RainSense wipers?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, RainSense wipers? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; I have noticed that my Rainsense wipers seem to be starting when it is not raining? Where is the sensor ...
    WannaV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

RainSense wipers?

I have noticed that my Rainsense wipers seem to be starting when it is not raining? Where is the sensor for this? I was curious if bugs hitting the windshield could trigger it? It seems like it may not be working as sometimes when it rains heavily it doesn't keep up and i have to switch it to manual. I am going to have the dealer check it out next oil change, but was curious if anyone on here has had any trouble with theirs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rustybear3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Re: RainSense wipers?

Nope...works as advertised.

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

The sensor is located at the top center of the windshield in the "black box" forward of the mirror.

There was a earlier thread on this with a lot of information so you might want to do a search for it.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaV
    I have noticed that my Rainsense wipers seem to be starting when it is not raining? Where is the sensor for this? I was curious if bugs hitting the windshield could trigger it? It seems like it may not be working as sometimes when it rains heavily it doesn't keep up and i have to switch it to manual. I am going to have the dealer check it out next oil change, but was curious if anyone on here has had any trouble with theirs.
    I have noticed that if a large bug hits the windshield near the sensor or if your windshield is dirty it could cause an errant swipe.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

Do you keep the switch in the off position when it's not raining? If not, you should. That will prevent accidentally triggering them and its why there is an off switch.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yeah, I kept it off to not swipe bugs or swipe in a car wash...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00
    Do you keep the switch in the off position when it's not raining? If not, you should. That will prevent accidentally triggering them and its why there is an off switch.
    Mine are on always. Very rare to get a false swipe. I only use touch less car washes and even then, only in the winter. That is the only time I turn them off.
    huna and huna like this.

AtlantaGuy00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 DTS, 2013 ATS

I'll have to read the manual again, but I know on my DTS the rainsense wipers will swipe every few minutes after they detect its stopped raining to notify you that they're still on...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy00
    I'll have to read the manual again, but I know on my DTS the rainsense wipers will swipe every few minutes after they detect its stopped raining to notify you that they're still on...
    Not so on the CTS.

romanats is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ats

i still cannot understand how to activate rainsense mine never come on on their own

MASCAD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS4 3.6 2013; CTS-V COUPE 2011

Quote Originally Posted by romanats View Post
    i still cannot understand how to activate rainsense mine never come on on their own
    First click up from the off position on the wiper control stalk. A message should appear (briefly) in the DIC saying they are on.

EChas3 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE

Leaving Rainsense on in the STS runs the headlights for no reason. Is this not also true with the ATS?

Not all implementations of Rainsense meet with owner satisfaction. I wouldn't do without; therefore the 2010 GM's are ALL off my list.

repairman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

My 2007 Escalade wipers worked as properly for about 4 years (set to first notch), but now they are erratic as they work sometime to keep up with the rain and other times the switch on the stalk needs to be turned faster or to off and on to get them to work. Dealer so far, has not found a problem.

CaddySales3.6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 performance

Fun fact, on at ATS (and most 2013 and up gm products) the rain sense wipers deactivate when you put the vehicle in neutral. That way you don't have to turn off the rainsense in most car washes.

But mine have never swiped without rain actually being present.

RocketDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Performance, White Diamond Tricoat

Mine sometimes come on when I wouldn't have turned them on myself, and they stay on a little longer after the rain has stopped. Perhaps a drip comes over the sensor. Basically, they work well though.

I don't think the switch merely being in the 'auto' position turns the lights on though. It takes a few wipes before the lights come on, and then they go off shortly after they quit wiping. At least that's the way mine work.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.