Quirks - problems/ 2013 ATS 2.0T/Manual. Have any of you noticed?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Quirks - problems/ 2013 ATS 2.0T/Manual. Have any of you noticed? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi all, I thought that starting a thread on some things I have noticed in the last two weeks of ...
    joelrobison is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V (sold), 2013 ATS 2.0T

Quirks - problems/ 2013 ATS 2.0T/Manual. Have any of you noticed?

Hi all,

I thought that starting a thread on some things I have noticed in the last two weeks of ownership to get a sense if these are typical things or things that should be looked at and corrected. For reference I have a

Here goes!

1. 6th Gear syncro seems weak - sometimes I will get her up to cruizing speed (very politely, no high revving) and 6th will grind, ive even tried double clutching but they key has been to wait for about 4 seconds or so

2. fuel milage is a bit lower than expected for the turbo - I drive on some hills in my commute but mostly a large long stretch at 65MPH and I get around 25, again I drive it nicely however I am using regular and not premium gas

3. sometimes while playing music from my iPhone the sound will cut out for around 3 seconds and then resume - I am using standard trim, no CUE and with a cable connected

4. Idel can be really shakey sometimes - this just seems like an oddness rather than a problem, but im happy to ignore it since I know the cam in this 4Cyl is pretty large for what it is.

5. The cruise control, 5MPH DOWN direction doesnt always work - sometimes when I push all the way down on the 5MPH control on the left part of the steering wheel it only goes 1MPH as the other part of the button doesnt seem to work.

These are just some things I have noticed and wanted to see if people with the same trim/model and others may have noticed something simliar, this could also just be me and my usage.

I want to point out however that I AM VERY VERY HAPPY with this car! I absolutely love it.

-Joel

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Get that 6th gear grind documented ASAP. Let the dealer have a record of that.

Mileage seems to get better over time, per other members here.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Quirks - problems/ 2013 ATS 2.0T/Manual. Have any of you noticed?

get all of it documented at your dealer

some of (or maybe even all) those things can probably be fixed

for one, when you bring it to your dealer be prepared to answer these kinds of questions about the rough idle

Some customers may experience a rough idle at different points in a drive cycle. This concern is fairly intermittent and there may or may not be any DTCs set on the vehicle. The service advisor needs to get an accurate description of when it happened. They should also ask about the drive cycle right before the event occurred.Here is a list of questions that should help define the concern:
    • When did you notice the rough idle and how long had the vehicle been running before the rough idle?
    • Did they start this drive from an overnight soak, or after a short cold soak/ short hot soak (like after a quick stop at a store)?
    • How long was the soak period (how long did it sit with engine off before the car was started again and the condition occurred)?
    • Did the customer do anything to make the roughness go away? (For example, turn engine off and on, bring it off idle, then let it idle, drive away and then the next idle the roughness is gone).
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

I would highly recommend using Premium or at least 91oct fuel and not regular. You should notice better MPG and idle by doing so. Though this car can run on 89 it runs at a lower performance and even stats so in the owners manual.

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual

Joel,

I haven't had these problems with my manual ATS. I use premium gas, that may fix the fuel milage. Some have indicated here that mileage improves once the car is broken in a bit.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

I use premium and got 28.7 mpg while lead footing it on a quick trip from S FL up to Virginia, down the Blue Ridge Pkwy, then home. Lots of foot to the floor, then quick braking action.. Then long periods of 75-85 mph on the interstates. I was amazed when I got home and looked at the average for the trip! As far as the manual tranny, at 3500 miles it has smoothed out and shifts like butter. Very happy with the car overall, Just need more HP!

YoshiFD3S is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T Manual, '11 Sonata 2.0T, '94 Mazda RX-7 w/ 2JZ

My only real complaint is how notchy all the gears are.

I hope someone comes out with a short-shifter that will be much smoother.

wongluk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T 6spd
    No issue with 6th gear

No issue with notchiness... Mine was built in may 2013 so I guess they fixed the early manual transmission complaints...

Fuel mileage... After 1000 km, with 50% city driving, my last tank was ~ 9.3l/100km about 25 mpg... Very impressive highway cruising milage though (4-6l/100km)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Switch too premium rough idle and mileage will improve

bluecrayon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None
    I have a 3.6 awd luxury and I can comment on gas mileage and idle. Mileage seems pretty poor to me with the 6 cylinder. Even if I drive very gently, I still only get around 20 with half city half highway....also have a stumble at idle, worse when cold but almost all the time. However, my check engine just came on a couple days ago, so it could all be related. I have an appointment later this week.

marktanner is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Premium 2.0T 6M Black Raven/Caramel

No synchro problems with mine, just occasional balkiness going into third, which is either getting better or I'm getting used to it. I would definitely take it in for that. My idle is never a problem, except for the occasional stall when de-clutching for a stop. My mileage continues to improve at 2500 miles: 34 at 65 average. It does seem to get slightly better mileage with premium, as well as better low RPM performance. I would guess much better hot weather performance, too, as that comes around soon. This drive-train definitely improves with break-in.

cztrammell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Hill Assist. I really hate that feature. If I'm not paying attention, it'll make me nearly stall, if not stall completely.

Gears 1-2 are crappy. I have to be a bit delicate in shifting between them.

Lorne is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 Turbo Performance Manual

Quote Originally Posted by cztrammell View Post
    Hill Assist. I really hate that feature. If I'm not paying attention, it'll make me nearly stall, if not stall completely.

Gears 1-2 are crappy. I have to be a bit delicate in shifting between them.
    I really like the hill assist. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Now if you lived in San Francisco...

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by joelrobison View Post
    Hi all,

I thought that starting a thread on some things I have noticed in the last two weeks of ownership to get a sense if these are typical things or things that should be looked at and corrected. For reference I have a

Here goes!

1. 6th Gear syncro seems weak - sometimes I will get her up to cruizing speed (very politely, no high revving) and 6th will grind, ive even tried double clutching but they key has been to wait for about 4 seconds or so
    yeah 6th gear has a bit of a wait to shift into, but my cobalt had the same thing with 5th, I'm not too worried, as long as its not grinding, grinding signals a serious issue.
    2. fuel milage is a bit lower than expected for the turbo - I drive on some hills in my commute but mostly a large long stretch at 65MPH and I get around 25, again I drive it nicely however I am using regular and not premium gas
    I dunno, I utilize DFCO quite a bit and actually get pretty good mileage, I use premo and average 6L/100km - 8L/100km (29-40MPG) whats interesting is buddy at the track had regular in his 2.0 (cheapskate) and he couldn't keep up with me.. food for thought I guess
    3. sometimes while playing music from my iPhone the sound will cut out for around 3 seconds and then resume - I am using standard trim, no CUE and with a cable connected
    yes I have the regular radio to and I've had this a few times, maybe not for 3 seconds but it does happen, but its not enough to get me mad enough to go wait hours at the dealer over lmao! if you go please tell us what the diagnosis is. Only thing I have to bitch about is sometimes the car doesn't recognize my Iphone and it wont register as connected, but my iPhone says its connected, annoying as hell when it happens.

4. Idle can be really shaky sometimes - this just seems like an oddness rather than a problem, but im happy to ignore it since I know the cam in this 4Cyl is pretty large for what it is.
    Yup its a trait of some DI 4 bangers the turbo cobalt SS' all do it to, toyota has developed a mix of DI and P injection to negate tremble, I personally don't care, Theirs nothing really "Bad" about it, I guess the worst thing it'll do is bug a picky person. I kinda like it lol makes the car shale (yes I'm a young immature guys haha!!) doesn't bug me at all.

5. The cruise control, 5MPH DOWN direction doesnt always work - sometimes when I push all the way down on the 5MPH control on the left part of the steering wheel it only goes 1MPH as the other part of the button doesnt seem to work.
    haven't ever even turned CC on yet haha! I'll try it sometime and report if I find this to

These are just some things I have noticed and wanted to see if people with the same trim/model and others may have noticed something simliar, this could also just be me and my usage.

I want to point out however that I AM VERY VERY HAPPY with this car! I absolutely love it.

-Joel
    but glad you're happy with it, you sound like you have the same car as me haha! I just took mine to the track and it was @#$#@%@ AWESOME!! a true athelete on the twists, had no problem sticking it to the CTS'

I'll admit theirs a few "Quicks" to my car... but nothing I'd call a problem, the tremble presents nothing detrimental, the only thing that I don't like is the USB cutting out once in a long while outright ignoring USB in here and there...but other than that this is a phenomenal car and I absolutely love it!

pragmatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Quote Originally Posted by Lorne View Post
    I really like the hill assist. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Now if you lived in San Francisco...
    I do not have an ATS, but I have found that modern fuel injected cars with manuals are very easy to take off on up hills. My Lincoln's computer idle control will provide enough throttle so that I can keep my right foot on the brake while the left foot releases the clutch until I feel the car's weight shift. I can then release the foot brake (the car will not roll back but may start going up hill) I can then feed more gas and complete the release of the clutch. If I'm willing to take off real slowly I can usually fully release the clutch without feeding any throttle and the car will go up all but the very steepest hills.

Very easy compared to the old brake and throttle with the right foot while the left releases the clutch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.