Pandora CAN be bluetoothed on I-Phones.
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By blue_skies
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Pandora CAN be bluetoothed on I-Phones. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I actually discovered this by mistake. As most I-Phone owners know, in order to fully use Pandora, you must physically ...
    rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Pandora CAN be bluetoothed on I-Phones.

I actually discovered this by mistake. As most I-Phone owners know, in order to fully use Pandora, you must physically hook up your phone through the USB port connection. I found out by mistake, that you can also use your wirelesss, bluetooth function to play the station of your choice. Not realizing that I had my Pandora running on my phone, as I flip through the media button on my CUE, I had chosen my I-phone bluetooth connection to play songs I had on the phone. It instead started playing the Pandora station I had selected on my phone! You can even skip to new songs, just as you could if it were hard wired. The only functions you don't have is the thumbs up ability (who cares), artwork, and your must still browse stations manually on the phone itself, if you want to switch. It also lists the artist and name of song on your CUE display. Yea!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Pandora CAN be bluetoothed on I-Phones.

that's really good info ... sounds like a good compromise of features

nice to know that they didn't lock it out (as many had suspected)
    it's just that the bluetooth connection can't carry all the data (album art and thumbs up/down etc)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

pissedoffwookiee is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 ATS Premium 2.0T Phantom Gray, 13 SRX Luxury Carbon Black

i like this, mainly cuz i like any cool trick, but pandora, as much as i love them, sounds bad enough by itself (low volume, compressed fidelity). it seems to me your not being a friend to your ears squeezing it further through bluetooth

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Actually, I am amazed at the clarity and fidelity through the bluetooth....it sounded no different from the hard wired approach. It sounds as good as any of my media sources; in some ways better ( I have the paid subscription).

on the face of it it's not terrible, maybe even good but on the occasion that Pandora plays a song i own, i like to do a/b comparisons, sometimes a/b/c comparisons if i have the CD.

Here are my observations:

CD >= iPod > Pandora

let me explain;

CD (a real bought one, not created from iTunes downloads) has the full uncompressed audio and has a slight edge in richness and fullness to the sound at least to my ears

iPod can be just as good as CD but most of the time is not, this is dependent upon the encoding quality and technique, most songs are encoded in a compromise to balance audio quality and file size. I upgraded all my purchased music from over the years to the newest unlocked iTunes format using iTunes match or it was ripped from CD using variable bit rate and highest quality settings in iTunes, this makes my music about 4 to 6 times larger in file size, better sound almost indistinguishable from the CD, yet still portable enough. I say almost, because although I can barely hear the difference, if at all, I know if i encode loss-less (which makes HUGE files) I know it would be a perfect sounding replica of the CD.

Pandora, sounds good, but when i flip sources back and forth on the same song you can hear the difference, I'm almost about to save a special tone settings just for Pandora.

whidbeyben is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS-4 2.0T Premium

I stream Pandora via Bluetooth via the media input too, but knowing now from this forum that the iPhone must be plugged in via the USB Charge/sync cable for the native CUE Pandora Ap to work clears a lot up. This is not mentioned or explained in any of Cadillac's user manuals or guides. I thought my iPhone was streaming Pandora via Bluetooth because the phone was paired, but I did have the charge/sync cable plugged in for a longer trip. I guess it gives me more of a reason to take the time to plug into the USB, but it is easier to select Audio>Media than to dig my iPhone out of a pocket.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hi All,

I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced while trying to play music off your iPhone. I also apologize it is not explained in the manual. I am happy to hear you were able to share what you found out rustybear3. If anyone has other questions or concerns, please reach out to me via private message. Enjoy your ATS!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by pissedoffwookiee View Post
    on the face of it it's not terrible, maybe even good but on the occasion that Pandora plays a song i own, i like to do a/b comparisons, sometimes a/b/c comparisons if i have the CD.

Here are my observations:

CD >= iPod > Pandora

let me explain;

CD (a real bought one, not created from iTunes downloads) has the full uncompressed audio and has a slight edge in richness and fullness to the sound at least to my ears

iPod can be just as good as CD but most of the time is not, this is dependent upon the encoding quality and technique, most songs are encoded in a compromise to balance audio quality and file size. I upgraded all my purchased music from over the years to the newest unlocked iTunes format using iTunes match or it was ripped from CD using variable bit rate and highest quality settings in iTunes, this makes my music about 4 to 6 times larger in file size, better sound almost indistinguishable from the CD, yet still portable enough. I say almost, because although I can barely hear the difference, if at all, I know if i encode loss-less (which makes HUGE files) I know it would be a perfect sounding replica of the CD.

Pandora, sounds good, but when i flip sources back and forth on the same song you can hear the difference, I'm almost about to save a special tone settings just for Pandora.
    Actually, there is the media and the transmission layer. Media can be cd, dvd, mp3, mp4, aac, html5, HDradio, FMradio, and so on. The transmission is done by your player (device) and connection, e.g. Ipod over USB 2.0, IPhone over BlueTooth 3.0, CD player over analog audio.

With digital formats, you also depends on codecs and the device that builds the stream - it may have different ways of boost bass and treble (independent of your 'main' amp controls).

Whichever transmission you use, CD, BlueTooth, USB, there is ample bandwidth for the stereo music, and usually a higher sampling rate is used than your music source - at least in modern day equipment. If older equipment, there may be limitations (especially for BlueTooth).

As to music sources, Apple did everyone a disservice with their 'midrange quality' 144kbps sampling rate - this is about the lowest anyone is using for streaming audio. Free Pandora is similar at only 128kbps, but the paid-for subscription gets you up to 196kbps. 196kbps is considered to be the minimum standard for High Quality bit rate. Amazon MP3 files are 188kbps, I believe.

MP3 supports up to 320kbps, which is nearly non-discernable from CD quality. CD 'peaks' somewhere around 1411kbps, but practically realized is a more a 500-700kbs range, and the delta from 320kbps is really not noticable.

Either way, inside a moving car, you are not in a great listening environment anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_skies View Post
    Actually, there is the media and the transmission layer. Media can be cd, dvd, mp3, mp4, aac, html5, HDradio, FMradio, and so on. The transmission is done by your player (device) and connection, e.g. Ipod over USB 2.0, IPhone over BlueTooth 3.0, CD player over analog audio.

With digital formats, you also depends on codecs and the device that builds the stream - it may have different ways of boost bass and treble (independent of your 'main' amp controls).

Whichever transmission you use, CD, BlueTooth, USB, there is ample bandwidth for the stereo music, and usually a higher sampling rate is used than your music source - at least in modern day equipment. If older equipment, there may be limitations (especially for BlueTooth).

As to music sources, Apple did everyone a disservice with their 'midrange quality' 144kbps sampling rate - this is about the lowest anyone is using for streaming audio. Free Pandora is similar at only 128kbps, but the paid-for subscription gets you up to 196kbps. 196kbps is considered to be the minimum standard for High Quality bit rate. Amazon MP3 files are 188kbps, I believe.

MP3 supports up to 320kbps, which is nearly non-discernable from CD quality. CD 'peaks' somewhere around 1411kbps, but practically realized is a more a 500-700kbs range, and the delta from 320kbps is really not noticable.

Either way, inside a moving car, you are not in a great listening environment anyways.
    CD player over analog audio
    CD can do digital as well as analog via it's SPDIF connector.

Attachment 115714

that would be #5 in this pic

Attachment 115722

using this cable

Free Pandora is similar at only 128kbps, but the paid-for subscription gets you up to 196kbps.
    According to Pandora's own FAQ only computer based Pandora One (paid) listeners get 192 kbps, all phones according to Pandora get no more that 64k AAC

http://help.pandora.com/customer/por...-audio-quality

196kbps is considered to be the minimum standard for High Quality bit rate. Amazon MP3 files are 188kbps, I believe.
    Amazons own FAQ states their downloads are Variable Bit Rate averaging 256k or a constant 256k, these are are pretty good standards according to your 196kbps threshold.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200389400

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.