ATS 2.0T vs BMW X5 v8
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By thebigjimsho
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, ATS 2.0T vs BMW X5 v8 in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; just raced an X5 at work. X5 had a 4.4 V8. mine is manual and im not exactly the best ...
    donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

ATS 2.0T vs BMW X5 v8

just raced an X5 at work. X5 had a 4.4 V8. mine is manual and im not exactly the best driver. i didnt launch, i had a passanger and he didnt. and with all that, we were pretty even. his was an automatic so all he did is full throttle and thats it. no shifting. i probably didnt do perfect shifts. on that run my 0-60 was exactly 7 seconds. i was a little disapointed in my driving. i might have done better if i had the automatic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Re: ATS 2.0T vs BMW X5 v8

well the first gens V8 only had like 315HP, but that was after an update, before that it was only 280 something lol, the newer ones have 400 IIRC, (Save for the 550hp Mseries)

so it doesn't surprise me that you were neck and neck, he has more power int he v8, but its heavy as all hell.

Still. I feel like I should have beat him easily. This car is rated at 6.0 second from 0-60. And the BMW is at 6.9. So I should have been faster.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo
    well the first gens V8 only had like 315HP, but that was after an update, before that it was only 280 something lol, the newer ones have 400 IIRC, (Save for the 550hp Mseries)

so it doesn't surprise me that you were neck and neck, he has more power int he v8, but its heavy as all hell.
    That is correct. The previous version would do 0-60 in 7 seconds. See the C&D link I posted below.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test

The 2011 - 2013 models got a boost in power.

We have a 2011 X5 3.5i which really has the 3.0 turbo I6 (can't understand BMW badging). BMW has long been suspected of under stating their HP ratings. The turbo I6 is rated at 300HP and 300 lb/ft tq. 0-60 is around 6.1 seconds. The 5.0 is rated at 400 HP (don't remember torque) and it will do 0-60 at around 5.4. These vehicles weigh well over 5,000 lbs and they all have AWD which makes these numbers more impressive.

This was our first ever BMW and I always wondered if the hype over these vehicles was justified. I think it is. I am really pleased with it so far. It really pulls hard and it corners flat with a nice firm ride. It's my wife's daily drIver so I don't drIve it regularly, but I really do enjoy driving it when I do. It handles better than many sports sedans I have driven. We went to a work function last night and took it to the event. On the way home I took some highway cloverleafs and ramps a bit aggressively and it still brings a smile to my face.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    Still. I feel like I should have beat him easily. This car is rated at 6.0 second from 0-60. And the BMW is at 6.9. So I should have been faster.
    Why are you looking at 0-60 when street start stats are much more important? Look for 5-60. You have turbo lag. He doesn't.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post

Why are you looking at 0-60 when street start stats are much more important? Look for 5-60. You have turbo lag. He doesn't.
    I'm sure the 0-60 times reported for the ATS 2.0t by several reviewers took turbo lag into account. Even without launch. But regardless of all that, I still should have beat him.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Everyone struggles to meet mfg claims in a manual, it sounds to me like you did just fine.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post

I'm sure the 0-60 times reported for the ATS 2.0t by several reviewers took turbo lag into account. Even without launch. But regardless of all that, I still should have beat him.
    donavo, by your posts today its obvious your a little green to the performance aspects of cars, in general.

Here is how things work:

On a 0-60 run, that is like a launch at a drag strip. On a manual, dumping the clutch to induce wheelspin is used to get the best launch. Do a 0-60 in public and the police will take interest.

So, many magazines use what's called a "street start". That is a 5-60 test. This eliminates clutch dumping and by taking out that skill is more indicative of the normal stoplight drag race.

And the difference can be huge. A car without boost and a lot of torque down low, such as a big V8, will have a very small difference between 0-60 and 5-60. Some cars, such as ones with smaller boosted engines, can have a difference of over a second.

No one can "take into account" turbo lag in a 0-60 start. It's strictly by stopwatch...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    donavo, by your posts today its obvious your a little green to the performance aspects of cars, in general.

Here is how things work:

On a 0-60 run, that is like a launch at a drag strip. On a manual, dumping the clutch to induce wheelspin is used to get the best launch. Do a 0-60 in public and the police will take interest.

So, many magazines use what's called a "street start". That is a 5-60 test. This eliminates clutch dumping and by taking out that skill is more indicative of the normal stoplight drag race.

And the difference can be huge. A car without boost and a lot of torque down low, such as a big V8, will have a very small difference between 0-60 and 5-60. Some cars, such as ones with smaller boosted engines, can have a difference of over a second.

No one can "take into account" turbo lag in a 0-60 start. It's strictly by stopwatch...
    took the words right outta my mouth lol although nothin like a little brake boosting at 5mph then sling shotting off hehe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.