Wind Buffeting
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By thebigjimsho
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Wind Buffeting in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; My wife mentioned that she inadvertently lowered the rear window in her ATS when traveling about 50 mph and experienced ...
    desertpar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Wind Buffeting

My wife mentioned that she inadvertently lowered the rear window in her ATS when traveling about 50 mph and experienced severe wind buffeting throughout the car. I drove the car and lowered both rear windows when traveling about the same speed and noted severe low frequency booming and buffeting. I was just curious if this has been mentioned before or if anyone else has noticed this. It was extremely loud and distracting. Obviously we normally don't drive with the rear windows down and my wife loves her car but I wonder if this is a normal occurrence. I also tested my CTS and it also has some buffeting under the same circumstances, but not quite as severe, so it must be a common phenomenon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL
    Quote Originally Posted by desertpar View Post
    My wife mentioned that she inadvertently lowered the rear window in her ATS when traveling about 50 mph and experienced severe wind buffeting throughout the car. I drove the car and lowered both rear windows when traveling about the same speed and noted severe low frequency booming and buffeting. I was just curious if this has been mentioned before or if anyone else has noticed this. It was extremely loud and distracting. Obviously we normally don't drive with the rear windows down and my wife loves her car but I wonder if this is a normal occurrence. I also tested my CTS and it also has some buffeting under the same circumstances, but not quite as severe, so it must be a common phenomenon.
    I think that's mentioned in the manual. The aerodynamics of the car I'd extremely well engineered. Back windows open interferes with it in a certain way that causes the booming. Completely normal

Bertha D Blues is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Re: Wind Buffeting

I have had the same issue with other cars going back to 2005. It's not unique to Cadillac. FYI, before 2005 I was driving 2-door pickups.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

You're driving at high speed with the windows down and wondering why theirs heavy wind buffeting?! I dont even know how to respond to this

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    You're driving at high speed with the windows down and wondering why theirs heavy wind buffeting?! I dont even know how to respond to this
    i know what hes talking about. if u have ur front windows closed and the back windows open, theres a very booming, low frequency buffeting sound. i know its not unique to cadillac obviously. but most cars ive been in didnt do that. so i guess hes not used to it thats why hes concerned.

desertpar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Thanks to most of you for your responses. I checked page 2-21 of the Owners Manual which refers to a "pulsing sound" when either rear window is down and the front windows are up. This is obviously not the way we normally drive but the extent of the buffeting aroused our curiosity. We have chalked it up to vehicle aerodynamics. Regards.

z06bigbird is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Sedan de Ville, CTS

Remember all the older cars (especially coupes) that had solid unmovable rear windows. That design stopped the noise level until people complained about those windows poping out (on a fairly regular basis). Those cars were primarily entry level cars and not lux cars, methinks.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Want to get rid of it? Let each front window down an inch...
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Vernon Cooke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    My Audi A4 produced the same acoustic resonance with sunroof open and one front window open. Audi sent out a bulletin advising owners to open rear windows.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Thank goodness someone finally posted about this. It's so sad to not be able to drive on the freeway with the windows open just because of this. With BMW coupes this was never an issue. With their sedans, the easy work around was to lower both front and rear windows. With caddy there is no work around. Still like the car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.