Buy my ATS 2.0T Premium Manual, I Want a Tesla..
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By AJ21
  • 2 Post By flycaster
  • 2 Post By blue_skies
  • 2 Post By bravnik
  • 2 Post By bravnik
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Buy my ATS 2.0T Premium Manual, I Want a Tesla.. in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; If you have specific questions, please ask. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=346748046 I have the front section blacked out with Plasti Dip (easily removable ...
    bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Buy my ATS 2.0T Premium Manual, I Want a Tesla..

If you have specific questions, please ask.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=346748046
    I have the front section blacked out with Plasti Dip (easily removable if preferred).
    It is also tuned and will come with it. Full warranty, can revert from tuned to stock (why you'd want to, I have no idea) quickly with no issues from dealers.

Ask questions, discuss, etc...

Also yes my description in Auto trader is written kind of lame, but I'm trying to attract people... LOL.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AJ21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T

Re: Buy my ATS 2.0T Premium Manual, I Want a Tesla..

Telsa for a Caddy? I can understand wanting something different but at least get something that runs on good old petrol......your moving from a great car to an appliance.
    But to each their own.
    73JPS and 73JPS like this.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

eh different strokes for different folks I guess, but still, thats a beautiful ATS, I wouldn't wanna trade that for a tesla lol.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ21
    Telsa for a Caddy? I can understand wanting something different but at least get something that runs on good old petrol......your moving from a great car to an appliance.
    But to each their own.
    The Tesla has actually gotten rave reviews on how it performs. It's really supposed to be a very impressive car. My only issue that I would have with it is range anxiety.

One of our executives owns one and he loves it. Works fine for him as a daily driver, but he also does have another vehicle.

flycaster is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Tesla? What a great car, both aesthetically and performance-wise. The sedan is an absolute beauty and it moves, too (the 2013 S Sedan 0-60: Base - 5.4 sec, Performance - 3.9 sec). Only possible thought for consideration is that its range is around 200 miles/charge and it does take a while to charge the car. Nonetheless, talk about high tech cars, this is truly one of them. Good luck and show pictures.
    ben.gators and ben.gators like this.

rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Shouldn't this be in a classified section? Maybe the moderators should add one if there isn't...

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

wallus13 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I would maybe be interested if the leather was a different color... nothing that a friendly mid-western price dip couldn't change

blue_skies is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6L Luxury

Quote Originally Posted by bungee91 View Post
    If you have specific questions, please ask.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=346748046
    I have the front section blacked out with Plasti Dip (easily removable if preferred).
    It is also tuned and will come with it. Full warranty, can revert from tuned to stock (why you'd want to, I have no idea) quickly with no issues from dealers.

Ask questions, discuss, etc...

Also yes my description in Auto trader is written kind of lame, but I'm trying to attract people... LOL.
    Around here, I see several Tesla's in my daily commute now - whereas I see none ATS's.

The Tesla is a $50k car with a $50k sticker to go onto the HOV lanes - which have slowed down considerably ever since they allowed Prius's on the HOV lanes.

The Tesla is a great commute car - especially if can halve your commute time using the HOV lanes. But do remember that you only have about a 3 hour charge in the car, so forget any long drives - re-charching will cut a hole in your day.

The joke around here is that you can drive in a single day from SF to San Diego, but that it will take three days in a Tesla. And San Francisco to Lake Tahoe is a gamble - you probably will not make it to your hotel

The Tesla is a great step forward, and I am happy for the success of the company. The model S is a well designed and built car - borrowing only high-end design elements (and components) from other cars. But around here, it is mostly seen as a commuter's car - not because it saves on fuel, but because it saves on commute time (with the HOV access).

As a single driver, you would be compromised however. Unless you never intent to make long drives in anything but a rental ...

Oh, and check also http://www.teslamotors.com/true-cost-of-ownership,

The Tesla's "effective monthly cost" is taking a lot of discounts into affect: the minimum 10% down payment, the 72 month term, $250 for 15k/year drivers (gas at $5/gallon), tax credits (state dependent), and time savings (HOV lane usage, no stop at gas stations).

The 'base' Tesla lists at $1k/month, the longer-range mid level for $1.2k and the Performance for $1.3k month. (They dropped the 160 miles/45kW battery, at least from the leasing options).

If I ignore the Tesla calculation, and simple compare the $1k per month versus a $500 for a(ny) luxury car, and attribute all savings to gas savings (not time savings), then I would have to consume $500 in monthly gas charges to justify the decision.

$500 in fuel at $4/gallon represents about 125 gallons or about 2500 miles (at 20mpg). This means that you have to drive 30k miles per year to make the math work (at current gas prices) - a bit high for many of us (It roughly translates into a 60 miles commute distance to/from work).

(and those that do drive 30k miles per year, are likely spend more than three hours (200miles) a day in the car).
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

never mind the financial trouble the company is in right now. Who knows if they'll even exist in another 6 months?

GLWS OP,

bungee91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Opulent ATS 2.0T Premium Manual

Thanks to everyone who has replied and given input into this thread!

I can't comment on everything said, however I fully agree that my wanting of a Tesla on an ATS forum isn't always going to be met with open arms...LOL.
    I do VERY much love my ATS in regards to driving feel, chassis, style, etc... A big reason I chose the ATS over a 3 series, C class, etc... was for technology, however IMHO CUE isn't, nor will it be up to my expectations any time soon.
    Also coming from a BMW Z4 M I can't say that I feel the ATS isn't a large step down in the performance section, however a large step forward in the overall daily driving duties (MRC is a fantastic technology!).
    In regards to a monthly payment and the calculator on Tesla's site I've done the math, and even though I'd add a year to my payments (5 year vs 6 year) it would work out to be roughly the same payment for the Tesla (Gas savings included, + I would also put down a good size chunk down payment). That also doesn't include the government/state will refund me $11,500 of the vehicle price! (Federal: $7500, Illinois: $4000).
    I'm not one to lease, and never have (maybe I should reconsider it though), so for me my ATS costs almost $700 a month on a 5 year note. This was 40k over 5 years at 1.49% interest (I paid roughly $8k for taxes/anything over $40k). I also drive a lot and do roughly 15k miles a year. This works out to be just over $300 in gas a month. The ratio of gas to electric in my calculations is 7:1 so $300 is equivalent to ~$45 in electricity for the same mileage. I also work at a laboratory (Argonne) and we have free solar charging for electric cars (it is a pretty big panel assembly, plenty of amperage).

Anyhow the Tesla is as fast if not faster full warranty than a stock ATS, and the technology inside the 17" touch screen works very well! Google maps for navigation over a data connection or Garmin maps for local maps works effortlessly. Also the power delivery of the motor in the Tesla is just a fantastic experience. Something about the same acceleration at basically any speed is just enjoyable.

As for the company and financial troubles, this doesn't concern me. They are the only U.S. company to pay back their federal loans to date (yes I know of Chrysler, there is more to that though). They've also turned a profit and their stock has risen dramatically this year. Also maybe I just want to be different, and relieve myself of the gas prices that can change $.25 in one day lately! This doesn't justify the cost of the vehicle per say, but I do like the idea. Also the wife has a vehicle also that we could use for trips, etc.. Which we actually do very rarely, so if needed it's there, but shouldn't be much of a concern.

The "appliance" comment isn't applicable to this car, however you're entitled to your opinion. This is no Prius, and gets absolute praise on how it drives/handles vs gasoline powered vehicle (yes, not just rated as an electric car).
    Please drive one and judge for yourself, maybe you will hate it, but I think you may even enjoy the experience.
    It didn't win Motor Trend car of the year for nothing, and also it did in a straight line beat a new M5 to 100MPH (performance edition).

Anyhow to each their own and I appreciate the input.
    I will work on putting this correctly in the classified ad section, and maybe shift this thread more to a discussion of my car for sale.
    Thanks.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

I can understand wanting one for the Oooo! and Ah! factor at least your honest in that aspect. In Illinois I bet you see very few if any of them. Where I live I see them every day multiple times so it's all meh to me. At least you didn't bring up trying to save the world or the other crap your typical Prius drivers say. It's a cool car yes but until you can use it for more than 60 miles one way (would you really risk it much more) it's really nothing more than a commuter car with very limited usage.

Not knocking your decision. I'm sure it will get all the attention at the local *$

The idea of of an electric car is good but until they get a battery swap program or quick charge (5m) stations at every gas station, it's never going to fly except for those that feel they need the latest and greatest gadgets. The Volt is a much better idea if saving gas/money is your real concern. It has plenty of range for a commuter but still allows you to get from point a - z without the fear that a totally electric car gives you.

I'm a tech guy by nature but I would never buy one unless it was 100% disposable income and I had money to burn. If I still had a commute that required me to drive I would simply ride my motorcycle every day. I use to do 30k miles a year on my bike. Simply the best/cheapest way to commute ever created

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    The idea of of an electric car is good but until they get a battery swap program or quick charge (5m) stations at every gas station, it's never going to fly except for those that feel they need the latest and greatest gadgets.
    You'll have to add batteries that weigh about the same as a tank of gas before I have any interest but then the interest is thru the roof because electric motors make turbos look pathetic when it comes to easy power increases.

If I still had a commute that required me to drive I would simply ride my motorcycle every day. I use to do 30k miles a year on my bike. Simply the best/cheapest way to commute ever created
    Not just cheapest, also most enjoyable. I always get a chuckle when car owners talk about how this or that model is too slow for them after owning (fill in the blank). A good sport bike does 0-60 in the 2s. As a long term sport bker I never understood getting any thrill from a non-exotic car's acceleration. Forward acceleration is just Gs in one direction. The quickest mass production cars produce less acceleration Gs than the cheapest econo-box can stopping or turning.

bravnik is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T Premium, Raven/Murano, Sunroof, CAP

I agree. I have NEVER arrived at my destination on a bike angry or feeling anything other than pumped and ready to go. If I was forced to drive my car, within 5m of doing so I was so frustrated and usually arrived at work in a foul mood due to stupid people. Living in CA and being able to Split makes it even better. I'm not sure I could ride where I could not split. I would probably have a lot of tickets

The only reason why I don't ride to work now is because my work moved into downtown SF and they reimburse for BART. This saves me anywhere from 200-300 a month if I had to pay for it myself. However, I do miss the commute on the bike. Going from 30k a year to 0 is a serious change and I tend to ride, shale we say, like an ass now when I do get a chance to ride.

Oh and yes, if you feel the need to go fast, nothing beats a bike. Even my VFR which is more a sport touring bike can hit 12's (maybe lower) in the 1/4 without breaking a sweat not to mention the fun in the twisties

Hoosier Daddy is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6

Quote Originally Posted by bravnik View Post
    The only reason why I don't ride to work now is because my work moved into downtown SF and they reimburse for BART.
    The only reason I don't ride to work now is I'm retired. LoL.

But I stopped riding to work when my wife wouldn't let me bungy our 2 year old to the seat when it became necessary for me to take him to day care. The reason I didn't return to riding to work was an old woman ran a stop sign on a side street right in front of my car on a 45 MPH city street. It was a situation where the car wasn't visible until a few feet from the intersection. My car was totaled. Her's was folded in half behind the front seat. The first cop on the scene asked me if they had removed the body of the driver of my car. Now I would not have driven that road on the bike for that exact possibility but it became apparent that such a situation is always possible the first time you drive a road or if conditions change, so I kept driving a car to work and used the bikes on the weekend for road trips.

To bring the post back to ATS relevance, we bought the ATS because some of our vehicles lacked a back seat and none of them had a back door. The ATS lets us easily get our new first grandchild in and out.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.