Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts - Page 4
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My ATS is very quick now and pretty sure I hits 60 mph in 2nd....
    Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

Re: Update at 4k miles / BNR Tune thoughts

My ATS is very quick now and pretty sure I hits 60 mph in 2nd.

BLitzkrieg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway87 View Post
    Hey guys, posted only a few times but wanted to give some updates on my Black Raven 2.0T AT RWD Luxury.

I've had the bnr trifecta tune since break in and while I do like it, I don't feel like it is enough. While comparing Apples to Oranges I had a 2010 Mustang GT before the ATS and when I got it Bamatuned it was a massive difference in throttle response and torque, as well as just the overall feel was way better.

The BNR tune is noticeable but not as great as I had hoped to feel. I have not dyno'ed my car. I tried the AT retune but I didn't like it because of the sloppy, hard shifts. BNR said they could tweak it blind and try to get it better but I've taken it off for now.

The reason I took it off is actually because on start up 3-400 miles ago my ATS would not stay on, I got the reduced engine power message, and check engine light. I flashed my car back to stock (luckily I work at a dealership so I used a car here and ran to my house to grab my laptop) and it worked fine.

I have since flashed the ECU back without the tranny and it is working okay now.

I have been using torque-bhp pro for android to try and get an idea on what kind of power I'm making but the best I can muster fiddling with settings and everything is showing 181 RWTQ at 5k RPM and 181 RWHP at 5k rpm. The highest boost from torque-bhp pro I get is 18 PSI. My settings may not be right but that's what I've gotten. The other thing I forgot which I will update is some numbers from stock data.

Lastly something interesting is that GM's global warranty management does not list the reduced engine power issue. I do have two events that happened, Active Grille Aero Shutter Malfunction in April and an Engine Overheat condition yesterday during the torque-bhp runs from yesterday.

Anyone else using torque-bhp pro, the BNR tune, and some results?
    They blamed this hard shifting on my intake. I called BS due to the flawless performance of the intake with the stock tune....

----------

Here is a datalog of my car with the Trifecta tune. In the datalog I am showing throttle position, Engine RPM, and Vehicle Speed. The area I circled is the slip/bang transmission shifts I am experiencing under part throttle and Wide Open Throttle (WOT).

I believed this to be related to TCM tuning with higher line pressures affecting the torque converter lockup. When I brought this to WOT-Tuning, they blamed my intake as the issue. Now there was an initial issue with the intake, but I corrected this issue with flow straighteners next to the MAF sensor. I datalogged before and after the addition of the flow straighteners showing the correction working.

I also was not impressed with the difference in power. Sometimes its there (I guess) and sometimes its not. I too was flipping back and forth with the sport/touring trying to see a difference and it was minimal. The only time it was noticeable is during very cold ambient temperatures 50*F or less. That is when I took this datalog showing the best increases.

Here are some runs I did on the same stretch of road on the same day in the same direction. The first is with the car in Touring mode. The second is with the car in Sport mode.

One other thing I would like to point out is that the transmission tune functions whether the car is in sport or touring. The slip/bang shift occurs in both states. Once again these issues don't happen with the stock tune at all. The car behaves flawlessly.

sonny@bnr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    The power readings on the cruze app are not accurate at all. It reads 500+tq for my verano turbo lol

My cobb ACCESS PORT would read 475 hp on my stage 1 flash.

Anyway. Guys my first tune was MEH:/. The updated tune is potent my ATS IS FAST NOW!.im gonna throw her on a mustang dyno and see.this tune now reminds me of my when my STI went from stock to stage 2 on stock engine. Dunno what to think about original TRIFECTA TUNE BUT IN HAPPY NOW

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    My cobb ACCESS PORT would read 475 hp on my stage 1 flash.

Anyway. Guys my first tune was MEH:/. The updated tune is potent my ATS IS FAST NOW!.im gonna throw her on a mustang dyno and see.this tune now reminds me of my when my STI went from stock to stage 2 on stock engine. Dunno what to think about original TRIFECTA TUNE BUT IN HAPPY NOW
    good to hear that its still good for u. mine so far is bad. i partially think thats because i am running high octane gas and the tune is made for 91? no idea. i put 100 octane mainly cuz i was worried and wanted to be as safe as possible when i installed the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    good to hear that its still good for u. mine so far is bad. i partially think thats because i am running high octane gas and the tune is made for 91? no idea. i put 100 octane mainly cuz i was worried and wanted to be as safe as possible when i installed the tune.
    I'm gonna datalog first and see trifecta says. I'm running 94 only and now my front end stands up on pulls

frankc5r is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2.0 ATS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Siren05 View Post
    I'm gonna datalog first and see trifecta says. I'm running 94 only and now my front end stands up on pulls
    Same thing. When mine is showing 350ft# on Dashboss, the front end lifts hard.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway87 View Post
    Lastly something interesting is that GM's global warranty management does not list the reduced engine power issue. I do have two events that happened, Active Grille Aero Shutter Malfunction in April and an Engine Overheat condition yesterday during the torque-bhp runs from yesterday.
    I've been curious about the global warranty management program as I've never had the chance to really find white papers about it and what it does in the case of an individual vehicle - but I find it interesting that it can see things like malfunctions, overheats etc (which I'm actually curious what shows up on my car) but it doesn't record/detect flashing of the ECU? Seems like an oversight, no?

breakaway87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Luxury AT

I don't have full service permissions since I am in sales but the IVR portion of GWM doesn't show anything except high level stuff really. Open issues and history regarding the car whether it be recalls or stuff OnStar has found. Also shows if the warranty is voided, when it was delivered and PDI'ed, etc.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by KXAM View Post
    Obviously, I left myself open to responses like the above...I did it on purpose! So, there is no answer from Hoosier Daddy as to why some want to get more hp out of an ATS! If So you can go into an s curve with more g's, oh happy day, in a sedan...!! If you don't want to tune for more speed, then why the hell do it? For bragging rights, like a bench racer..now that is stupid! By getting close to me, I meant hp wise, nothing else. What does turning and stopping have to do with increased hp?! Are you implying some ATS owners track their cars??? Then why not buy the V6 ATS...??!!! Most of you must be kids with money looking for I don't know what....
    And what, only one know-it-all done-it-all response!!
    I do track my ATS and I'm right on the V's heels on the corners and I'll have you know I was taking in the CTS's left right and center.

Theirs nothing wrong with 4bangers anyways, hell F1 is developing 600+hp 4cyl engines. Theirs Cobalt SS turbo's that were running with C6's and stomping mustangs with little issue.

I think you're a goof and if you knew ANYTHING about the capabilities of these new generation turbo 4's you wouldn't even be asking why we'd want more power from them. Because with a simple tune you can stick it to the 6 with no issue. This engine is better bang for your buck then the V6

Besides what the hell's wrong with sedans? I wouldn't mind owning any of these.

roadpie4u is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0 M6 FE3

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Theirs nothing wrong with 4bangers anyways, hell F1 is developing 600+hp 4cyl engines. Theirs Cobalt SS turbo's that were running with C6's and stomping mustangs with little issue.

I think you're a goof and if you knew ANYTHING about the capabilities of these new generation turbo 4's you wouldn't even be asking why we'd want more power from them. Because with a simple tune you can stick it to the 6 with no issue. This engine is better bang for your buck then the V6

Besides what the hell's wrong with sedans? I wouldn't mind owning any of these.
    During the insane years of F1 before turbochargers were banned, BMW managed to squeeze out well over a thousand horsepower from a turbo 4 - potential is all in the eye of the beholder - and having an engine built for boost is easy to tweak and mod while an engine built for lightweight NA performance takes more work to increase output. I'll sidestep which is "better", a 300HP N/A or 300HP turbo because that is subjective - but the only consideration that cannot be ignored or denied is sound - but between the 2.0T and the 3.6L, neither is a "great" sounding engine in my ear, but usually (usually) 4 cylinders always drone and sound kinda lame. The only exception is the Subaru boxer 4 cylinder in my mind.

I, for one, am glad that the turbo4 is becoming a larger mainstay of vehicles - and while I wish the ATS had more power - my complaint isn't the 270HP - its that from 4000rpm to redline the power is flat and sound is flat. There is no sense of wanting to be rev'd higher and harder. No drama. No excitement. GM did that with a small turbo to make the engine smooth in power delivery and make it refined. They succeeded - but I still hold out they'll correct it with some GMPP goodies. If not, BNR/Trifecta have already proven they are capable of filling the void.
    donavo, bungee91 and Siren05 like this.

Holy hijacked thread:|

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

[QUOTE=Siren05;3607825]Holy hijacked thread:|[/QUOTE

TRUE THAT!

back to the tune, a quick question is the tune VIN locked, or is it moveable to the next lease

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

its vin locked

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    its vin locked
    OK, leased car means it's a throwaway (I'm sure the bank doesn't want a tune). ok, $395 for tune, plus $150 for cable equals $545 divided by 36 months equals $15.14 a month smile subcription. HMMM, thinking, thinking ....... i would need to buy a notebook too, Damnit, I want the power, but i don't want the annoyed wife, decisions, decisions

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.