C&D say the 3series is dethroned...
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, C&D say the 3series is dethroned... in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test But after we cycled through the cars on our Hill Country loop, the question on everybody’s mind was one ...
    M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

C&D say the 3series is dethroned...

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

But after we cycled through the cars on our Hill Country loop, the question on everybody’s mind was one vocalized by technical editor K.C. Colwell: “Is it possible that the BMW has the worst steering here?” With the F30, BMW wavered. This is the first 3-series that feels less thoroughly engineered than its competition. It’s competent, it’s spacious, it’s comfortable; but in comparison with other cars in its segment, the 3-series is undercooked.
    what irks me is that the ATS is constantly berraged for lack of rear seat room, and yet the E46 is widely upheld as the best of-all 3 series. Which guess what--- has no rear seatroom!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: C&D say the 3series is dethroned...

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test
    what irks me is that the ATS is constantly berraged for lack of rear seat room, and yet the E46 is widely upheld as the best of-all 3 series. Which guess what--- has no rear seatroom!
    I'll agree with you on those two points: The E46 was the best of the lot (and still is); and yes, its back seat was small...but never a problem; and similarly so for the ATS - no problem. However, I do have to admit, that some of the older folks may have to think things out before entering/exiting the back seat. Nonetheless, because these cars do give me a great deal of "driver's pleasure," I'm not all that concerned about the back seat comfort (as most trips are rather short and can be easily handled).

M5eater is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

However, I do have to admit, that some of the older folks may have to think things out before entering/exiting the back seat. Nonetheless, because these cars do give me a great deal of "driver's pleasure," I'm not all that concerned about the back seat comfort (as most trips are rather short and can be easily handled).
    Thats the problem i have with back-seat comparisons in sports sedans. They're there for ocassional, almost emergency use. Not full-time 4 adult hauler duty. That's what a freaking mid-sized car is for.

It's hypocritical to both critize the car for lack of seating for 4 and then focus soley on it's capacity to provide enjoyment to a single occupant-- the driver.

BNRacing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

It annoys me to see them complain about the transmission being junk when in reality its a great trans, just the software behind it is junk. If the test car would have had a tune from us on it it would have been the last thing they complained about. Cadillac needs to step up their game on the software side of things if they really want to impress people.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    That's the problem i have with back-seat comparisons in sports sedans. They're there for occassional, almost emergency use. Not full-time 4 adult hauler duty. That's what a freaking mid-sized car is for.

It's hypocritical to both criticize the car for lack of seating for 4 and then focus solely on it's capacity to provide enjoyment to a single occupant-- the driver.
    Now this is an interesting argument: I wouldn't discount the importance of rear seat room quite so much. If I want a car solely for the enjoyment of the driver, I will buy a sports car. I have an ATS because I need the practicality that having a rear seat brings, while still desiring sports car like handling. Having carried two cars and their related expenses on my own for most of my adult life, I am tired of having the costs of an extra car for driving fun in a separate package, especially when I am driving it less than 1000 miles per year; thus, the extra car is going, and I am making a compromise with the ATS. While for me driving dynamics are more important than rear seat room, others might not feel the same way, so criticizing a lack of rear seat room is still a valid thing to do, IMHO.

mrstecks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T

Before I bought my ATS last November, I decided to see how the back seat felt.
    I got back there, and so did the Sales Associate. We sat there in silence for a few seconds and then he said: "Yeah, it's a bit cramped back here."
    He sounded very apologetic.
    I just shrugged and said, "I don't care. I don't have to sit back here." hahahahaha.....

My elderly father wasn't able to bend himself into the front seat, never mind the back.
    So he's not a fan of my car.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BNRacing
    It annoys me to see them complain about the transmission being junk when in reality its a great trans, just the software behind it is junk. If the test car would have had a tune from us on it it would have been the last thing they complained about. Cadillac needs to step up their game on the software side of things if they really want to impress people.
    Please tell me more about your tune and how it improves the transmissions software. I ask cause to me thats the weak point of the car.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post

Now this is an interesting argument: I wouldn't discount the importance of rear seat room quite so much. If I want a car solely for the enjoyment of the driver, I will buy a sports car. I have an ATS because I need the practicality that having a rear seat brings, while still desiring sports car like handling. Having carried two cars and their related expenses on my own for most of my adult life, I am tired of having the costs of an extra car for driving fun in a separate package, especially when I am driving it less than 1000 miles per year; thus, the extra car is going, and I am making a compromise with the ATS. While for me driving dynamics are more important than rear seat room, others might not feel the same way, so criticizing a lack of rear seat room is still a valid thing to do, IMHO.
    It's not that it shouldn't be criticized. But, it should be a much smaller factor than if comparing mid or full sized sedans...
    M5eater, M5eater, 73JPS and 1 others like this.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

DavidL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 92 Allanté, 2013 ATS4

I agree with all the above... yes, the back seat is not spacious; if you want that feature, you need to get another car. I also have 'issues' with Car & Driver's comment about the CUE system (as well as Consumer's Report); like any new system, it takes time to adjust and understand it; I personally love it; found it, after a couple of weeks and experimenting with it while parked, that it becomes very intuitive to use (I am a 72 year old male); I remember all the uproar over daytime running lights, when they were first introduced....

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Well, DRLs do suck...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

stevenzoz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Well, DRLs do suck...
    unless they are LEDs
    Rozay619 and Rozay619 like this.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

while I still dont agree with the LEXUS winning, I'm still glad they FINALLY kicked the 3 series aside

I think the manual trans is just brilliant by the way

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post

I think the manual trans is just brilliant by the way
    The fact that the ATS has one is brilliant; it turns out it pretty good, too.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by 73JPS View Post
    The fact that the ATS has one is brilliant; it turns out it pretty good, too.
    yeah some people say its notchy, I thought so to at the start, but now its loosened up and its damn precise, I love it!

oh and after looking at that lexus more its butt f***'n ugly!

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BNRacing
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraggy

Please tell me more about your tune and how it improves the transmissions software. I ask cause to me thats the weak point of the car.
    Still hoping for an answer to my question.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.