Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hey guys, posted only a few times but wanted to give some updates on my Black Raven 2.0T AT RWD ...
    breakaway87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury AT

Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts

Hey guys, posted only a few times but wanted to give some updates on my Black Raven 2.0T AT RWD Luxury.

I've had the bnr trifecta tune since break in and while I do like it, I don't feel like it is enough. While comparing Apples to Oranges I had a 2010 Mustang GT before the ATS and when I got it Bamatuned it was a massive difference in throttle response and torque, as well as just the overall feel was way better.

The BNR tune is noticeable but not as great as I had hoped to feel. I have not dyno'ed my car. I tried the AT retune but I didn't like it because of the sloppy, hard shifts. BNR said they could tweak it blind and try to get it better but I've taken it off for now.

The reason I took it off is actually because on start up 3-400 miles ago my ATS would not stay on, I got the reduced engine power message, and check engine light. I flashed my car back to stock (luckily I work at a dealership so I used a car here and ran to my house to grab my laptop) and it worked fine.

I have since flashed the ECU back without the tranny and it is working okay now.

I have been using torque-bhp pro for android to try and get an idea on what kind of power I'm making but the best I can muster fiddling with settings and everything is showing 181 RWTQ at 5k RPM and 181 RWHP at 5k rpm. The highest boost from torque-bhp pro I get is 18 PSI. My settings may not be right but that's what I've gotten. The other thing I forgot which I will update is some numbers from stock data.

Lastly something interesting is that GM's global warranty management does not list the reduced engine power issue. I do have two events that happened, Active Grille Aero Shutter Malfunction in April and an Engine Overheat condition yesterday during the torque-bhp runs from yesterday.

Anyone else using torque-bhp pro, the BNR tune, and some results?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

Re: Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts

When I was running the tune I got a DynoJet dyno increase of 28 rwhp and 45 lb/ft torque. Did noticeably spool up quicker.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway87 View Post
    Hey guys, posted only a few times but wanted to give some updates on my Black Raven 2.0T AT RWD Luxury.

I've had the bnr trifecta tune since break in and while I do like it, I don't feel like it is enough. While comparing Apples to Oranges I had a 2010 Mustang GT before the ATS and when I got it Bamatuned it was a massive difference in throttle response and torque, as well as just the overall feel was way better.

The BNR tune is noticeable but not as great as I had hoped to feel. I have not dyno'ed my car. I tried the AT retune but I didn't like it because of the sloppy, hard shifts. BNR said they could tweak it blind and try to get it better but I've taken it off for now.

The reason I took it off is actually because on start up 3-400 miles ago my ATS would not stay on, I got the reduced engine power message, and check engine light. I flashed my car back to stock (luckily I work at a dealership so I used a car here and ran to my house to grab my laptop) and it worked fine.

I have since flashed the ECU back without the tranny and it is working okay now.

I have been using torque-bhp pro for android to try and get an idea on what kind of power I'm making but the best I can muster fiddling with settings and everything is showing 181 RWTQ at 5k RPM and 181 RWHP at 5k rpm. The highest boost from torque-bhp pro I get is 18 PSI. My settings may not be right but that's what I've gotten. The other thing I forgot which I will update is some numbers from stock data.

Lastly something interesting is that GM's global warranty management does not list the reduced engine power issue. I do have two events that happened, Active Grille Aero Shutter Malfunction in April and an Engine Overheat condition yesterday during the torque-bhp runs from yesterday.

Anyone else using torque-bhp pro, the BNR tune, and some results?
    thats funny cuz i havent flashed the tune yet and completely stock, on 91 octane, with the torque-pro app i got 200 RWHP one time. and 186 RWHP another time. this is all 100% stock. i just have an exhaust but i doubt that makes any difference. as far as boost goes, ive never gone over 16 psi with said app.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

to be honest sometimes i leave the car in turing mode and it hrdley feels slower. The tune is ok but would definetely like to feel more responce. I am sure BMR can update the file and send it out to us . it should not be a big deal. Especially if GM claims new Regal and malibu will have 295 tq from the factory.

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

I have used the torque pro ap and it was ok but not supported very well and am not convinced the data is always correct. I have 2 other devices with much better results.Both gave same data as my old dashhawk. The one I like best is the Dashboss which is a OBDII Bluetooth plugin that talks to most any Apple device like iphone, ipad or ipod. It can log and better yet u can view on plot on device, email data, plot out on paper with Datplot. Your boost levels are low. u should see 21 -22 psi and ushould look for the "delivered torque" pid on torque pro and log it. It is a very accurate calc of torque and I am seeing 335 ft# with some spikes higher and car is a rocket.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    to be honest sometimes i leave the car in turing mode and it hrdley feels slower. The tune is ok but would definetely like to feel more responce. I am sure BMR can update the file and send it out to us . it should not be a big deal. Especially if GM claims new Regal and malibu will have 295 tq from the factory.
    maybe u can get BNR to give u a more aggressive tune? im currently in the process of asking for it but it doesnt seem as smooth as i expected. still no straight answer. but hopefully they get me a more aggressive tune for 94 octane or 95. i plan to run a mix of 91 and 100 at all times with a minimum of 95.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

For me it's a simple flash as far as results go. I'm now getting a taste of what I NEED!
    I believe heat soak plays an issue. This engine runs hot. WOW!

I regularly check my oil and I'm amazed at the heat coming off the motor.
    Bigger intercooler may help but I don't know?

This tune is a great place to begin SAFELY. also it has been said that removing the stock downpipe is a
    Passive mod but IMO its right after the turbo. So it must be a huge source of restriction and heat?.

With a tune + bigger front mount intercooler+ catted high flow downpipe or catless = this is where you feel a solid 80-100 tq gain. If the injectors can handle it an intake too! Don't know where they will max out?
    Tuners?

Pfadt, in an earlier post, said they gained 15 hp with the downpipe on a stock engine. This is the type of incremental increase I am looking for. Add in the front mounted I-C and a retune and the power will be there.

turbo2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

I agree with you that the BNR tune is not mind blowing, the car falls on its face around 5k. I am currently looking for the next big thing.

BNRacing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Is it hot where you guys are? These cars are really affected by heat and elevation, I mean I'll put it this way, my LNF Cobalt SS will burn the tires off it all the way to 3rd in the winter, but in the summer it will only chirp 2nd gear. We get people calling all the time during the winter telling us how amazing the car is and then they call us during the summer and say they think the tune is gone from the car. The stock intercooler on these things is garbage for high boost, they heat soak so quickly, and once they get hot they pull timing. I think PFADT needs to release that intercooler quick!

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Quote Originally Posted by BNRacing View Post
    Is it hot where you guys are? These cars are really affected by heat and elevation, I mean I'll put it this way, my LNF Cobalt SS will burn the tires off it all the way to 3rd in the winter, but in the summer it will only chirp 2nd gear. We get people calling all the time during the winter telling us how amazing the car is and then they call us during the summer and say they think the tune is gone from the car. The stock intercooler on these things is garbage for high boost, they heat soak so quickly, and once they get hot they pull timing. I think PFADT needs to release that intercooler quick!
    The temp has a lot to do with it but if you are running high performance summer tires they have no traction below 5o degrees. My GTO will do the same thing and its naturally aspirated.

BNRacing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

I know that, I'm talking mid 60s, maybe low 70s here in south FL. Hell even at night during the summer it's a whole different car. These factory turbo cars just don't go when it gets real hot outside.

The engine compartment does get very warm with the boosted engine and turbo churning out heat. Can't pull the oil dipstick without a rag. Could use an aftermarket louvered hood to extract that heat. Does the performance 2.0T manual come with an oil cooler? Anyone? Larger FMIC isn't going to reduce this heat, just the charged air.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesul View Post
    The engine compartment does get very warm with the boosted engine and turbo churning out heat. Can't pull the oil dipstick without a rag. Could use an aftermarket louvered hood to extract that heat. Does the performance 2.0T manual come with an oil cooler? Anyone? Larger FMIC isn't going to reduce this heat, just the charged air.
    Bingo! Reduced charged air temps FTW

turbo2.0 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

it was a 70 degree day for me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.