Adaptive Cruise Control Misaligned
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Adaptive Cruise Control Misaligned in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So I've been having this issue the last few months: The Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) will pickup a car in ...
    danscrim is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6L

Adaptive Cruise Control Misaligned

So I've been having this issue the last few months: The Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) will pickup a car in the lane to the right of you (about 50ft back or so)... thus applying the brakes and slowing down to follow it. Once you apply the gas to override it and get a little closer to the car (maybe 25ft back or so, still in the lane next to you) it will realize that your lane is actually clear and continue on.

Sounds like some sort of alignment issue to me because the system is working as it should, but it is just consistently picking up cars in the lane to the right. Absolutely never in the lane to the left.

Additionally, it seems to be picking up cars that truly are in my lane a little later than it used to. Again - pointing to a misalignment issue.

Anyone else experience this? I have a bad feeling that this is going to be really hard to diagnose and fix. The dealer already had one shot at it and failed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pever is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security

Re: Adaptive Cruise Control Misaligned

I suspect this will not be hard to fix. I think that it uses both the camera and the radar so maybe the dealer guessed wrong as to which was misaligned - if that is in fact the problem. I use the adaptive cruise control a lot and have taught myself new habits to make optimal use of it. I have to say that I think it is surprisingly accurate on alignment. It picks up trucks that wander 1' into my lane, it holds vehicles in my target zone until I finish a full lane change. From what I have seen, it does not just follow a specified width of road, but a specified width of open lane. So... I mention all this so you can feel confident that your system should be spot on. The only problem I have had with it was a cold wet winter day and I seemed to have ice in the grille that had the system turning on and off. I called my dealer as it was happening and at their suggestion, a car wash fixed the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pever View Post
    I suspect this will not be hard to fix. I think that it uses both the camera and the radar so maybe the dealer guessed wrong as to which was misaligned - if that is in fact the problem. I use the adaptive cruise control a lot and have taught myself new habits to make optimal use of it. I have to say that I think it is surprisingly accurate on alignment. It picks up trucks that wander 1' into my lane, it holds vehicles in my target zone until I finish a full lane change. From what I have seen, it does not just follow a specified width of road, but a specified width of open lane. So... I mention all this so you can feel confident that your system should be spot on. The only problem I have had with it was a cold wet winter day and I seemed to have ice in the grille that had the system turning on and off. I called my dealer as it was happening and at their suggestion, a car wash fixed the problem.
    Thanks for the reply. I've definitely had similar success with the ACC before this problem arose. I, too, was surprised at how well it was performing. I also have experienced the same problem with the ice/slush on the grill during the winter time. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer in the next few days and see what they come up with. I'll keep you posted.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by danscrim View Post
    So I've been having this issue the last few months: The Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) will pickup a car in the lane to the right of you (about 50ft back or so)... thus applying the brakes and slowing down to follow it. Once you apply the gas to override it and get a little closer to the car (maybe 25ft back or so, still in the lane next to you) it will realize that your lane is actually clear and continue on.

Sounds like some sort of alignment issue to me because the system is working as it should, but it is just consistently picking up cars in the lane to the right. Absolutely never in the lane to the left.

Additionally, it seems to be picking up cars that truly are in my lane a little later than it used to. Again - pointing to a misalignment issue.

Anyone else experience this? I have a bad feeling that this is going to be really hard to diagnose and fix. The dealer already had one shot at it and failed.
    Hello danscrim,

I see you have been to the dealer already for your adaptive cruise control misalignment. I also read your other post stating you will be going back to the dealer for the same issue. I want to stay involved with you throughout this process. Can you please private message me so we can continue our interaction with one another? Thanks!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Just following up to close out this thread. After literally months of being in and out of the shop, my car is fixed! They replaced the front facing camera (located behind the rear view mirror), which solved the problem. I always thought that camera was only used for the lane departure warning system. However it is apparently also used (in conjunction with the forward-facing radars) for the adaptive cruise control.

What an adventure... just happy it's finally fixed!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.