Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Few Questions - Thinking about buying an ATS

8K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  bluecrayon 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone ..

I am new to the forum and am going to begin looking at Cadillac ATS's next month ... If you don't mind answering some questions for me I would really appreciate it:

1) My main concern is luxury as I spend a lot of time in my car around Houston ... I want the cabin to be quiet/no wind noise, good sound system and the smoothest ride possible .... Of course I want performance but those other things are more important to me ... Is the ATS
something that can satisfy me in regards to what I am looking for ...

2) If the above answer is yes, which ATS should I be looking for ...

3) I am fine with the lower engine even though I don't necessarily like the one tail pipe in the back I wish they all would have two tailpipes; however, I only want the smaller engine because of gas mileage ... is there is a big difference in gas mileage between the engines ..

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
1 - Ride comfort is a personal thing. What is luxury to me might not be luxury to you. It would be best if you test drove one. With that said, I love the way the ATS rides and drives.

2 - I prefer the premium but that is because I wanted everything (in the 2.0 trim). Again, this is personal preference.

3 - I believe there is quite a difference between the 2.5 and the 2.0 MPG wise. To be honest I get miserable mileage but that probably has to do with it being mainly city driving, no oil change yet and I have a really heavy foot.

I'm sure a 2.5 owner will be be able to answer your MPG question a bit better than I.

#4 ·
1. Going to second bravnik's suggestion; test drive would be my recommendation. Every review out there on the ATS describes the ride anywhere from "supple" to "harsh". First and foremost, the ATS is a performance car - a driver's vehicle. The ride is firm, which may or may not be your thing.

2. Again, depends what you want. I went with the Luxury 2.0T with navigation and driver awareness, as that gave me everything I wanted at less cost than the performance or premium models.

3. The 2.5l has the best mileage, followed by the 2.0T and finally the 3.6 v6. Most agree that the 2.0T is the sweet spot balance between performance and economy however.

Sounds like you want a smooth day-to-day cruiser with good economy and maximum comfort. To be honest, there are better cars out there than the ATS for this purpose. If you don't want the handling and performance of the car, I would honestly look elsewhere...

#5 ·
I agree wholeheartedly with Hohum's response. The ATS was my first sports sedan, and I was a bit surprised at how firm the ride was. I've since gotten used to it and continue to love the car... but it's by no means a soft and smooth ride. When it was in for service, I was given an XTS loaner... which had an incredibly soft/smooth ride to it. But it's designed for that.. it's not a sports sedan. It's a boat on wheels.

Other than that it's just an options vs price tradeoff. I went with 3.6 premium mainly because I wanted the HID lights and HUD. I also needed rear folding seats (not available on performance) and liked the way the 18" wheels looked. The gas mileage is so-so... not terrible but definitely not notable. I think you're going to see similar mileage between the 2.5 and 2.0T though. So it's really just an option of 2.5/2.0 vs 3.6 (as far as gas mileage goes).

Whatever you do, test drive the car!! It will tell you wonders about whether or not it's made for you. Most of the people on this board (myself included) love the ATS and are going to tell you how wonderful the car is... but you really need to experience it yourself to make sure it's a good fit for you.

#6 ·
i would suggest 2.0 t with other options you need. Its a really sweet car. The ride is not too bad its not a boat but still does well over bumps. I got the standard rear wheel drive model with a Que. I added HID lights and bought 18 ' Wheels and Auto dimming mirror. Now it has everything i needed. But i would definetely suggest to test drive both models. I knew 2.5 was not for me because i had a New malibu loaner with that engine and i was not impressed it needs more power.

#8 ·
Hey guys ... Thanks for all the responses ... I guess I am confused as when I had my c6 corvette coupe it felt like it road on a cloud of air and obviously it was
performance based car so I am not sure why the ATS cannot be performance and ride like it's on air as well ... Maybe I am being stupid or something :) ... I do plan on test driving the car multiple times though ... I test drove the new chevy impala the other day just for the heck of it and man that car rides quiet but I want a cadillac though and man that ATS looks incredible on the road ... My other option is Lexus ES but I am a GM guy so don't want to leave the "family" ...

Question: How is the wind noise, interior quietness, tire noise, etc inside the cabin because more than anything I want a cabin where the only thing you can
hear are the tailpipes and the speakers and nothing else ...

Thanks guys!

#10 ·
My suggestions: Don't be fooled by the initial ride...the ATS is a tightly wound car; after the first 2000 miles I notice a BIG difference in road comfort; not a boat, but very smooth and responsive IMHO. Second, stay away from Base or Luxury models and go for either the Premium or Performance addition; as the very least get The Performance....it will give you the HIDs plus the LED headlights, lighted handles etc. plus a lot more options for a few thousand more. There are numerous "how can I modify my ATS for HID & LEDS" from Luxury owners who are now trying to get these options after the fact; almost impossible and quite costly. After market LEDS just don't make it; look nothing like originals. You really can't get or duplicate motorized HIDs. I myself have the 2.0T Premium AWD in Diamond white with Brownstone interior with sunroof, polished wheels, and cold weather pkg & driver awareness. .....absolutely love it and have no need to add on options....

#25 ·
My suggestions: Don't be fooled by the initial ride...the ATS is a tightly wound car; after the first 2000 miles I notice a BIG difference in road comfort; not a boat, but very smooth and responsive IMHO. Second, stay away from Base or Luxury models and go for either the Premium or Performance addition; as the very least get The Performance....it will give you the HIDs plus the LED headlights, lighted handles etc. plus a lot more options for a few thousand more. There are numerous "how can I modify my ATS for HID & LEDS" from Luxury owners who are now trying to get these options after the fact; almost impossible and quite costly. After market LEDS just don't make it; look nothing like originals. You really can't get or duplicate motorized HIDs. I myself have the 2.0T Premium AWD in Diamond white with Brownstone interior with sunroof, polished wheels, and cold weather pkg & driver awareness. .....absolutely love it and have no need to add on options....
hats off to you for being able to afford the upper trims good sir.

#11 ·
Hey guys ... I really appreciate the responses ... I agree with you guys that I just need to test drive all the options ... It sounds like an amazing car ... I am so
excited about the possibilities of owning one but am nervous as heck picking the right one ... Want smooth ride on a cloud, quiet interior with zero wind or tire
noise, good performance, great sound system ...

All other responses are appreciated .. Thanks guys!

#14 ·
WrightSports said:
Hey guys ... I really appreciate the responses ... I agree with you guys that I just need to test drive all the options ... It sounds like an amazing car ... I am so
excited about the possibilities of owning one but am nervous as heck picking the right one ... Want smooth ride on a cloud, quiet interior with zero wind or tire
noise, good performance, great sound system ...

All other responses are appreciated .. Thanks guys!
The XTS might be more of what you're describing, but the ATS is worth test driving first. I love mine (hence my username!)

#15 ·
ya, I loved the xts in the renderings but not a huge fan of the looks in person ... I actually think the new impala looks better saw one couple days ago when I
test drove it ... I really like the looks of the ATS ... The fact it is rear wheel drive appeals to me more than anything ..I am going to need to test drive the heck
out of them as I am really nervous about the decision ...

#17 ·
Going to start the long process either next week or week after .. Going to test drive the heck out of it and work as many dealerships as I can to get the best deal ... Next, decision is whether to lease or not but first I want to decide if the ATS is what I am looking for ... I love the way it looks ... Anyone have one that has
issues with interior quality or quality overall or is car the real thing?

#18 ·
WrightSports said:
Going to start the long process either next week or week after .. Going to test drive the heck out of it and work as many dealerships as I can to get the best deal ... Next, decision is whether to lease or not but first I want to decide if the ATS is what I am looking for ... I love the way it looks ... Anyone have one that has
issues with interior quality or quality overall or is car the real thing?
It is the real thing, in my opinion. I've been nothing but impressed with all aspects of it after 5,000 miles.

#20 ·
Hi there . I have the ATS luxury 2.5 I4, with the CUE AMD brembo brakes & 225/45R17 tires/rims(rims are machine polished aluminium w clear coat) and metallic blue. It is a looker.
Don't get the 2.0 ltr turbo it use premium gas instead of regular and the mpg is not much different. Just about 70 up difference. But really you cannot tell the difference when your driving.
Good luck on your choice. This car has chance my mind about GM, I used to be a Honda guy, this is my second Cadillac in 4 yrs.

----------

Reply to your last post.
It's the real deal, I'm enjoying every single mile I'm setting in this car. But isn't perfect. Some minor quality & fit issues inside & out. Not noticeable at first but they are there. Like the crime around the windows is not perfectly align, some bad switching in the seats, body paint not apply evenly.
Don't get me wrong, just my O C D acting out.
I was going to lease but the dealer a got mine from let Mr take the model I wanted for the weekend, not thevsamr color forfeiture but mechanically the same. So I finance the purchase.
Great choice made, I can see this being a classic in 30 yrs from now.

#21 ·
Don't get the 2.0 ltr turbo it use premium gas instead of regular and the mpg is not much different. Just about 70 up difference. But really you cannot tell the difference when your driving.
Sorry to correct you there, but the 2.0T does not require premium gas, it just recommends it. You can run it just fine on regular.

The base 2.5L is a solid engine and puts of perfectly acceptable power for day-to-day use. It's also the most economical unit. I still stick by the opinion that the 2.0T is the best compromise of power and economy for this chassis however. Be interested to hear what you think after a test drive.

Oh, and in terms of interior quality - I actually like the ATS interior the most out of all the cars in its segment. The Mercedes has too many buttons and dials, the BMW 3-series is nice (but too minimalist for my tastes), and the Audi A4 felt like sitting in someone's old 1980's Casio wrist watch... Really feel that GM nailed the interior quality thing with the ATS, at least for my own personal preference.

#22 ·
Hi hohums, I agree with in regards to the other vehicles.
Just want thing though, in my opinion if a vehicle recommends 87 oct. You use it and if it recommends to use 91 oct you use it. Even though you may not notice the difference, but it will prevent knocking for one.
Also remember your warranty, if something were to happen to the the fuel,emission systems and engine ,you may not be be cover because the "recommendations" were not followed.
I owned a 07 srx4, it recommends mobil1 oil, it's expensive and have use it since day one, even now that warranty had expired I'm still using it, & have not had any issues. Just my opinion!.
Yes I test drove all the 3 different engines, yes 2ltr is very good but for me 2.5 ltr met my needs.

#23 ·
Yup and I completely agree that following the recommendations is the way to go. My point was just that, unlike one of the German sedans, it's not actually required to run 91 octane. It's a selling feature that you don't actually require it to run the car, so I doubt they would invalidate the warranty over that. All that said though, I put 91 Oct in my 2.0T and it runs great :)

#24 ·
Hohums said:
Yup and I completely agree that following the recommendations is the way to go. My point was just that, unlike one of the German sedans, it's not actually required to run 91 octane. It's a selling feature that you don't actually require it to run the car, so I doubt they would invalidate the warranty over that. All that said though, I put 91 Oct in my 2.0T and it runs great :)
Actually when you figure out the difference in cost between 87 and 91 octane, on average about 10c a litre difference in Southern Ontario, it will only cost you around $200 a year to use 91 (of course, depending on how much you drive)

#29 ·
2.0T manual RWD checkin in!

its a phenomenal car, me being a student I couldn't/shouldn't have gotten the upper trims, but this car is seriously a blast.

RWD, Stick, Limited slip diff, great sound system (IMHO) BEAUTIFUL lookin car, the 2.0T f***'n hustles, sublime chassis, Brembo brakes!!(standard on the 2.0) ... I could go on and on but it truly is a great car and I love it more and more each time I drive it.

I dont have factory HID's but I'm over it, I ordered aftermarket ones, so no big deal.

if you can get a good deal/decent lease rate just do it, seriously, you wont be disappointed, and if you're into tuning at all, the LTG really is an angry beast, its just, chained down from the factory :sneaky:

** oh and desmar, the Brembo's are perfect, engage high and grab like a vise, I LOVE them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.