I want 2014 Malibu 2.0t torque
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, I want 2014 Malibu 2.0t torque in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Malibu to have 295 ft lb out of the box....think GM will tune my ATS - will pay. Can't loose ...
    Dave3283 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS, 2.0t - Performance

I want 2014 Malibu 2.0t torque

Malibu to have 295 ft lb out of the box....think GM will tune my ATS - will pay.
    Can't loose straight line run to a Malibu.
    stevenzoz and stevenzoz like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rifle and rucksack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS
    Wow, I believe that's more than the 3.6! W.t.h!

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Re: I want 2014 Malibu 2.0t torque

Actually the same torque as a Lotus Esprit V8 3.5L Twin Turbo... there was a time when this was a super car...

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Peak HP or peak torque don't matter as much as the area under the curve, especially for turbo motors where the curves are artificially manipulated by computer.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

get a tne from BNR you will be all set

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Daddy View Post
    Peak HP or peak torque don't matter as much as the area under the curve, especially for turbo motors where the curves are artificially manipulated by computer.
    Please 'splain. Most specifically the part about "especially for turbo motors where the curves are artificially manipulated by computer". I just know the Esprit V8 feels like it has a boatload of useable torque, a ton of pull, and some 0-60 spec of under 5 seconds. I will add that in driving the opposite of the spectrum, a rotary engine @ 158 lb/ft peak torque, I was never left wanting for performance with that engine either, because the torque (or at least from a feel perspective, the "pull") never seemed to peak.

This is not a challenge: I honestly don't fully appreciate/understand the practical aspects of torque figures.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3283 View Post
    Malibu to have 295 ft lb out of the box....think GM will tune my ATS - will pay.
    Can't loose straight line run to a Malibu.
    wait....GM can tune the ATS? if u pay them, theyll tune it and cover any damage caused?

Quote Originally Posted by donavo View Post
    wait....GM can tune the ATS? if u pay them, theyll tune it and cover any damage caused?
    Seriously????

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Please 'splain. Most specifically the part about "especially for turbo motors where the curves are artificially manipulated by computer". I just know the Esprit V8 feels like it has a boatload of useable torque, a ton of pull, and some 0-60 spec of under 5 seconds. I will add that in driving the opposite of the spectrum, a rotary engine @ 158 lb/ft peak torque, I was never left wanting for performance with that engine either, because the torque (or at least from a feel perspective, the "pull") never seemed to peak.

This is not a challenge: I honestly don't fully appreciate/understand the practical aspects of torque figures.
    Okay. A peak torque figure includes the specific RPM it was achieved at. Same for HP. But unless you have a CVT, you have to go thru a range of RPMs to accelerate your car. The average amount (over time) during that range of RPMs determines how quickly you accelerate. So a car producing exactly X over that range will win over one that starts very low but peaks higher than the first provided the average is higher. So its the area under the torque and HP curves for the RPMs used that really matter. To project which of two cars would win a contest (all other things being equal), you need to determine just what RPMs would be used during the accelleration. If multiple gears are involved, it get more complicated because the starting RPM can change after each upshift and the optimal ending RPM may change too because essentially you want to shift when the overall torque for the next higher gear matches the torque of the current geat and that will change for each gear because the torque curve for that gear is the engine torque curve multiplied by the gear ratios involved.

A naturally aspirated engine designed to propel a car using a traditional transmission will naturally have a very pronounced horsepower and torque curve. By varying the boost, a turbo motor can be designed to have a flat or pretty much any shape curve the designers want. And in fact, the ATS, Buick, and Malibu 2.0Ts work that way. The ATS is programmed to produce maximum torque over a VERY wide portion of the power band. It does that by using a turbo that can produce the high torque at low RPMs and then throwing away the excess torque at higher RPMs. The flat power band is why the 2.0T is so much more satisfying to drive than either of the naturally aspirated engines.

mikesul is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T manual Thunder Gray

That 295# of torque is just like the Buick Regal GS, must be the same engine set up the same way.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Its still fail wheel drive, he'll be spinning his tires by the time you've pulled a car length on him.

Siren05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T RWD. 2011 STI Hatchback.

For example my STI LAYS down 400awtq from 2700 rpm thru 5500rpm on my street tune.
    We turned it down for the track. As I run 100% all the time on the track.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

Just checked the latest update to the ats order guide which was 6 days ago.
    Ats still at 260 torque. Ats has the LTG motor. Does the 14 Malibu have the GS motor or are they all the same now?

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    Just checked the latest update to the ats order guide which was 6 days ago.
    Ats still at 260 torque. Ats has the LTG motor. Does the 14 Malibu have the GS motor or are they all the same now?
    While the press release's don't specify an origin for the increase, considering that this was a very fast MY revision. You can bet it's software related.

I could see this might go both ways.

On the one hand, there's likely no reason they couldn't give the ATS the same power bump(there by crushing the 328i's 'lowballed figures') but on the other hand, wherein the Malibu is strickly a commutter, the ATS is supposed to be a fine sports sedan. The LTG in the ATS already has a bit of lag and a non-linear feel. Adding more torque might exasperate the issue.

There's also the fact that the LTG in the Malibu is the top-trim engine. The 3.6 in the ATS however, would be under-mined by the middle-spec engine and would likely endup being slower than the 2.0T.

That reason alone I suspect, will be why the LTG in the ATS remains at 260.

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    I believe the CTS with the 2.0T had the same TQ figure as the Malibu, and it certainly isn't the top trim for that vehicle.
    HandletheTruth likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.