One thing Edmunds does right; lots of small updates on their ATS
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 4 Post By DavidL
  • 2 Post By Hoosier Daddy
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, One thing Edmunds does right; lots of small updates on their ATS in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I've been reading every nuance and small tiddly complaint they've had about their long-termer http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/.../interior.html just browse around a bit ...
    M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

One thing Edmunds does right; lots of small updates on their ATS

I've been reading every nuance and small tiddly complaint they've had about their long-termer

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/ats/.../interior.html

just browse around a bit would be my suggestion.

Seems as though their ATS may not be of top-tier build quality.

I don't take away from this that they're nagging, more of just reporting.

the thing about the noise on cue start up has to be defeateable.. it just HAS to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

Re: One thing Edmunds does right; lots of small updates on their ATS

The build quality of my ATS is the best of any car I've owned over the past 40 years, or so. Excellent 'fit and finish' inside and out.

As to the CUE start-up sound; it surely can be changed in volume, or complete silence. It seems no one reads their owner's manual anymore... just complain without checking anything out.
    73JPS, 73JPS, Fullmoon909 and 1 others like this.

EvanZaiNa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t 6MT

i think my build quality is superb as well...my only (minor) complaint ismthat i'm used to a deeper more snug sport bucket seat...but everything thus far is exquisite

DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    ATS build quality is world class. No apologies or excuses needed. Ditto fir all the new GM products. My Escalade is getting oil change lube today and the dealer gave me a '13 Malibu. I'm impressed !

GM is getting back to where they belong. Making the best It's wonderful to see

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

I rather despise this sort of 'hack-half-educated-overly-critical-whilst-trying-to-sound-intelligent-and-witty journalism' exemplified by "Engineering Editor" Jason Kavanaugh in his May 31st entry regarding the Safety Seat:

"I get the concept. It alerts the driver only, unlike auditory alerts that let everyone in the car know that something's up. But every time that freakin' seat twitches I want to burn this car to the ground. It is obnoxious and distracting, which is sort of the point of the thing, and sort of the opposite of the point.

Were the ATS mine I'd skip the Safety Seat altogether. Unfortunately, it is compulsory equipment in Premium trim, so I'd be hunting for an electrical connector to unplug."

This is over-criticism at its worst: Firstly, each warning received is the result of the driver doing something wrong (at least at speed), so if you don't want the warnings, stop driving like an idiot and pay attention. Secondly, if the warnings weren't coming through the driver's ass, they would be auditory, which probably wouldn't be any less annoying. Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, if the "Engineering Editor" doesn't like the warnings from the Safety Seat, he can elect to select them off through CUE and receive the auditory warnings instead.... instead of claiming the requirement to look for an electrical connector to disconnect!

"I get the concept" that the author doesn't like the Safety Seat warnings, and I'm okay with that; I absolutely hate the idea that he has made it seem like the driver doesn't have a choice to select the seat off: that's just poor research and irresponsible reporting.

mcaffey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS
    I agree that the reviewer is saying some silly things. The build quality of my ATS is great. I'm very satisfied. I like the lane departure and collision warning systems. Yeah CUE could use some work but overall this is a great car.

Before I had a BMW 3 Series. Bought it new. Had it six years. Drove great. But talk about reliability problems. I had it in for various serious problems 9 times in 6 years. Three of those were times it had to be towed. So this guy lecturing about the superior build quality of BMW does not ring true with me.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mcaffey
    I agree that the reviewer is saying some silly things. The build quality of my ATS is great. I'm very satisfied. I like the lane departure and collision warning systems. Yeah CUE could use some work but overall this is a great car.

Before I had a BMW 3 Series. Bought it new. Had it six years. Drove great. But talk about reliability problems. I had it in for various serious problems 9 times in 6 years. Three of those were times it had to be towed. So this guy lecturing about the superior build quality of BMW does not ring true with me.
    Me either.

Afaik, the seat vibration can be changed to a tone, or nothing at all, heck, you can even turn off lane departure as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
    Me either.

Afaik, the seat vibration can be changed to a tone, or nothing at all, heck, you can even turn off lane departure as a whole.
    Yes you are correct. And the guy reporting for Edmunds (who can't be bothered to understand the options available before going on a stupid pedantic rant) couldn't figure that out: and he's an "Engineering Editor"... whatever that means.

Hoosier Daddy is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Were you people home sick the day they taught that car salesmen are hired for selling not knowing about cars and automotive journalists are hired for writing not knowing about cars?
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

Take the rants with a grain of salt people.

There are 20 different people driving this car for a piffily 20K miles. Of course being brand new concepts toward functional devices, they're not going to have time to figure the shit out like you and I would.

They have 20 other cars to drive the same month.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Take the rants with a grain of salt people.

There are 20 different people driving this car for a piffily 20K miles. Of course being brand new concepts toward functional devices, they're not going to have time to figure the shit out like you and I would.

They have 20 other cars to drive the same month.
    Doesn't that just sort of sum up the problem with journalism in general? People write "sound bites" on things of which they know nothing; readers read it and end up incorrectly informed.

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    Doesn't that just sort of sum up the problem with journalism in general? People write "sound bites" on things of which they know nothing; readers read it and end up incorrectly informed.
    I could rant on for pages on what problems I have with national media and the 'trust' people place in it, undeservingly.

The main thing to remember is that in automotive journalism, time is so short in the vehicle's they're testing and cars are so similarly well made these days that the only thing left to do *is* nit-pick about the bullshit.

The era of vast engineering or design fallacies are mostly over(Acura and D/I excluded), and when we *do* have failures they sometimes let their personal or business preferences get in the way of being unbiased because lets face it, A lot of their readers buy those cars in the hundreds of thousands.

I can't blame them for that. If I were in such a position as them I'm not certain I would have the mental discipline or business capacity to be truly unbiased. What erks me is that people don't think for themselves and eat up these reviews or reports as if it's solid evidence and start finger pointing because of it. They place upmost trust in people that are by nature of being human and in an environment where bad news sells and editors may have a final say in what you report-- prevents true accurate reporting from happening.

Its why I don't watch any kind of news anymore.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

i'm pretty sure the CUE startup sound is at the bottom of the list of Radio settings
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.