New Owner - Any Useful Tips?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By EvanZaiNa
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, New Owner - Any Useful Tips? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; Hi all! My name's Evan and I'm the proud new owner of a black ATS 2.0 6MT with black interior ...
    EvanZaiNa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0t 6MT

New Owner - Any Useful Tips?

Hi all!

My name's Evan and I'm the proud new owner of a black ATS 2.0 6MT with black interior and aluminum trim!

It's currently in the shop as I'm having the dealership remove the badges, black out the grill, back accent, and window trim, and the 18"s powder coated black. I should be picking her up sometime next week and couldn't be more excited! Will post pics.

I've had a few cars in my time, but this is my first Cadillac. Any useful tips out there? Even small things that might not be intuitive like the parking brake control being a rather small switch behind the gear shift...

Thanks!
    gmesam and gmesam like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New Owner - Any Useful Tips?

You'll get a LOT more info on your specific car up in the ATS forums. Moved.

donavo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0T MANUAL

Quote Originally Posted by EvanZaiNa View Post
    Hi all!

My name's Evan and I'm the proud new owner of a black ATS 2.0 6MT with black interior and aluminum trim!

It's currently in the shop as I'm having the dealership remove the badges, black out the grill, back accent, and window trim, and the 18"s powder coated black. I should be picking her up sometime next week and couldn't be more excited! Will post pics.

I've had a few cars in my time, but this is my first Cadillac. Any useful tips out there? Even small things that might not be intuitive like the parking brake control being a rather small switch behind the gear shift...

Thanks!
    i would suggest washing ur car urself cuz it took only one wash from a carwash to put the maximum allowed swirl marks on my raven black ats as possible....

also, im assuming ur murdering the ats? blacking everything out? not a fan of the look but i would be interested to see how it comes out.

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Funny you mention the parking brake: I wasn't sure how well I would get used to it, but it works very well and fairly intuitively. Basically it's operation is just as if it were a handbrake: pull up to set (you don't have to hold it), and push it down to release. You just have to remember to have your foot on the brake when releasing it, or it will stay engaged.

thanks, submariner!

i'm sure there's a lot of nifty little things i will discover.

i usually wash my own car, but it is VERY good to know about the fragility of the paint. i've always waited for my car to be a year old before even considering a car wash so i suppose if i'm in a pinch i should use a hand car wash!

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

... is VERY good to know about the fragility of the paint. i've always waited for my car to be a year old before even considering a car wash so i suppose if i'm in a pinch i should use a hand car wash!
    Agreed, hand wash is the safest way to protect your car's finish. I've heard, and my SA confirmed, that Cadillac uses some kind of ceramic paint. Wouldn't one think that if this is the case, that it would take some really "dirty" cleaning/drying rags to put swirls on the finish? I mean, ceramic is pretty hard and shouldn't be easily scratched.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    Agreed, hand wash is the safest way to protect your car's finish. I've heard, and my SA confirmed, that Cadillac uses some kind of ceramic paint. Wouldn't one think that if this is the case, that it would take some really "dirty" cleaning/drying rags to put swirls on the finish? I mean, ceramic is pretty hard and shouldn't be easily scratched.
    Its funny you say this, but at work yesterday I asked the Paint shop Manager if they use a different kind of paint on the XTS than on the Camaro, regal and Impala, he said "nope, same stuff"

so.. yeah.. lol

but congrats!! with the MT you also get LSD standard!! be proud

maybe the paint issue is due to curing time?

i'm no paint expert, but if i recall correctly most auto paints (and paints in general) don't completely harden inside of the first twelve months plus (though they get close to it) - could wrong

73JPS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Performance 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo Supremo View Post
    Its funny you say this, but at work yesterday I asked the Paint shop Manager if they use a different kind of paint on the XTS than on the Camaro, regal and Impala, he said "nope, same stuff"

so.. yeah.. lol
    Reminds me of when I was wandering around my dealership and I saw a new Malibu in "Crystal Red Tintcoat" for a price premium of roughly $300 give or take... on the ATS it's a $1300 premium! Marketing and status: gotta love it!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    maybe the paint issue is due to curing time?

i'm no paint expert, but if i recall correctly most auto paints (and paints in general) don't completely harden inside of the first twelve months plus (though they get close to it) - could wrong
    Not anymore. The factory paint is almost fully cured before it leaves the factory...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.