraded wheels...uh....yeah, you are....and it's $450 option, not $600...you don't think that to get at that $33,000 price point that Cadillac had to take into consideration the elimination of options to achieve that? By the way, you have to move up $3000 to $33,145 on the Chyrsler 300s to get them....on Cadillac...it's only $450 if you want them on the ATS....any model...including the base...
    I've come to the conclusion that there are a significant number of masochist buyers who get off on being charged for stuff they don't want or need. It's a harmless fetish so don't try to cure them.
    ben.gators and rustybear3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that there are a significant number of masochist buyers who get off on being charged for stuff they don't want or need. It's a harmless fetish so don't try to cure them.
    While I agree its nice to have stand alone options, the cost of having everything stand alone is too high. From a manufacturing and repair point of view its much easier (and cheaper) to offer equipment bundled together. Keeping heated seats as a stand alone option means Cadillac is offering 24 different front seats in the ATS (and needs to have 48 available in its parts inventory). This would be cut in half if heated seats were either standard in all models or standard in all up level trims (Luxury Performance and Premium) and not available in the base cars.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    While I agree its nice to have stand alone options, the cost of having everything stand alone is too high. From a manufacturing and repair point of view its much easier (and cheaper) to offer equipment bundled together. Keeping heated seats as a stand alone option means Cadillac is offering 24 different front seats in the ATS (and needs to have 48 available in its parts inventory). This would be cut in half if heated seats were either standard in all models or standard in all up level trims (Luxury Performance and Premium) and not available in the base cars.
    I stand corrected. There are some masochists who only want to be forced to pay half for things they don't want or need.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)
    There is only one heated seat part. Well two none for back and one for bottom. Ok four. Driver and passenger.

But those parts are separate from the seat color/design options. It does not double the number of parts for seats.
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    I stand corrected. There are some masochists who only want to be forced to pay half for things they don't want or need.
    I give up! Some people would be happier if there was one model...one price...and no options.......fully loaded....and of course they'd want a $50,000 plus equipped vehicle for $33,000.....cause that's what a Chevy goes for...

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

Choice and free will are a beuitiful thing. There is almost a 20K range between ATS base and "fully loaded". It's great to have a car that apeals too so many with price points and options that fit individual wants and budgets. Sure with packages you may get more than you wanted but the cost is usualy lower than the options would be if ordered seperate and you usualy wind up liking the additional feature. IMO Cadillac did a very good job out of the gate and will continue to tweek packages to meet demand. Don't sweat the small stuff and enjoy your ATS.
    rustybear3 and Jones atsnh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    There is only one heated seat part. Well two none for back and one for bottom. Ok four. Driver and passenger.

But those parts are separate from the seat color/design options. It does not double the number of parts for seats.
    Cadillac is not assembling the seats so the parts inventory for the factory needs 24 different seats (really 48 different front seats) coming in the plant for production. That is unless all of the seats have the heating pad and they just leave out the switch on cars without heated seats.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

So? there's thousands upon thousands of parts that go into making your ATS

should GM/Cadillac go back to the days of Henry Ford's Model T only available in one color?
    or the days of the Model 500 Bell telephone that only came in one color (black)?

I don't think your point that choices and options are costly holds much water.
    Yes, it costs more to develop choices and options but how much more? you can't really say
    neither can I, but I'm not the one making the claim that 48 different front seats is a bad thing

remember, we're talking about a luxury vehicle and we're living in the 21st century not the turn of the 20th...
    options and choices are the norm and are expected
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

wongluk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6spd
    I have performance trim and I have heated steering wheel and heated seats standard

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

ewired is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
    Quote Originally Posted by wongluk
    I have performance trim and I have heated steering wheel and heated seats standard

It was an option.
    Not standard

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by wongluk

I have the premium and it was a 600 dollar option

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.