Power steering failure
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Power steering failure in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I got this message the other day upon getting into my car that had been idling for about 5 minutes ...
  1. #1
    torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    141

    Power steering failure

    I got this message the other day upon getting into my car that had been idling for about 5 minutes in 85 degree heat -



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Sure enough, my power steering was gone! I turned the car off and restarted and the power steering came back. I called caddy but they didn't have an appointment for 2 weeks! They wanted me to "stop in" and let them take a quick look but when I went there, there was a line of cars at 7:30am and I didn't have time to wait. It hasn't happened since. Has anyone else experienced this?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NORTHERN NEW YORK
    Posts
    79

    Re: Power steering failure

    Take a look at this site:

    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners

    There have been two complaints and also I seem to recall seeing an earlier thread on this subject. Might try a search

  4. #3
    SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    32
    Posts
    357

    Re: Power steering failure

    Yep had it with ours. There's a software update for it.

  5. #4
    investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    674

    Re: Power steering failure

    I would escalate this. You have a safety issue here and need an appointment. Don't take no for an answer. You have priority over appointments for squeaks and rattles. Make sure they know what your problem is.

  6. #5
    torkibe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 3.6
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    141
    Thread Starter

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by MASCAD View Post
    Take a look at this site:

    http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners

    There have been two complaints and also I seem to recall seeing an earlier thread on this subject. Might try a search
    You know what's funny? I did search. I went back to search again and realized I initially spelled steering as "steeering" so nothing came up, lol.
    MASCAD and MASCAD like this.

  7. #6
    rustybear3's Avatar
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,220

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Yep had it with ours. There's a software update for it.
    What kind of fault did you experience? I only notice it come on once in awhile when making hard turns with wheels backing out or in of a tough parking spot...dealer had said this will happen when you "bind" wheels in a hard turn?.......

  8. #7
    SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    32
    Posts
    357

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
    What kind of fault did you experience? I only notice it come on once in awhile when making hard turns with wheels backing out or in of a tough parking spot...dealer had said this will happen when you "bind" wheels in a hard turn?.......
    We had a very similar experience as the OP. Turned the car off to get gas, restarted it, got the message, tried to turn the wheel (no power steering), restarted the car and it was normal.

    I don't know wtf the dealer is talking about with the wheels "binding". Binding only occurs when a differential is locked. In something like the ATS it should never be locked in a situation such as reversing normally out of a parking space.

  9. #8
    MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NORTHERN NEW YORK
    Posts
    79

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    We had a very similar experience as the OP. Turned the car off to get gas, restarted it, got the message, tried to turn the wheel (no power steering), restarted the car and it was normal.

    I don't know wtf the dealer is talking about with the wheels "binding". Binding only occurs when a differential is locked. In something like the ATS it should never be locked in a situation such as reversing normally out of a parking space.
    Thinking the dealer is calling turning with the front wheels hard against the stop as "binding"

  10. #9
    msheikh25 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28

    Re: Power steering failure

    Last night when leaving work, I got an error message about one of the head lights "low beam light failure" (forget if it was left or right). I dismissed the message but afterwards one of the indicators came on and stayed on the whole time I was on the highway. I tried to turn the lights on/off a few times but the indicator would not go away but from what I could tell though, the lights both seemed to be on. So when I got to a red light, I quickly turned the car off and then back on. Again, the light failure message came on and the indicator came on as well and this time I also got this "power steering failure". I pulled over and stopped the car for a minute. Checked the lights from the outside by using the remote unlock (which turns on ur headlights for a min. as well). Lights looked fine so I got back in, started it back up and this time everything was good. No errors the rest of the way. I drove it to work again this morning without any errors.

    I don't understand the light failure, but the powersteering failure to me seemed to be caused by turning the car off/on too quickly possibly. Seemed like the software couldn't handle that quick change. My car is 2 months/2600 miles in btw and have been happy with it for the most part otherwise. Below are the other small things I have noticed so far which I think have all been reported here:
    1) Jerks a bit sometimes when idiling at a red light
    2) Memory seats are flaky if u use the option to change them at every door open or start
    3) If you change the volume and then immediately try to change the radio station to another preset using steering controls, it doesnt seem to go in the right direction (I think only happens when you press down)
    4) When car is first started, it idles at a higher RPM (around 1500) for about 10-20 seconds before it settles down to under 1000.

  11. #10
    SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    32
    Posts
    357

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
    I don't understand the light failure, but the powersteering failure to me seemed to be caused by turning the car off/on too quickly possibly. Seemed like the software couldn't handle that quick change. My car is 2 months/2600 miles in btw and have been happy with it for the most part otherwise. Below are the other small things I have noticed so far which I think have all been reported here:
    1) Jerks a bit sometimes when idiling at a red light
    2) Memory seats are flaky if u use the option to change them at every door open or start
    3) If you change the volume and then immediately try to change the radio station to another preset using steering controls, it doesnt seem to go in the right direction (I think only happens when you press down)
    4) When car is first started, it idles at a higher RPM (around 1500) for about 10-20 seconds before it settles down to under 1000.
    1 - 3 are all known issues. Many threads about them already.

    #4 describes every vehicle I've ever started up on a cold start. Totally normal.

  12. #11
    bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    North Aurora, IL
    Posts
    335
    I had the power steering failure previously many times. My dealership replaced the steering gear and it has been fixed ever since.


    As for the low beam service failure, I receive this at initial start up once in a while. Sometimes the light is out, others it's not. My dealer has confirmed it also and GM knows about it, however they supposedly don't have a fix right now for early build cars like mine.
    msheikh25 and msheikh25 like this.

  13. #12
    msheikh25 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    28

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    1 - 3 are all known issues. Many threads about them already.

    #4 describes every vehicle I've ever started up on a cold start. Totally normal.
    Every car does #4 but I don't think I've ever had a car that does it this long (usually more like 2 to 3 second rather than the 10 to 20 seconds I noticed on my ats) . I'm usually ready to put it in drive and go add soon as I start but can't really do that with this car or it jerks forward too hard...lol. Not a big deal but just another observation of the ats over the last couple of months if ownership.

  14. #13
    stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Age
    24
    Posts
    96
    I have had the low beam failure error message. Only once so far. I also got one for the adaptive light control, along with an illuminated icon in the speedo. This also happened once. Having the dealer look at it next week when they install my spoiler

  15. #14
    MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NORTHERN NEW YORK
    Posts
    79

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
    Every car does #4 but I don't think I've ever had a car that does it this long (usually more like 2 to 3 second rather than the 10 to 20 seconds I noticed on my ats) . I'm usually ready to put it in drive and go add soon as I start but can't really do that with this car or it jerks forward too hard...lol. Not a big deal but just another observation of the ats over the last couple of months if ownership.
    The length of time of high idle is highly dependent on ambient temperature among many other parameters and the 10 to 20 seconds you're seeing doesn't seem to be excessive and is typical of both the 3.6 DI engines that I've had. Did you ever have a car with a carburetor and a "automatic choke"? High idle would be more like minutes not seconds back then.

  16. #15
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,790

    Re: Power steering failure

    Quote Originally Posted by torkibe View Post
    I got this message the other day upon getting into my car that had been idling for about 5 minutes in 85 degree heat -



    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

    Sure enough, my power steering was gone! I turned the car off and restarted and the power steering came back. I called caddy but they didn't have an appointment for 2 weeks! They wanted me to "stop in" and let them take a quick look but when I went there, there was a line of cars at 7:30am and I didn't have time to wait. It hasn't happened since. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Hello torkibe,

    Have you spoken to the dealership again to try and make an appointment? I could call and attempt to set up an appointment for you to see if I would be able to get you in sooner. I can’t promise I will have any better luck, but I would be more than happy to try. If you would like I could call another dealership for you and set up an appointment as well. Please private message me if you would like my assistance.

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by msheikh25 View Post
    Last night when leaving work, I got an error message about one of the head lights "low beam light failure" (forget if it was left or right). I dismissed the message but afterwards one of the indicators came on and stayed on the whole time I was on the highway. I tried to turn the lights on/off a few times but the indicator would not go away but from what I could tell though, the lights both seemed to be on. So when I got to a red light, I quickly turned the car off and then back on. Again, the light failure message came on and the indicator came on as well and this time I also got this "power steering failure". I pulled over and stopped the car for a minute. Checked the lights from the outside by using the remote unlock (which turns on ur headlights for a min. as well). Lights looked fine so I got back in, started it back up and this time everything was good. No errors the rest of the way. I drove it to work again this morning without any errors.

    I don't understand the light failure, but the powersteering failure to me seemed to be caused by turning the car off/on too quickly possibly. Seemed like the software couldn't handle that quick change. My car is 2 months/2600 miles in btw and have been happy with it for the most part otherwise. Below are the other small things I have noticed so far which I think have all been reported here:
    1) Jerks a bit sometimes when idiling at a red light
    2) Memory seats are flaky if u use the option to change them at every door open or start
    3) If you change the volume and then immediately try to change the radio station to another preset using steering controls, it doesnt seem to go in the right direction (I think only happens when you press down)
    4) When car is first started, it idles at a higher RPM (around 1500) for about 10-20 seconds before it settles down to under 1000.
    Hello msheikh25,

    I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your ATS showing the “low beam light failure” message. If you are having concerns about this and would like my assistance in working with the dealership, please send me a private message. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, and dealership you would like to be in contact with. Thank you very much for your time.

    Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting