Auto tranny holding gears
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Auto tranny holding gears in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey all does the 3.6 ats hold gears differently depending on how "spirited" you are driving?? Not often but twice ...
    bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Auto tranny holding gears

Hey all does the 3.6 ats hold gears differently depending on how "spirited" you are driving?? Not often but twice now my car has done it but I'm not 100 sure it's something the car was supposed to do or something wrong! Actually it's not so much holding longer but not shifting at all. One time I was hitting a sharp bend and I got on it and let off but instead of shifting it just sort of wound down and eventually shifted. Another time it was almost the same except I got on it up a hill around a bit if a bend but someone pulled over in front of me so I had to let off and once again it stayed in a lower gear and revved down then shifted. This was in sport mode. Anyone have sillier situations??

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Re: Auto tranny holding gears

Yes, read up on the PAL algorithm - the car will hold the tranny when you run with a heavy foot - more so in sports mode than in touring mode.

When you lift, it holds the rpm, waiting for you to press the accelerator again.

I find the algorithm pretty intuitive - in other words, it mimics how I would be driving a stick shift, in terms of gear selection and gear holding.

The car supposedly senses centrifugal forces, so the PAL algorithm knows whether you are lifting in a corner or on a straight road course, and will do the 'best' (programmed) thing.

I find it pretty intuitive in its response.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Re: Auto tranny holding gears

It's great after some hot corners when I break very heavy it pops down gears rev matching all the way.
    Awesome...

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    Thanks for the info! I never realized this. I tried it a little while ago, got on it pretty hard around a turn and let off, it held the gear then straightened out and floored it until it shifted....truly awesome!! Never drove a car with intuitive shifting before. Pretty awesome.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Post deleted lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.