Here's a weird windshield problem
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Bertha D Blues
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Here's a weird windshield problem in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Getting a lot of rain and I noted that with the wipers going, it appeared that the windshield was somewhat ...
    flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Here's a weird windshield problem

Getting a lot of rain and I noted that with the wipers going, it appeared that the windshield was somewhat fogged. Put on the defoger, but didn't make any difference. Finally, figured that the "fogginess" was on the outside, which did clear somewhat, but not all the way. When I got home, I cleaned the new wipers with alcohol and then noted that there were dark "marks" where the wipers rest and also at the points where the wipers moved to their furthest position. I strongly wiped those areas with a detergent soap, alcohol, Invisible Glass, paint thinner, toothpaste=very mild compound. None of which made any difference. Also, one could see differences in window clarity...the clearer sections being those that are covered by the wipers. All was washed as I had washed the marks; again to no avail. It's like the window is "etched," and nothing removes it. Any explanations, solutions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Re: Here's a weird windshield problem

I'm having a hard time understanding, from your explanation, what exactly the problem is that you are experiencing; however, I suggest that you clay bar the windshield regardless: it's good at removing contaminants that may be somewhat stuck into surfaces.

The two things I was trying to describe are
    1. There is some kind of "haze" over the windshield. And you can see a demarcation line between path the wipers run and the rest of the windshield. The area under the wiper pattern is a little clearer than the rest of the windshield.
    2. If you wipe the areas where the wipers are at rest, you will see a thick line that matches the length of the wipers. When the area is dry, you don't see this. This "line" also appears where the wipers hit their "end stroke." Sorry, can't get any better than these descriptions.

I will try the clay, but not sure if it will work as I did use toothpaste (a mild abrasive, maybe too mild), and that didn't work.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Getting a lot of rain and I noted that with the wipers going, it appeared that the windshield was somewhat fogged. Put on the defoger, but didn't make any difference. Finally, figured that the "fogginess" was on the outside, which did clear somewhat, but not all the way. When I got home, I cleaned the new wipers with alcohol and then noted that there were dark "marks" where the wipers rest and also at the points where the wipers moved to their furthest position. I strongly wiped those areas with a detergent soap, alcohol, Invisible Glass, paint thinner, toothpaste=very mild compound. None of which made any difference. Also, one could see differences in window clarity...the clearer sections being those that are covered by the wipers. All was washed as I had washed the marks; again to no avail. It's like the window is "etched," and nothing removes it. Any explanations, solutions?
    Hello flycaster,

I apologize that you are experiencing a haziness of your windshield on your ATS. If you are concerned about what it might be and plan on taking your vehicle to the dealership to get diagnosed, I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership. Send me a private message with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to be in contact with, and I will be able to start assisting you with this concern. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Bertha D Blues is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T AWD, '13 SRX AWD Performance

Well, there's always chunky peanut butter.

I apologize flycaster. I couldn't resist. I too have noticed the streaking in the blade's path and the dificulty getting it clean. Bert
    donavo and donavo like this.

OK, I have gone almost all 9 yards in trying to get these apparently "etched" marks out. BTW, when the glass is dry, you can't see these marks. Lift the wipers into their up position and wipe the windshield with a little water and you will see:

1. Two 1/2" thick lines that lay under the wipers when they are at rest
    2. Outlines of the wipers' paths

I haven't used clay (didn't have any on hand), but did use: Toothpaste, 3M Fine-cut compound, regular compound, vinegar (who knows why), chunky peanut butter, paint thinner, and probably should have used acetone but was afraid to, all rubbed in with a nylon Dobbie (not dubbie) pad...and nothing worked.

GJB
    GJB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium

flycaster, do you have a HUD in your car? My windshield has that slight haze which others have seen and we believe its the film used in the HUD windshield. This does not explain all your concerns but could account for part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJB View Post
    flycaster, do you have a HUD in your car? My windshield has that slight haze which others have seen and we believe its the film used in the HUD windshield. This does not explain all your concerns but could account for part of it.
    No, I don't have HUD. Two things to consider with my windshield problem. Wiper path and marks from where the wipers rest can only be seen when the windshield is wet. And, when it is raining, there is a film on the windshield that forms following the wiper path.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Did you apply the 3M product by hand or by orbital?

My suggestion would be to use some kind of specific glass compound by DA. If that doesn't fix it. Nothing will. New windshield.

www.autogeek.com

there are only a few products I'd use, and only with a glass cut pad. Mothers makes a glass polish you may be able to find locally.

Bottomline is you're not going to remove anything by hand except maybe water etching.

Windshield wipers are coated in graphite, that's the black stuff that you're wiping off when you rub it with alcohol. It's supposed to be there to help the wiper glide on the glass instead of chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Did you apply the 3M product by hand or by orbital?

My suggestion would be to use some kind of specific glass compound by DA. If that doesn't fix it. Nothing will. New windshield.

www.autogeek.com

there are only a few products I'd use, and only with a glass cut pad. Mothers makes a glass polish you may be able to find locally.

Bottomline is you're not going to remove anything by hand except maybe water etching.

Windshield wipers are coated in graphite, that's the black stuff that you're wiping off when you rub it with alcohol. It's supposed to be there to help the wiper glide on the glass instead of chatter.
    Doing stuff by hand with MF towels.

I tried some BarTendersfriend. Didn't work.

Was thinking of steelwool and stuff, but won't do it as I'm getting ready to do battle with the dealership. Aside from not liking to look at the marks when its raining, the misting of the windshield is a real no-no. As the car has only been with me for two months, is always garaged and obviously I have do nothing to cause this condition, I'm hoping I will have a good argument so that the dealer will fix all without any hassle???

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Definitally don't use steelwool.

Me personally I would try to fix it myself before letting some goon R&R a windshield, but I often try more DIY than should be necessary for a car under warranty.

Just because I hate having anyone else's hands on my car I suppose.

Hey, M5eater, I'm with you all the way. OK, no steelwool. But as I don't have a PC (and wont be getting one), working by hand looks as though it won't cut it, and I don't want to screw up the windshield, unfortunately the dealer is my only alternative...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.