My ATS is Down and Out!
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rustybear3
  • 1 Post By joelrobison
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, My ATS is Down and Out! in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Saturday on my way home from golf my ATS started to missfire. It idled very rough and the check engine ...
    JSATS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 ATS 2.0 premium

Unhappy My ATS is Down and Out!

Saturday on my way home from golf my ATS started to missfire. It idled very rough and the check engine light came on. The power was down and it felt like it went into limp mode. I brought it to my dealer and they promptly put me in a XTS loaner.(more on that another time). Well come Monday they tell me it needs a new fuel injector so it won't be fixed till Wednesday. Then Wed. they call and tell me that its still not fixed because it needs a new engine computer. Then today I didn't hear from them all day and when they finally called I knew it wouldn't be good news. I was then told that my car needs a new engine! One of the four cylinders has only 80 PSI and they figure it dropped a valve or something else. Cadillac is sending them out a new crate engine next week and they wan't my engine back to them so they can figure out what went wrong. This is my first ever Cadillac and I know it can happen to any car but it still makes me feel uneasy. I never ever spent 50 grand on a car before in my life and now that I have the engine goes south. I hope my dealer does a good job putting the new engine in it because this is a brand new car and I'm not real happy about it having something this major done to it by a local dealer. My wife and I love the car but this really leaves a bad taste in our mouths.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: My ATS is Down and Out!

Quote Originally Posted by JSATS View Post
    Saturday on my way home from golf my ATS started to missfire. It idled very rough and the check engine light came on. The power was down and it felt like it went into limp mode. I brought it to my dealer and they promptly put me in a XTS loaner.(more on that another time). Well come Monday they tell me it needs a new fuel injector so it won't be fixed till Wednesday. Then Wed. they call and tell me that its still not fixed because it needs a new engine computer. Then today I didn't hear from them all day and when they finally called I knew it wouldn't be good news. I was then told that my car needs a new engine! One of the four cylinders has only 80 PSI and they figure it dropped a valve or something else. Cadillac is sending them out a new crate engine next week and they wan't my engine back to them so they can figure out what went wrong. This is my first ever Cadillac and I know it can happen to any car but it still makes me feel uneasy. I never ever spent 50 grand on a car before in my life and now that I have the engine goes south. I hope my dealer does a good job putting the new engine in it because this is a brand new car and I'm not real happy about it having something this major done to it by a local dealer. My wife and I love the car but this really leaves a bad taste in our mouths.
    Hello JSATS,

I am sorry to hear that this has happened with your new ATS. I know how frustrating issues can be with a new vehicle. It does seem like the dealership is taking good care of you, but if you have any concerns about the vehicle after the repair, please private message us so Laura or I can look into the situation for you. Please continue to keep us updated about the situation as well. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post. I will be looking for your future updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Just think of it this way....how many dealerships or companies would replace the entire engine without question instead of tearing it apart and repairing the valve, etc?...these things happen
    ben.gators likes this.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by JSATS
    Sorry man. Couldn't have said it better, of course it can happen to a $15,000 car or a $200,000 car but its very disconcerting when you get a brand new Cadillac. I look at it like its not any special engine, just a gm 3.6 that's mass produced and put in thousands of cars. Same with the car, yeah it's a caddy and it sure seems better quality than your average Chevy, but its still mass produced and things can still go wrong. My car started stumbling a bit and the check engine light came on. Never had a loss of power, but its going to the dealer tomorrow to get checked out. Good luck!

I do have a great dealer and I'm confident they will take care of me and make sure I'm satisfied with the final outcome. I'm just a little bummed right now and my wife is missing her car in a big way. She is missing the back up camera, garage door opener and her bluetooth phone hookup along with other things that she has come to love about her premium ATS. Hopefully we will get it back in a week or so and everything will be in working order.

joelrobison is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V (sold), 2013 ATS 2.0T

Im not trying to cast any doubt that this is a great car/platform/engine but it is fairly new on all counts - certainly they have made great strides in fit and finish and GM has been really great in the last 7 years or so in dissecting problems and feeding them back into their QA process.

Chances are this car was not performing well when you received it, you may be surprised with a new engine. I also agree with rustybear3: its great they are taking care of this without an argument and are being thorough.
    Hoosier Daddy likes this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

so what about the XTS loaner?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Sorry to hear.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

I would be happier with the new engine than with any attempts to repair the current one. While it sounds like open heart surgery, actually (I'm not a mechanic so those who are correct me if I'm wrong) I would think it's a job that has a small chance of problems. All the accessories will hook right up fine.

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

I agree that replacing an engine is less likely to create new problems than opening up an engine for repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrayon View Post
    Sorry man. Couldn't have said it better, of course it can happen to a $15,000 car or a $200,000 car but its very disconcerting when you get a brand new Cadillac. I look at it like its not any special engine, just a gm 3.6 that's mass produced and put in thousands of cars. Same with the car, yeah it's a caddy and it sure seems better quality than your average Chevy, but its still mass produced and things can still go wrong. My car started stumbling a bit and the check engine light came on. Never had a loss of power, but its going to the dealer tomorrow to get checked out. Good luck!
    Hello bluecrayon,

How did the trip to the dealership go today concerning your ATS? Please let me know if it is something that you would like me to look into. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3
    Just think of it this way....how many dealerships or companies would replace the entire engine without question instead of tearing it apart and repairing the valve, etc?...these things happen
    Actually Cadillac isn't replacing the engine for altruistic reasons. They want the complete engine so that they can understand why it failed. If they weren't interested in the underlying cause they would have gone with whatever route was cheaper for them.

A similar situation occurred when I owned a 2001 Acura TL. The 5 speed transmissions they had introduced had started self destructing. Acura was shipping new transmissions as a replacement and was instructing the dealers to not break the seal in the old ones. They wanted the transmissions intact so that they could disassemble them at the factory to determine the cause. The problem was that the replacements were self destructing too.

In the end there was a design flaw that involved inadequate lubrication to the 3rd gear clutch pack.

They then issued a recall which involved having the dealers drop the transmission oil pan and take a picture of the internals (Acura provided the dealers with the cameras). The picture was then sent to Acura for evaluation. If there was evidence of heat damage Acura would authorize a replacement with a redesigned transmission. If there was no visible heat damage they directed the dealer to install a retrofit part that sprayed oil directly to that clutch pack. Acura then extended the warranty for the transmission to 7 years/120K miles.

I never experienced an outright failure but I did report a weird shift once. They immediately replaced the transmission but then I had to take it back in once they figured it out for the retrofit.

Quote Originally Posted by RippyPartsDept View Post
    so what about the XTS loaner?
    The XTS is a beautiful car but its not for me. Its very large and it rides and handles like a very large car. I can honestly say I would never buy one. The ATS is by far a much better car for me and my wife. We owned a couple Audi A4's before this ATS and after owning them and driving many BMW's there is something about small luxury sport sedans I really like. The ATS is everything the XTS is not and thats a very good thing to me. The ATS is the first American made car that rides and handles as good or better than the German sports sedans and thats why I bought one.

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc

Hello bluecrayon,

How did the trip to the dealership go today concerning your ATS? Please let me know if it is something that you would like me to look into. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Hello, it went great, thanks for asking. They got it in quick and replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor, which seems to have fixed the stumbling idle as well. Seems it idles and runs smoother now. The onstar module was, however, found to indeed be dead so I have to take it back to have it removed and confirmed bad. All in all I was pleased with the service.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrayon View Post
    Hello, it went great, thanks for asking. They got it in quick and replaced the fuel tank pressure sensor, which seems to have fixed the stumbling idle as well. Seems it idles and runs smoother now. The onstar module was, however, found to indeed be dead so I have to take it back to have it removed and confirmed bad. All in all I was pleased with the service.
    Hello bluecrayon,

I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the service you received and that they were able to get you in and out rather quickly while making sure your vehicle runs smoother now. I apologize that you need to go back in concerning your OnStar module, but I hope that interaction goes smoothly as well. Please feel free to message us privately if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your vehicle.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.