Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Few Questions - Thinking about buying an ATS

8K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  bluecrayon 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone ..

I am new to the forum and am going to begin looking at Cadillac ATS's next month ... If you don't mind answering some questions for me I would really appreciate it:

1) My main concern is luxury as I spend a lot of time in my car around Houston ... I want the cabin to be quiet/no wind noise, good sound system and the smoothest ride possible .... Of course I want performance but those other things are more important to me ... Is the ATS
something that can satisfy me in regards to what I am looking for ...

2) If the above answer is yes, which ATS should I be looking for ...

3) I am fine with the lower engine even though I don't necessarily like the one tail pipe in the back I wish they all would have two tailpipes; however, I only want the smaller engine because of gas mileage ... is there is a big difference in gas mileage between the engines ..

Thanks guys!

#33 ·
I got the Premium because of the MRC and my previous experience with my CTS-V. IMO it rides somewhat better than the standard "sport" suspension that all the other models use. I had an ATS Luxury with 17" run-flats for a week as a loaner, and my car definitely has less harshness, while handling better even in "touring" mode. I only use "sport" to go over speed humps, as it allows me to go over them faster; otherwise, that setting is way too stiff for street driving, IMO. The 2.0 is not only much quicker under full power than the 2.5, it is also much smoother and quieter. It does run fine on regular gas, too, though it will be a bit quicker on full throttle on premium, and I think it gets slightly worse mileage as well, but I am still experimenting with it. No warranty issues, as the manual states regular is allowed, unlike with my V, where premium was required. It's only recommended for maximum power.

Note that the MRC is only available on the Premium with RWD, not AWD. Also be aware that with all of the same options, the Premium is only about $2K more than the Luxury, and $1K more than the Performance, and you get a lot of kit for that slight premium. Plus, the MRC is only available on the Premium.

#34 ·
Seriously OP just go drive the different models and see what you like, if you drive a Premium then a standard and think you just wont survive without some of the tech in the premium then well, you know what to do.

I drove them ALL and I gotta say, the premium has some neat party tricks, but just not enough to justify the extra money. The 2.0 has MORE than enough power for every day, I drove a 2.5 and while its not a bad car, the engine felt a bit.. wheezy? like you really had to wring it out to get that supposed 200hp (didn't feel like 200 IMO), and I didn't like the single exhaust outlet on the 2.5

If you get the 2.0 you also get Brembo's, dual exhaust, somewhat nicer flared wheels and some other stuff, and if you get the stick you get LSD automatically as well :)

#35 ·
Completely agree re: the engine power on the 2.0T. Before I took delivery of the car I was reading all about people wanting to tune it, complaining that it lacked power, etc. Guess it's all perspective-based, but coming from a Subaru Legacy this thing takes off like a rocket to me. More power than I need for day-to-day driving.

If I was driving hard on back-roads or at a track a lot, then I can see things like a tune and mods making a difference. But for Joe Everyman, the 2.0T is great IMHO.

#36 ·
this^ I came from a supercharged cobalt SS, was at about 240WHP, and this thing still feels much quicker at the top end(of course S/C quicker at the bottom end) the 2.0 has NO problem getting outta the way, 273 hp is nothing too sneeze at, you wont have much trouble passing people

#37 ·
Sorry guys, I have a 2.0 and wish I'd gotten the 3.6L. After 5000+ miles in the ATS I finally had to drive my old 335, now my wife's as she needed my car for the day. Just WOW is all I can say. It was a ****ing rocket. I'm sure the 3.6 is as well. A light touch of the throttle and you're blasting down the road insanely. Giggle all day kinda speed. Lol. I'm stuck now but will never make this mistake again. Don't even think about it, just get the 3.6.

----------

What prude runs this site? I wrote f u c k i n g and the god damn site changed it to ****ing. Ugh! Are we children? WTF.

#38 ·
lol more of the mature audience forums do that with cuss words, on cobalt SS.net you could write whatever you wanted..but it was a much younger less mature crowd haha.

See I got the 2.0 because I HAD to have a manual, just had to. As well, I know I'll be modding it, I also know what its capable of quite easily(getting my down pipe/inter cooler soon) and after the tune this thing will stomp a 3.6 without trying :sneaky:. But I suppose if you're not into modding then the 3.6 might be better for ya.

#40 ·
Hoosier Daddy said:
Please use WT* instead of WTF. There are children present.

----------

You were doing good until the last sentence when you succumbed to precopernicusism, not that it is uncommon in forums. It's okay to confess you made a mistake but kind of silly to think everyone else would have identical needs or be prone to the same mistakes. Every model and combination of options is just right for some people and not good enough for others. For example, the automatic transmission you are forced to take with a 3.6 is absolutely intolerable for some drivers. So for some of them, the 3.6 ATS dosn't even make their top 100 list of cars to drive. We tested the various combinations extensively and the 2.0T and manuaul transmission was by far the best combination for us. The final test we did was a 5 hour test to check out seat comfort for long drives and anything else that was missed in the shorter tests. That car was a 3.6. We knew we didn't like the transmission from the earlier tests but it was so unpleasant in the longer test we couldn't wait to get it back to the dealer. But I wouldn't presume to tell you or anyone else they must not buy a 3.6 or ATS with auto transmission because they are certainly what some people such as yourself like and want.
The guy wanted an opinion and I gave one. I don't have to worry about precopernicusism lol.

#43 ·
Hi craggy, did u get the auto or manual?
I got the the 2.5 ltd I4/auto with the brembo brakes.
I like the 3.6 a lot but I do about 2 fill ups a week so economy was my thing. If I was driving as much I do I would have gotten it.
But the brakes make up some of the difference in horsepower by late braking.
Depends on your dealer & the salesman, sometimes u can exchange with zero or little penalty.
Below r my ATS & SRX4
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

#45 ·
I own a 2008 CTS premium performance. I drove a 2.0 premium ATS for a loaner. All I can say is I thought to my self "this is one bad ass little car." It was very comfortable and plenty of room for the driver (I am 6'5" 300 lbs) with really broad shoulders and long legs. I was very comfortable. The ride was smoother than my bigger CTS the interior is quiet and the top of the line Bose surround sound kicks ass! The HD radio sound amazing. Some people have trouble with the cue but I think it is kinda cool and I like it. I did NOT care much for the turbo engine you really have to flog it to keep the turbo spooled up. I was unimpressed with standing starts. I would much rather have the 3.6. My car is under warranty until august or I would probably have already bought an ats. But now that I have seen the new cts I think I will wait to drive one of those. All in all the ATS is an awesome car and it will be a tough decision between the new cts and an ATS premium.

#46 ·
WrightSports said:
Hi Everyone ..

I am new to the forum and am going to begin looking at Cadillac ATS's next month ... If you don't mind answering some questions for me I would really appreciate it:

1) My main concern is luxury as I spend a lot of time in my car around Houston ... I want the cabin to be quiet/no wind noise, good sound system and the smoothest ride possible .... Of course I want performance but those other things are more important to me ... Is the ATS
something that can satisfy me in regards to what I am looking for ...

2) If the above answer is yes, which ATS should I be looking for ...

3) I am fine with the lower engine even though I don't necessarily like the one tail pipe in the back I wish they all would have two tailpipes; however, I only want the smaller engine because of gas mileage ... is there is a big difference in gas mileage between the engines ..

Thanks guys!
I got myself a 3.6 awd luxury. It is very quiet and smooth, but certainly rides stiff and maybe a bit rough for some because it is a sport sedan! My great uncle is a caddy dealer and has been driving them his whole life and he said "it rides like I was being pulled through a field by a tractor"..... Ha ha to each is own. I'm coming from a Malibu, a rav4 ans a 97 z28 and it's light years in comfort, ride, handling AND performance above them, even my camaro. You may want to check out the magnetic ride if you're very into ride.

As far as mileage.....oh man. I do like half highway, half city with a somewhat heavy foot and I'm getting around 18-19 for the first 1000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.