Anyone notice review models lack a sunroof?
cadillac ats forums cadillac ats forums
CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac ATS General Discussion Forum Discussion, Anyone notice review models lack a sunroof? in Cadillac ATS Discussion Forums; So there's a general notion if you will, that sun-roof less cars are better in some perceived way. be it ...
    M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Anyone notice review models lack a sunroof?

So there's a general notion if you will, that sun-roof less cars are better in some perceived way.

be it the idea that a giant hole in a major structural reinforcement is bad, or that there's an extra 50 lbs at the very worst spot possible in a car, what have you.

My last car I bought lacked such a feature, one that I thought would pay dividends in the end (because I could acutally fit my giant melon with a helmet inside the car) however I found myself missing it more than relishing the fact that it wasn't there.

Here's the kicker. In the many ATS ring video's wherein GM shows off how they've tuned the car perfectly. The car has a roof!

the question I propose is;
    a) does anyone have any knowledge, or insight that there's a significant disadvantage in adding a roof?

Frankly I'm not certain I care anymore, The 1 month I need a helmet I think that next time I'll put up with cocking my head to the right in order to fit so that I can enjoy the other 29 days in an open-air car.

However, it does bring up a good topic of discussion. Has GM engineering enough structural rigidity into the car to make up for a hole, or is there an acutal measurable weight and rigitiy disadvantage.

My guess is no.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

flycaster is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T AT Lux, 2005 Z4 2.5i

Re: Anyone notice review models lack a sunroof?

Can't answer your questions, M5eater, but i will say that with the sunroof, one loses about 1 to 1.5" headroom. Could be a problem for tall folks if they don't lower their seats.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by M5eater
    So there's a general notion if you will, that sun-roof less cars are better in some perceived way.

be it the idea that a giant hole in a major structural reinforcement is bad, or that there's an extra 50 lbs at the very worst spot possible in a car, what have you.

My last car I bought lacked such a feature, one that I thought would pay dividends in the end (because I could acutally fit my giant melon with a helmet inside the car) however I found myself missing it more than relishing the fact that it wasn't there.

Here's the kicker. In the many ATS ring video's wherein GM shows off how they've tuned the car perfectly. The car has a roof!

the question I propose is;
    a) does anyone have any knowledge, or insight that there's a significant disadvantage in adding a roof?

Frankly I'm not certain I care anymore, The 1 month I need a helmet I think that next time I'll put up with cocking my head to the right in order to fit so that I can enjoy the other 29 days in an open-air car.

However, it does bring up a good topic of discussion. Has GM engineering enough structural rigidity into the car to make up for a hole, or is there an acutal measurable weight and rigitiy disadvantage.

My guess is no.
    I really don't think it's a structural issue anymore. Think about the metal that is in between the roof rails. If you push down on it you can flex or dent it. Hardly strong enough to provide any structural benefits. The roof rails along with that A and C pillars are what is providing the support. Just look at the cowl shake that you get on a convertible. We have a Mustang that was designed from the outset to be a convertible. If you look underneath the car there are cross braces under the car, and the rocker panels are reinforced as well as the framing along the firewall. Yet you will still see cowl shake over rough roads or crossing rough railroad tracks. It's also heavier because of all that additional reinforcement.

I think the biggest gripe with the sunroof is the loss of headroom. I don't think the additional weight of the glass panel is THAT much of a penalty.

I am with you though, I will always have a sunroof, although for me personally I wish Cadillac would have thought through the sunroof on the CTS coupe. I don't understand why they couldn't have it lift over the roof.
    AtlantaGuy00 and AtlantaGuy00 like this.

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue

I passed on the sunroof for the extra room, specifically in the back seat. Anyone of above average height sitting in the back seat has to tilt their head back to get behind the sunroof cavity. It's not comfortable. Since I was switching from a two-seater to a four door to be able to take more passengers, I decided to try not to make them too miserable.

Fraggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    I didn't really care either way. After my wife's sunroof "blew out" with our kid the backseat, I could care less to have one. Luckily the cover was shut or all that glass would have flown into his face and eyes. When I found a car, it was a premium with NO sunroof, I was sold.

rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

I absolutely would NEVER get a car without a sunroof, and I for the life of me don't get the lack of headroom complaint. I'm 6' 2" and my wife 5' 10" and have no head room problems whatsoever getting in and out of the car....not once. You guys must be extremely long in the trunk, for I personally know other ATS owners that are above average in height and they have not noticed this so called problem. Now if you are 6' 4" or taller, yes, you're going to have problems with headroom in just about ANY car IMHO. Now if you have families, you really should go with either the XTS or the new CTS for backseat room. This ATS isn't really designed to be a family car; it's truly a sports car environment, which is just perfect for my wife and myself. Back seats are really just for the occasional passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by cdp View Post
    I passed on the sunroof for the extra room, specifically in the back seat. Anyone of above average height sitting in the back seat has to tilt their head back to get behind the sunroof cavity. It's not comfortable. Since I was switching from a two-seater to a four door to be able to take more passengers, I decided to try not to make them too miserable.
    in an ultraview I would agree, rear room is decreased, However, in these traditional upfront configurations, typically there's a point where the roof ends. IE there shouldn't be any head-room penalty in the ATS with a roof. I will admit I didn't specificly look to check though.

I absolutely would NEVER get a car without a sunroof, and I for the life of me don't get the lack of headroom complaint.
    I'm 6' 2"-3" as well. I've never bumped my head on a roof before, but I will say I only have about 1-2" of room left. When I want to go play around, I need my helmet on(a simpson diamondback) which quickly takes up any slack and then suddenly, I need another 1-2" of room to be comfortable.

rustybear3 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS White Pearl Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I'm 6' 2"-3" as well. I've never bumped my head on a roof before, but I will say I only have about 1-2" of room left. When I want to go play around, I need my helmet on(a simpson diamondback) which quickly takes up any slack and then suddenly, I need another 1-2" of room to be comfortable.
    That's why you should have a sunroof and have it opened if your bouncing around taking the car through a workout; without a sunroof odds are you're bound to hit the roof regardless....

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybear3
    I absolutely would NEVER get a car without a sunroof.
    I am the same way, it would be very difficult for me to pass on that option.

gfxbt is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T MT

My ATS is my first car sans sunroof (the car on the lot had everything I wanted but sunroof, and I was just to antsy to get an ATS to order). I miss my sunroof. Other than the thoughts above (i.e., weight at the top of the car, lessened structural rigidity), I haven't heard any ATS-specific reasons to go sans sunroof.

Interestingly, when the 997 GT3RS was announced for the US, all cars were to have sunroofs. A bunch of people that pre-ordered were quite upset about this, and sent letters to Porsche in an attempt to persuade them to change their mind. Apparently it worked, and all US spec 997 GT3RSs are sans sunroof. The only reason I know of that they did this (other than weight and structural rigidity) was that Euro spec cars were all sans sunroof. If I were a betting man, I would bet the big reason for the request was to keep the US cars inline with the Euro cars, as I assume most of the 299 (if I am remembering correctly) US spec 997 GT3RS owners won't be tracking their cars.

SLA
    SLA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '13 ATS 2.0T 6MT, 05 LGT, 97 M3

Not having a sunroof is a major deal when you're 6'7" like me. The 2.5i non-sunroof loaner we had had a ton of headroom.

In the pursuit of performance, the least amount of weight is desirable. The sunroof and the assembly probably weigh ~50lbs. Not only do you have the weight alone, it is also at the very top of the car increasing the center of gravity. When I was searching for my M3, I could not find one of the highly desirable non-sunroof equipped cars in my price range, or on the right coast. The first mod I made when I bought mine was to put a racing seat in it. Someday I'll remove the sunroof assembly (and plug the hole) to gain another couple inches, because I still rub the roof very slightly with my helmet on.

Stevo Supremo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS RWD 2.0 Manual

I didn't order the sunroof, I never use them anyways, my cobalt had one and I always had it shut lol, plus, this saved me what, $1000?

cdp
    cdp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 3.6 Premium. Opulent Blue

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    in an ultraview I would agree, rear room is decreased, However, in these traditional upfront configurations, typically there's a point where the roof ends. IE there shouldn't be any head-room penalty in the ATS with a roof. I will admit I didn't specificly look to check though.

I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam, so don't think I'm unusually long in the trunk. I did sit in the back seat, and I had to lean my head back uncomfortably to clear the sunroof cavity. Front seat room was OK with seat down low, but back seat was a problem. With no sunroof I have no problem having my 5'10" daughter sitting behind me, so have no need for a front wheel drive boat like the XTS, and the CTS was not available at the time. The alternative would have been to get yet another BMW, which I didn't need to do. I also don't really care about a sunroof, so it was a very easy decision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cdp View Post
    I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam, so don't think I'm unusually long in the trunk. I did sit in the back seat, and I had to lean my head back uncomfortably to clear the sunroof cavity. Front seat room was OK with seat down low, but back seat was a problem. With no sunroof I have no problem having my 5'10" daughter sitting behind me, so have no need for a front wheel drive boat like the XTS, and the CTS was not available at the time. The alternative would have been to get yet another BMW, which I didn't need to do. I also don't really care about a sunroof, so it was a very easy decision for me.
    I'll defer to your comments.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    No sunroof cars are for communists...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.